Votes: 30 48.4%
  • Great story, just saving it for part 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's being written and produced in total secrecy

Votes: 26 41.9%

• Total voters

Sharkey

I hope I'm wrong but

Seems to me they're deflecting the topic with a stock answer.

Not that they wouldn't be opposed to tax money and financing another term for obama in 2012.

How much F-you money is enough? If we do get another film write your thank you notes to Bernie Madof!

I voted in secrecy because there's no opition for it's all just a ruse.

DocWhiskey

^Ugh, we gotta try and twist this discussion to try and bring politics into this now?

Dr. Gonzo said:
I try to convince myself other wise, but that last one hurt me too much... and I love Indiana Jones. Hoping for something better than the last just seems frivolous to me.

Henry Sr.'s words come to mind... "Let it go."

I agree with you.

But the way I see it is that I've been "hurt" before by KotCS. The previous films have already been "tainted" by an okay to bad 4th film. Since that happened, go ahead and make a fifth film. What's it going to do? Be worse and give Indy a bad name? The 4th film has already done that with many people. So go ahead. We have nothing to lose.

Sharkey

Twist is such an ugly word.If you let it be its only a statement of opinion. When you choose that as the only point worth mentioming and lash out at it you actualy give that life to it and wind it up more.

Ugh is right!

You were "hurt" by Crystal Skull?

DocWhiskey

Sharkey said:
You were "hurt" by Crystal Skull?

Yes! It shot out a harpoon and hit my directly in my right shoulder! :p

Hurt with disappointment would be a way of saying it, I guess.

Mickiana

Sure, the standard has been declining, but I always want them to have another go. Bring on Indy 5. You never know - even it might be worth something in a thousand years!

arkfinder

I think both Lucas & Spielberg are tired of being found out so I voted "It's being written and produced in total secrecy."

Col. Detritch

Lets not forget that the beards are very good at hidding their trail! Genre, Blue Harvest. I think we should keep our eyes on the three very closely and watch what films their making or planning to make in the next few months!:hat:

Last edited:

Silvor

I really hope the "three" want to make Indy 5 as much as I'm sure we all want them to.
But who knows if they really want to make it. Seems to me Lucas isn't exactly in any rush to get it rolling. Seems he's just busy with his SW stuff and basically just says "Yeah we're looking for a mcguffin" whenever he's asked.

mister64

It seems like when one of the three needs a career boost, they're more interested in another Indy flick. So should we hope Harrison Ford's next few movies do poorly so he lobbies for George and Steven to hurry up on a McGuffin and script?

IndyForever

I think they all want to do it but finding a decent storyline really is very tricky to do if they don't want to repeat themselves.

We all know Lucas loves to reuse thematic elements in all the SW & Indy movies and that's fine as he always does it slightly differently.

If it does not enter production by the end of 2010/2011 then its probably over with forever so I'm hopeful they are working on it as we speak. Its not about money either all 3 are very rich already & Indy4 was the top international box office champion of 2008 (outside of USA it made $1M more than TDK @ $469.5M vs $468.5M) so Indy is still a massive draw worldwide with massive audience potential. Spielberg's charity foundation only lost money last year to Madoff so its not like he is suddenly desperate to take a paycheck to do this!!!

I hope its more like TLC and expect it will be set in the late 1950's.

Spielberg's comments about China last year meant Indy4 was banned there so unlikely they would use any Chinese elements as the Chinese goverment would not welcome them to film so that scraps that aspect (if it were ever part of it anyway!).

weaponx24

Im just hoping that they get this thing going PRONTO! Harrison does look great for his age, but he aint getting any younger! It would be tough to do an Indy movie and have it look good with all the stunts being either CGI or a stunt actor being seen from the back or in shaded areas...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The words "idea" and "story" each appear 5 times in 2009's quotes, which I think would make better poll choices: "MacGuffin disagreement" and "story disagreement."

MacGuffins aside, the story options could be sketched out on a flow chart. As in Indy 4, there were obvious paths from which to choose: is he still single? If so, does he have offspring? Boy or girl? Who's the mother? When will these connections be revealed to him/them/us? What does the hero get in the end?

Surely Indy must arrive at another "new equilibrium" by Indy 5's end. The other marks shouldn't be too hard to hit, either. Boam also said in that previous link, "it's a unique formula but, bottom line, it's a formula that means the writer is faced with a confined structure and a series of expectations that need to be met." The lack of a screenwriter suggests to me there's still some disagreement between the 3.

Zorg

What tickles me most is the quote by Karen Allen. Of course, she's not the one a official announcement would come from, but still. Because Lucas has confirmed Indy V is in development, 2012 sounds like a possible timetable at this point.

Compare to the case of KOTCS:

Late 2006 (2010?) - official announcement.
Summer 2007 (2011?) - shooting.
Summer 2008 (2012?) - release.

In late 2005 we still had nothing solid on KOTCS. When things really started moving, they moved quickly. And, as far as we know, Spielberg is available in 2011. That has to be the spot they're aiming for.

But of course it's still early days, and the whole thing could just fall through. Let's hope it doesn't. Because if by 2011 nothing is happening, I'd say let's forget it.

Le Saboteur

Mickiana said:
I'm curious Le Saboteur, why wouldn't you want another Indy flick made? I had my disappointments about #4, but it really reignited my interest in all things Indiana Jones. Is it because #4 disappointed you or is there something else?

I apologize for the delay in a response, Mickiana, but I forgot I had responded to this thread.

As an adherent of the action-adventure genre, my enthusiasm for Indy has never waned. What has waned is my interest in the products associated with him; by and large, they aren't very good. This has been my general opinion since Last Crusade, which I liked, but comes in a distant third to the original two. The associated output between Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, gave me tremendous pause. It's with this in mind that I say, I didn't want a fourth movie made either. The original trilogy was enough for me.

For my money, the last honestly good thing associated with Indy was the Temple of the Forbidden Eye at Disneyland, and Temple of the Crystal Skull at Tokyo DisneySea.

The short answer: The Beards don't see eye-to-eye on Indy's character development. Spielberg wants the continued cartoon Indy that gets to pummel Nazis & Reds, and Lucas wants to branch out. Since Lucas can't get Stevie on board, he's essentially shelved Indy.

I want Spielberg out.

In the meantime, I've moved on -- to Tomb Raider, to Uncharted, etc.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A current additional reason is Red Tails. Pray that makes it to screens ASAP.

Meanwhile, Ford's willingness in the foreign press to make 2 more suggests to me that he and Lucas have different Macguffins in mind. It would be such an odd thing to announce, a 2-cliffhanger deal...

Lego Indy

I think the fact that they are talking about it, means it will get done. If 4 left a bad taste in their mouths, maybe 5 will be about redemption.

I also think the fact that Harrison is still willing to play the character on the screen, means we will see 5. If he is out, it's over.

Darth Vile

Lego Indy said:
I think the fact that they are talking about it, means it will get done. If 4 left a bad taste in their mouths, maybe 5 will be about redemption.

I'm pretty sure that the taste left by KOTCS was extremely sweet for Lucas, Spielberg and Ford. If they want to leave Indiana Jones on a financial and critical high, KOTCS is a near perfect ending (regardless of the movies shortfalls). Indy V will be a much bigger risk than KOTCS ever was, largely due to the fact that (after a circa 20 year break) there was a large element of nostalgia underpinning KOTCS' box office. I would imagine they will need to do something extra special to even compete with the success of KOTCS (which won't be easy). Perhaps that thought is enough for them to close the door on Indy V???