General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

HJJNR

Dewy9 said:
Yeah. Indy as a cameo! lol Like George has said, they might as well call it "Mutt Williams and the Search for Elvis".

Exactly! To use Indy as another stepping stone for Shia is beyond comprehension being that, Indiana Jones IS the movie and to have 5th (and most likely final) instalment with Mutt at the helm is ridiculous. Thats like having a Rocky film without Stallone... it just wouldn't work.

Harrison ford IS Indiana Jones and no matter how old he is, he should be that character until he simply isnt with us anymore. Then its time for a reboot in maybe 10 years time. Sure have Adventures of Mutt Jones and THEN have indy as a cameo, not a cameo in your own self titled movie.

I honestly believe that with the right cast, plot and mcguffin Indy 5 will be awesome and a lasting example of "Hey even after a mediocre instalment, we pulled it back and made magic". We've all seen Harrison Ford as he has aged and I would say he looks phenomenal, even when dressed as giant pea pods lol. To pull him from his own movie is an insult and fundamentally 'Killing the goose that laid the golden egg'

PLEASE NO, no sidekicks for the sidekicks, I think we can still have Mutt but in a very minimal capacity likewise with Marion. It would be nice to see Jim Broadbent going into the field ala Marcus in TLC, he is a fine actor and comedy actor he will be great as comic relief. Aliens: JUST SAY NO!! It ruined KOTCS for me completely, it messed with my expectations and KILLED a genre... so lets not do that again.

Wow I've gone on like an old lady at the bus stop lol

Lance Quazar

deckard24 said:
She does make some good points, but yeah John Krasinski is a terrible casting idea...

You know, the idea is starting to grow on me.

But only if they cast Rainn Wilson in a villainous role as Toht, Jr.

Tell me you don't see the resemblance!

dwight-schrute.jpg

Johnny Nys

That article reads like a recap of all complaints mentioned here and on IMDb. Does she really think she's stating something new? And that her opinion equals truth?

Giving Shia the lead kind of nullifies Harrison taking his hat away from him. Then again, the entire film kinda nullified the sunset ending of "Crusade", although that's debatable.

A new young cast? That's one step away from turning it into a teen "horror" movie. "The Ruins", anyone?

lao che & sons

She makes some good points, but Indy 5 to be a whole new movie while also staying in the lines of the other 4. In other words don't try to make it bigger and better. Indy 5 needs to be a last crusade or temple of doom movie. one that is not completely sserious like raiders but doesn't have completely idiot moments like the swinging through vines. I didn't mind the fridge at all but others did. lay off the supernatural and stick with the style of the originals(y) They had an element of supernatural but the ufo and aliens were too much. they could've just as easiliy kept the same story but without aliens and the ufo. I think they'll learn from indy 5 and hopefully give us fresh new material. I know shia will be in it as he is spielbergs adopted son so there's no hope for a prequal.:(

Zorg

Rocket Surgeon said:
Which change would you support first?

You Have the Power to Implement One Indy 5 Change Presented. Which One You Going For?
Harrison Ford Switches to Cameo
Rachel McAdams
John Krasinski
Scrapping the Sci-Fi
Going Dark Again

Going darker, definitely. Next time around there has to be some darker element to the story. And the sense of danger – that was badly missing in KOTCS.

Happy endings feel truly happy only when there's a real contrast. Now KOTCS had a good ending, but the events before that were not dangerous enough... it's a good ending wasted.

What comes to Harrison only doing a cameo on V: No way! Indy doesn't retire at the end of KOTCS, he's still very much active.

Echo22

Rachel McAdams

Rachel McAdams would be perfect. Seeing the photos on the set of Ford's upcoming movie, I've been thinking the same thing. She'd be a little old for Mutt. But an ideal sidekick for Ford as a former student/ aspiring archeologist.

b--4717a7eed478.jpeg

b--4f93ab0b84cd.jpeg

Which change would you support first?

I'm not content with one change so I'll order them...

...unfortunately the first two are the only reasonable ones.

Scrapping the Sci-Fi
Going Dark Again

Rachel McAdams (she's already co-staring with him so the lesser of the last three evils)
John Krasinski (yeah...uh, no.)
Harrison Ford Switches to Cameo (wow, she must really be starving for feedback to propose that one)

Here's my alternate 3,4 and 5.
No CGI
Less slapstick
Consequence to the violence

HJJNR

Just to let you know I got an email from my friend at Paramount telling me they got more Indy gossip and will be mailing me later.

Just thought you would want to know.

HJJNR

In my mind I see Indy 5 as being more or less Raiders (not literally but the little nuances in there) but with age and experience involved. I would love to see Indy going after the fertility idol again as the opening sequence.

