What did KOTCS get right?

Indy's brother

This thread is not for lovers or haters. Even the detractors of KOTCS can admit that there were decent elements in the film. Whatever you think was a bullseye in this film goes here. I'll start.

The lighting/sunset when Indy and Spalko first meet was dead on. And the quicksand scene, though the background didn't look like a soundstage, it probably was. Unlike the campfire scene in TOD, which was totally obvious.

*Mods, if this is too similar to the "lovers" threads, my apologies.

Gear

Well, as I've said before, the first 30 minutes of the film was decent, after that it really became obvious that Lucas and lot just lost heart in it.

Bvance

Now since I've thought about it. Regardless of how I feel towards the movie and various moments of insanity, there a part that I just adore and can't find anything in it that bugs me.

So in the warehouse scene beginning at: "Any defiant last words Dr. Jones?", all the way to where the rocket sled blasts off, in my opinion, I think it's definitely the best part of the movie. So, just after Mac becomes a double agent and before we see the damn gophers again.

previs09_IJ4-IA-4926-DJ.jpg

First of all it's Indiana Jones 'alone', uses the whip, "I like Ike.", leaping from a car, a great one-liner, takes out a handful of commies, dodging bullets, a head on collision, a good old fist fight, the ark, being choked by a chain, a large digital countdown, commies getting torched by a rocket sled engine. (y)

My opinion the rest of the film tries, but can't beat this awesome scene, they nailed it and I loved it.

TREN KROM

The warehouse scene was undoughtly my favorite part of the movie. The action, the "defiant last words", the classic whip ussage, it was all great. The Soviet camp and quicksand parts were good too, and the part were Skull delved into Indy's mind was kind of like the ark burning threw the crate.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I like most elements, just the things I discussed in things I would change thread are the things I didn't like and thought could have been improved.

The beginning minus the gophers and the nuke is really awesome. It was a great opening.

Mutt was an awesome character and I really love the motorcycle chase ("Get that Greaser!" "Get on, Gramps!") and the scene at Indy's house was a great exposition scene. It of course, helps that he is also hot! His intro shot was quite apt and very Brando. He fits the Indy-verse. I can accept him as the son of Indiana Jones.

Marion's presence. There's a lot to improve on there, but if Marion wasn't in this film, I actually wouldn't have bothered seeing it. I think it's good to have at least, one familiar character other than Indy. And she's right for Indy, I don't care what anyone says.

I loved the Stairs scene and leading into the temple where all the skeletons are. I thought the stairs were a great set piece. The best action piece in the whole film.

I absolutely loved the truck scene dialogue and the quicksand dialogue. Bet you any cash, that Kasdan wrote those.

Yes, I loved the wedding ending. What I in particular loved about it was it's execution. It wasn't cheesy and lavish. And yes, I like the hat trick too.

Darth Vile

As this is ?what did KOTCS got right? thread, I won?t labour on things that could have been improved or things that nearly worked? Instead, points that I believe were pretty much spot on.

1) The 1950?s setting. KOTCS had to be set in a different era to accommodate Indy?s age. The look and feel of the 1950?s seemed natural and in keeping with the whole Indy principle. I didn?t once think ?Oh I wish this was back in a 1930?s/40?s setting?. It just felt like Indiana Jones from the off.

2) Indiana Jones as an older character. Not sure whether it was played for or just plain serendipity, but Harrison Ford portrayed Indy as a world-weary and grizzled character similar to those classic older characters portrayed by Bogart and John Wayne. I believed from the first minute that this was an older version of Indiana Jones rather than Indiana Jones simply being played by an older actor.

3) I thought the movie captured the flavour of the previous three movies extremely well. Of course some will disagree with that (as some believe it was too far removed from what went before), and although I would have personally liked to have seen a more radical/cutting edge action movie, KOTCS did what it said on the tin.

4) Spalko was a great addition to the collection of Indiana Jones memorable villains. Whilst there is little subtlety in her character, I found her to be more memorable than Donovan and more interesting than Mola Ram.

5) The Williams score. Again, I think some will disagree, but I thought Williams pitched the score perfectly. On screen, I thought it was the right mix of familiar music (which is needed in order to make it feel like an Indy movie), and new themes. Whilst some may not like the score, it's not half as contentious with the fan community (at the time) as the score for 'The Last Crusade', 'The Phantom Menance' and 'Attack of the Clones'.

