General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
I'm saying that every article says something negative about acting like "I thought you knew that everyone hated it." I'm just saying most people like it. These articles are tainting the minds of the people who have yet to see KotCS.:mad:

You think they'll be reading the news item if they haven't seen KotCS?

Matt deMille

I agree that Indy V should be more serious. Spielberg made Temple more light-hearted in order to balance the dark subject matter, but then he never really got back on track--Crusade and Kingdom suffered a little for being kinda silly. I think Raiders benefits from being more serious-minded in three ways:

1) Indy doesn't joke around, or talk much for that matter. He's all business.
2) People fear the McGuffin (the Ark) rather than passing it around like a football.
3) William's music is more "heroic", rather than the other movies where it seems kinda Disney-ish.

While ALL the films are light-hearted adventure, Raiders was more grounded in a die-hard, ass-kickin' tone as opposed to the other three, which were more kid-friendly. To the outsider (and perhaps Spielberg himself), these are subtle differences and all the movies look alike. However, to those of us who care more (all hundred million of us Indy fans), we see those subtle differences. One would think Spielberg would, too, but when he has bandits whistling for their horse--er, truck, Indy joking about spelling when he almost fell to his death, or Indy talking about why quicksand works when he's sinking in it, one must wonder if Spielberg has, like Lucas, forgotten what made his earlier works great.

I pray that Indy V is more of a return to Raiders in tone. The easiest way to do that is to have Indy kinda pissed off, do less talking (less joking), and more punching. Also, in order to keep Indy quiet, lose the tag-alongs. Give him one sidekick (Sallah), and have him go balls-to-the-wall after some relic he refuses to let slip through his fingers. Indy's at his best when he's a man-on-a-mission, rather than a teacher, father or lover.

Hanselation

The way they like it!

Relating to every comment what Indy 5 should be in our opinion:

I think George Lucas and Steven Spielberg know exactly what they're doing. If there will be another Indiana Jones movie, they'll do it in that way they like. Maybe they also have a look at fan discussions, but they are (at least economic) very successful and their success gave them right in that way they do it.
So why should they consider our opinions. (Maybe they do it, but when, then only incidental).

Only a few of the international audiences are real Indiana Jones-fans like us.
Lucas and Spielberg know their big worldwide well-diversified target audience, so they will feed it with the mainstream food. From a commercial point of view Indy 4 was impressive. For us fans it was not as good as we thought it had to be, but if they'll do an Indiana Jones movie only for us fans, I think the mainstream audience would not like it as much as they liked KotC, because todays audience expects more effects and incredible stories as it was shown in Indy 4.

Don't get worked up!

Lets hope they'll really do anotherone, that the story will be comfortable to us Indiana Jones fans and that it will be again a blockbuster movie.:whip:

emtiem

Blimey; if that Shia quote is true it's certainly big news. Not least because Spielberg actually sounds like he's working on it, and he always seemed the biggest stumbling block. If he wants to do it then, well, it just got a lot more likely to actually be made.

caats

yeah i agree. Def a huge thing. The big three agreed on something which is crazy ha. i wonder who they got scripting it.

HovitosKing

Has this been posted already? I won't even lie and say that I checked...I realize the story itself has been posted but I have no idea how this article stacks up to the earlier ones, or whether this exact article has been posted. I'm not lazy, I just have better things to do than read this and other threads in their entirety. Sorry if it's a re-tread.

Mutt Williams to Return in Indiana Jones V?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
HovitosKing said:
Has this been posted already? I won't even lie and say that I checked...I realize the story itself has been posted but I have no idea how this article stacks up to the earlier ones, or whether this exact article has been posted. I'm not lazy, I just have better things to do than read this and other threads in their entirety. Sorry if it's a re-tread.

Mutt Williams to Return in Indiana Jones V?

Not this precise article, I don't think, no.

Me, I'm still waiting for confirmation on whether this is a real piece of information or not.

HovitosKing

It's basically a re-direct to Shia's vague and pointless quote that has already been discussed, literally a few posts back. Sorry, it's nothing new lol. Anyway, imo it's bad news a.) to involve Shia at all and b.) that he thinks it's both crazy and cool. ****.