Perhaps having Sallah as his guide/ companion. More traps, more bullwhip and less cgi

Dr.Jonesy

HJJNR said:
In my mind I see Indy 5 as being more or less Raiders (not literally but the little nuances in there) but with age and experience involved. I would love to see Indy going after the fertility idol again as the opening sequence.

Perhaps having Sallah as his guide/ companion. More traps, more bullwhip and less cgi

I wouldn't want to see the fertility idol again, especially since most people will say:

"George Lucas RAPES AGAIN! THIS TIME THEY'RE RIPPING OFF ROTLA!!! BOO!!!"

And they'll also say it's unoriginal.

But yes, more traps, more whip (Which Indy hasn't used much since TOD) and less CGI would be nice...

The Drifter

Dr.Jonesy said:
I wouldn't want to see the fertility idol again, especially since most people will say:

"George Lucas RAPES AGAIN! THIS TIME THEY'RE RIPPING OFF ROTLA!!! BOO!!!"

And they'll also say it's unoriginal.

But yes, more traps, more whip (Which Indy hasn't used much since TOD) and less CGI would be nice...

He never used the whip much in ToD either. And, how about no CGI? I also want to see matte paintings again! I loved them in ToD. The shot of Pankot from afar was breath-taking.

Darth Vile

Lonsome_Drifter said:
He never used the whip much in ToD either. And, how about no CGI? I also want to see matte paintings again! I loved them in ToD. The shot of Pankot from afar was breath-taking.

I'd have to say that I don't see any point in making another Indy movie if it:-
1) Didn't try and modernize its style in some way. 2) Embrace new technologies to achieve the end result.

Personally speaking, when Indy IV (KOTCS) was first brought to our attention, I was more excited/intrigued at how they'd bring Indiana Jones into the 21st century (film making wise), than I actually was about seeing another story per se. Attempting an Indy movie devoid of modern techniques would completely invalidate the justification of making another one (IMHO). But that's just me. ;)

EddyW

Well, since Lucas is so keen on making the Indy films in the vein of particular genre's from the past, you could say that the CGI takes away from the effect he is going after. Personally, I am a nostalgic moviegoer and I love the way they used to make movies, not so much the way the make them anymore today. I am mostly in the camp of people who think CGI ruins (most of) the movie experiences we get nowadays. I also believe that, because of all the CGI that's become standard in modern day film making, people are forgetting that the techniques that have been used in the past, animatronics, stop-motion, matte-paintings, real life stunts etc. have also been evolving a lot. I was actually hoping that KOTCS would make a fist for the classic way of making these kind of films, because a new Indiana Jones film is a huge genre happening and would greatly influence other filmmakers in the fantasy/adventure genre. Sure, it would be stupid to hold on to old fashioned ways, but sometimes it's good to take a look and learn from the past as well. I am really looking forward to Where The Wild Things Are, because they have chosen to go for the practical route as much as possible and plus it with CGI, instead of using CGI as the easiest way out (from wh at I've seen from the previews anyway). Instantly it brings back the magic feel of cinema, without looking old fashioned, IMHO.

Oh, and about bringing things back from the previous films like the Idol, or Shorty, I realy don't get that. You want to see new adventures right? New stories that expand the Indy universe that we all love, in stead of narrowing it down to the few elements we've seen before and keep using them over and over, just to make sure you get an Indy vibe from it. That, to me, would completely invalidate the justification of making another one.

Dr.Jonesy

Darth Vile said:
I'd have to say that I don't see any point in making another Indy movie if it:-
1) Didn't try and modernize its style in some way. 2) Embrace new technologies to achieve the end result.

Personally speaking, when Indy IV (KOTCS) was first brought to our attention, I was more excited/intrigued at how they'd bring Indiana Jones into the 21st century (film making wise), than I actually was about seeing another story per se. Attempting an Indy movie devoid of modern techniques would completely invalidate the justification of making another one (IMHO). But that's just me. ;)

I kinda agree. One thing I found odd is when people wanted Indy IV to use no CGI or were angry when it did. Do they remember the first 3 Indy films used the latest effects and pushed the boundaries of their time?

You didn't see the Ark spewing out just smoke bombs and have the ghosts suspended by wires like they would do it if they were made in the 30s did you? Of course not. They used modern technology. The problem in IV was the abundance, not the usage.

Henry

Lonsome_Drifter said:

...and more gunfights! I want to hear Indys's gun noise again!

Lance Quazar

Lonsome_Drifter said:

Are you kidding? He uses the whip more in "Doom" than in any other film.

"LC" only has two(!) uses of the whip and neither of them are combat-related.