Harold Ramis Calls KOCS "A Disaster..."

Forbidden Eye

Darth Vile said:
Dare I say it, but Ghostbusters wasn't that great. It's largely carried by the fun premise, great soundtrack and Bill Murray's always watchable performance. As you mention, I'd be amazed if GB3 doesn't center on the passing of the torch to Venkman Jnr (the rumored Jack Black role).

Amazingly enough, I found some article of some critic claiming it was the best movie ever made.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/caitlin_moran/article6585424.ece
;)

Jonesy9906753

DocWhiskey said:
Ramis's approach to GB3 seems to be the same as Spielberg's approach to KOTCS. Which, to me, means fans would find it enjoyable if they stop being such whiny little critics.
5555f.png

Dewy9

Well, as Dennis Miller would say, I'm bit surfing here (taking someone else's joke and putting the finishing touches on it, and act like I came up with it), but Harold Ramis would be familiar with disasters, considering he's directed many of them.

Morning Bell

He's entitled to his opinion but I personally loved KOTCS and Ramis hasn't exactly directed anything good or interesting in quite a long time. His statements about Ghostbusters 3 are disconcerting because it makes me think "What's the point of making it then?" He's already admitting that it can't live up the original, which is probably true, but it's such a defeatist attitude. Why bother making another if you honestly don't think you can do justice to it?

He'll have a rude awakening if Ghostbusters 3 gets the same backlash that Indy IV did, considering both were 80's staples that have waited nearly two decades for another installment. I love Ghostbusters but I don't think he's in any position to make those kinds of judgements, especially when he still hasn't gotten Ghostbusters 3 off the ground. While I would love to see another one, it's probably not going to gross even close to what Indy IV pulled in. I just have a feeling he may have to eat those words eventually.:)

Last edited:

DocWhiskey

Besides posting links to the Indycast, Indy news is kind of rare as of now. TheRaider.net will post anything. Anything I tells ya!

Zorg

There'll be an even longer gap between Ghostbusters 2 and the forthcoming part 3 than there was between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull.

"Not as easy as it used to be." ;)

Darth Vile

QBComics said:
*chokes on food*

Where the hell did this rumor come from?!
Your usual internet chatter... 99.9% speculation. Saying that, I don't believe for a second that GB3 will just focus on three men in their 50/60's. Like KOTCS, I think it would be ticket sale suicide to ignore a younger audience. Ergo younger actors.

Mickiana said:
Darth, it's a tortuous point for me to digest i.e. that replication of a good movie might not be possible. I've bleated my woes too many times about this issue already and so it is with a heavy heart I'm almost ready to concede to your point. When I imagine that another 'on par with Raiders' movie should be possible, it may just be idealism or longing telling me that "they can do it!" I suppose I cannot imagine the many many factors that 'steer' a movie in the direction it ends up going, especially blockbusters from Hollywood that have such a heritage. Is Raiders the best because it was the first, or does it have intrinsic qualities that, for some reason, don't seem to find their fulfillment in sequels?

I think there are numerous reasons why movies such as Raiders can't really be surpassed by sequels...

Firstly, as it's a high concept action/adventure movie, it's difficult to advance/progress the original premise. After all, Indiana Jones isn't on an emotional journey of discovery. Therefore, Indy movies will only be as good as the action/set pieces they contain. And that in itself is finite... because there are only so many ways to film/direct a vehicular chase scene or booby trap. The only way they can now evolve/progress an Indy movie, is to start again a la Batman Begins/The Dark Knight - but that's a different conversation.

Secondly, as you mention, a reason why Raiders is still regarded as the "best", is that it was the first... so it did get the lions share of the best ideas, the enthusiasm, and the majority of the blood, sweat and tears. I think it's probably true to say that the more blood, sweat and tears you put into something, the better chance of producing something of greater quality. And for these reasons, I personally think Raiders has not been surpassed and would not be bettered if they made a dozen more.

James

Darth Vile said:
Your usual internet chatter... 99.9% speculation. Saying that, I don't believe for a second that GB3 will just focus on three men in their 50/60's. Like KOTCS, I think it would be ticket sale suicide to ignore a younger audience. Ergo younger actors.

Ramis has also said it will center around a younger team of Ghostbusters- with the original actors serving as mentors.

Grizzlor

Ramis is a comedy writer, Ackroyd was the science fiction guy. The movie needs to have more input from Dan, unlike GB II, which was lousy.

UIMJ

Dan Akroyd has hinted that Alyssa Milano might reprise her role from the recent Ghostbusters game and actually be one of the next generation Ghost Busters in the new movie.

IIRC this was during an interview that was downloadable from the PS Network.

Col. Detritch

So he liked it hu! Not for the reasons you'd expect but appraisal is appraisal in any form!;)

Originally Posted by Darth Vile
Secondly, as you mention, a reason why Raiders is still regarded as the "best", is that it was the first... so it did get the lions share of the best ideas, the enthusiasm, and the majority of the blood, sweat and tears.

Right! But I also think Raiders is seen as the best because it was first. There was nothing to compare it to. It had no standard to surpass and thus gave the writers and Producers ect. more freedom and less pressure to come up with something fantastic and entertaining. The next three were plagued with the added pressure to improve on the master mould and to compete with Raiders and the critics/ fans judgmental approval. And that?s the key reason why the original is seen as a better film than its sequel.

Originaly Posted by Forbidden Eye
Amazingly enough, I found some article of some critic claiming it was the best movie ever made.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6585424.ece

What a moron! How was this a comment. It went a little overboard, she was pushing her opinion on us. She went as far as to talk about using quotes GB's quotes in real life compared to Star Wars ones. First thing- your sad to constantly be using GB's quotes in your life. One or two are ok (or a few if your on a GB form) but not all the time you freak. Secondly Star Wars quotes kick GB's qoutes arse any day. Don't take my word you deside 'No... I am your father!' (Or 'Luke I am your father') or 'Back off man, I?m a scientist'?:hat:

Darth Vile

Col. Detritch said:
Right! But I also think Raiders is seen as the best because it was first. There was nothing to compare it to. It had no standard to surpass and thus gave the writers and Producers ect. more freedom and less pressure to come up with something fantastic and entertaining. The next three were plagued with the added pressure to improve on the master mould and to compete with Raiders and the critics/ fans judgmental approval. And that’s the key reason why the original is seen as a better film than its sequel.

Agreed - That is certainly a part of it... Raiders, like Star Wars (IMHO), is the "better" movie for both the empirical movie making reasons, as well as the cultural/sociological/psychological ones.

Jonesy9906753

DocWhiskey said:
kudos doc :hat: haha
im just not a fan of kotcs
gb3 could turn out well if reitman is at the helm and gets it right
the new gb game is tight so ill just cross my fingers on this one
they dont have to do it but itd be wonderful to see such an 80s staple
as gb brought back and done right