6) Mutt was another good addition. Whilst I'm not sure I'd want to see him return, I thought it was interesting to see the role reversal after Last Crusade of Indy playing the father/dissaproving figure to the estranged son.

Blade

I think they got everything completely wrong except for the following:-

i) The first 5 minutes until Indy opens his mouth
ii) The scene at the University
iii) The scene in the bar where the fight breaks out

That's it.

Darth Vile

Blade said:

That's it.

By definition then they didn't get everything wrong... ;)

Blade said:

That's it.

I agree with this also. The biker bar scene had a bit of Indy feel to it. The University scene felt okay and the cars racing through the desert was great until Indy opns his mouth and sounds like John Wayne from the shootist.

Indy 4 sucked. I'm sorry, but it did.

Darth Vile

mindy muffles said:
I agree with this also. The biker bar scene had a bit of Indy feel to it. The University scene felt okay and the cars racing through the desert was great until Indy opns his mouth and sounds like John Wayne from the shootist.

Indy 4 sucked. I'm sorry, but it did.

Why try and undermine a thread clearly designed not to discuss shortcomings or dislike of the movie??? Surley you liked Fords performance at least?

The Man

It's too much of a sow's ear to define it in terms of 'right' and 'wrong'. At its best, the film was merely competent; at its worst - the second hour - it was pathetic.

Seriously, it's one of Spielberg's most anonymous movies.

Blade

Darth Vile said:
Why try and undermine a thread clearly designed not to discuss shortcomings or dislike of the movie??? Surley you liked Fords performance at least?

Darthy boy, not saying this to annoy or just to contradict you but I thought Ford was terrible and I found that performance to be his worst of all time.

Sorry.

Udvarnoky

Honestly, the things Indy4 got right were the things I was expecting it to get wrong (Shia, 1950s, aliens). It's the things I took for granted wouldn't be messed up that were (excitement, danger, a script that wasn't terrible).

The thing is, Indy4 got a LOT of things right. I've said it time and time again, all of the elements and ingredients of a great Indiana Jones movie were present. There was just no love put into the execution, to actually tie everything together in a thrilling or entertaining way. The movie has this really weird detached feel to it. Even Temple of Doom, which has some of the silliest moments of any movie ever, is loads of fun and totally successful because the energy is there. Most or all of the ideas in Indy4 are in a standalone sense good ideas, and if you would have sat me down before I saw the movie and told me everything that happens beat by beat I probably would have been stoked at the prospect of getting to see them on screen. But the final product somehow makes everything feel...kind of boring. (And no, it wasn't just an issue of the movie taking an "old-fashioned approach" to the action movie by comparison to more kinetic modern day adventure movies, a direction I appreciated. There is a palpable stagnancy here.) It wasn't the material, but the approach to it that was the problem.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Blade said:
Darthy boy, not saying this to annoy or just to contradict you but I thought Ford was terrible and I found that performance to be his worst of all time.

Sorry.

If that's what you genuinely think - I'm fine with that (although obviously I don't agree).

bonoferox

As much as I thought I would hate Mutt, I ended up enjoying his character for the most part.
Other than that, I loved the warehouse scene, the Dovchenko fight in the jungle and Stanford coming up the classroom window to pay homage to Brody.

snake_surprise

I never would have guessed that an Indiana Jones movie could be so void of heart, soul, character, conflict, etc...but this one was missing ALL of those things.

It was horrible, pains me to say, because I was so excited and waited so long.

Not only bad for an Indy movie, but absolutely wretched for ANY type of film.

Sorry, but nothing is 'right' with this movie.

Darth Vile said:
Look up the word sarcasm...

Dictionary.com

sar·casm Audio Help /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahr-kaz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Where was the irony? The wit? I'm fully aware of the concept of sarcasm; your posts was lacking.

Fail.

OmegaSeamaster

I thought the closing credits were incredible. The way the names scrolled up the screen and faded into oblivion...perhaps to join the aliens in their alternate dimension.

Surely the closing credits were the high-point of what was a completely utter non-canonical farce of an Indiana Jones film.