Indy's brother

Texas said:
If Shia's quote about the penning of a Indy 5 script can be confirmed, then I wonder who'd take the 1st crack at writing a script? George Lucas? David Koepp?

What, no impatient assumptions about the content.....? And you call yourself a Ravener:rolleyes: Forget all this nonsense about KOTCS. That's all over except for the cryin'.

Texas brings up a more intriguing point. And here's another. If Mutt is gonna be in it, then it's probably not a prequel. It could be, though. I have NO idea what angle THAT would be. If it's not a prequel, then could the bit in the last rumor about this being the last Indy on the big screen fit the profile about not repeating the formula for the last trilogy, and just ending the series per the original paramount contract that called for 5 films (5, right?). Which also opens the door to speculate on how much of that last rumor is true? Am I making sense, or do the last 3 budwiesers betray me?

lao che & sons

here's something that should really justify my "ravener" title brother.

What if it is a prequal and in which Indy (using time travel) travels in time and is married to marion and has mutt as a son. Through out the film we think it's another indy ie: not time travel. But in the end it all turns back to Indy's current time : 1957 in the tent in peru! The crysal skull is the device used to travel through time. Therefore bringing back oxley and spalko for cameo appearances. So it's a deep back story to KOTCS. it's an adventure in an already seen adventure: a paradox. If george Lucas want's to keep up his title as filmmaking hack then he NEEDS to use this idea. BUt if he wants to keep what's left of his dignity then pass this on.:D

caats

Koepp is busy directing Premium Rush at the moment. doubt he'd script it. Darabont is busy with Walking Dead. Orci and Kurtzman said it'd be a dream didn't they? they're on Star Trek 2 though.

i wonder if it was just a treatment being done still.

Zorg

This is encouraging news, if the script is really being written. That means they've agreed on the McGuffin and they have a story.

Of course there are still many, many uncertainties. How long will the scripting process take? Will Lucas abort it like he did with the Darabont script, delaying the film by many years, possibly killing it completely? Let's hope not.

They must realize time is of essence here. But let's be optimistic. It's certainly possible to get a script done, redone and even agreed upon in, say, one year, right? Indy V would most certainly get greenlit by the studio any day after the huge success of KotCS, so if Ford, LaBeouf and Spielberg are available, a 2012 release is possible. Here's hoping it'll be so! :whip:

But what i'd REALLY like to know now is: who's writing this first draft?

Lance Quazar

Matt deMille said:
I pray that Indy V is more of a return to Raiders in tone. The easiest way to do that is to have Indy kinda pissed off, do less talking (less joking), and more punching. Also, in order to keep Indy quiet, lose the tag-alongs. Give him one sidekick (Sallah), and have him go balls-to-the-wall after some relic he refuses to let slip through his fingers. Indy's at his best when he's a man-on-a-mission, rather than a teacher, father or lover.

I agree with almost everything you said regarding the tone of KOTCS (and, to a lesser, but still significant extent, LC). Those movies, KOTCS especially, are terribly far removed from the tone and sensibilities of "Raiders."

Unfortunately, praying for a return to that style of filmmaking for this franchise just isn't going to help.

They are not the same men they were 30 years ago. I don't think they're capable of making that kind of movie anymore.

This is the Lucas of Episode I and "Greedo shoots first" and the Spielberg of replacing the guns in E.T.

They have gone soft. They aren't hungry, ambitious filmmakers anymore.

To his credit, Spielberg did recognize the strength of Darabont's "City of the Gods" script, which really did strive to return to the more serious "Raiders" tone. Unfortunately, he was overruled and replaced by Company Man Koepp, who is never one to rock the boat.

Now, that's not to say they don't still have some life left in them yet, Spielberg especially. But they are too "mature" (read: fuddy duddy) to make a truly gritty, sweaty, dirty, bloody action movie anymore. Not like the old days.

Heck, the two of them often bend over backwards to disavow "Temple of Doom", which, despite some awkward humor and a few childish moments, has a wonderfully dark and sinister sensibility to it. They're just going to keep going in the LC-KOTCS direction - light-hearted, bloodless, silly, etc.

Which, frankly, is why I have zero interest in seeing the franchise further degraded by a fifth outing.

Yure

Indy's franchise has also been in touch with comedy, Indy's irony and wit in the first place, and that's what makes him such a relatable hero. I find LC pretty intense on the emotions and not too much curved on the comedy... Skull and Temple are more on this edge, but irony and humour is part of the character itself, so it's ok. I'm glad to hear news about Indy 5, but I believe that anyone who wants Raiders should just turn on his DVD player and watch Raiders once again...

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Which, frankly, is why I have zero interest in seeing the franchise further degraded by a fifth outing.

Which is why it's more fun to be here dreaming out loud of what we want to see. Since we're unlikely to be satisifed en masse at the Mutt-soaked offering that will be Indy V.

And after the release of Indy V we can then move on and dream out loud about the the sort of Indy VI we want to see.

The longer that Indy V takes to make, the better, as it prolongs the doubt and stalls the possible reality.

KOTCS scraped by, in my book. Likeable but not loveable. Too many opportunities missed. Indy V will either learn from these mistakes (that's assuming Lucas admits there were any mistakes), or it will continue down the 'safe' modern Disney family route, and finally redeem Indy as some sort of saintly hero (that he never was).

I'm sure family movies have changed. Being blood-soaked passed for a family movie back in the '80s. Then again the '70s Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a film about a family, too!

Mickiana

Indy5 will no doubt be as disappointing as much as it is anticipated as a possible redemption for the sins of Indy4. "The modern Disney family route", as Montana put it so well, is where it will go. They (GL et al) will try to make a movie to suit their perceived audience and that is a big mistake. They should try to make the movie they themselves would want to see, as GL did with Raiders.

Wilhelm

Everybody says that "Raiders" is the most serious, grittier etc... but when it was released in 1981 it was also criticised like the sequels by the out of place comedy touches. This is an example from the Kasdan's interview in Starlog in 1981:

"Unfortunately, Indy's escalating hazards prompt some moviegoers to incredulous laughter.
"Laughing at Raiders' thrills is a perfectly fine reaction," Kasdan states, "as long as the audience is laughing with the film. When I first saw Raiders, I had a big smile on my face. We were always a little worried that people might laugh at the picture, but I think that we avoided that happening by never condescending to the material. We also knew that we couldn't hold back on the adventure; we had to go all out. A lot of the stuff I put in the opening ten minutes was there to keep on topping the last peril, so smiling at that is a normal reaction. Raiders tickles you.
Another annoyance for filmgoers are some of Raiders' incongruous comedic moments, including Sallah's bursting into song after bidding farewell to Indy, and Marion Ravenwood's accidentally hitting Indy on the head with a full-sized mirror. These off-beat touches suggest that perhaps Spielberg couldn't get his last film, 1941, a slapstick World War 11 comedy, totally out of his mind. "Those broader comedy elements were created independently from me," says Kasdan. "They bothered me quite a bit, but it balances out, because some really good things in Raiders, such as lndy's confrontation with the Arab swordsman, the classroom scene, and the Nazi's coat hanger, were also innovated by Steven."
What bothers Kasdan the most about Raiders of the Lost A rk' s final form is its lack of character development. A prime example is Indiana Jones's first meeting with Marion Ravenwood at "The Raven" bar. Even Raiders's most ardent fans admit that that scene's lines are horribly stilted.

Spielberg sees this movies as adventure / comedy movies, unlike The Dark Knight or other kind of serious saga. When he wants to make a realistic thriller he makes "Munich" which has little humour and a lot of blood.

An about the Disney family movie, Spielberg described in 1981 his photography approach to "Raiders" as "Michael Curtiz meets Disney", so it's logical that influence. In fact the battle against nazis with supernatural powers is like the end of "Bedknobs and broomsticks" and KOTCS has the same feel of "In search of the Castaways".

I don't think that they are going to make Indy 5. For me KOTCS is the last of the series: the beginning at the warehouse and the ending at the wedding are very symbolic for the last adventure.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Just an observation here, aside from Pat Roach's incarnations and Indy himself, doesn't this make Shia's "Mutt" the only recurring character to appear sequentially from one film to the next in this series?