Discuss Chapter 10 - Family Squabble (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

WeAreGoingToDie

Chapter 10 - Family Squabble
1:12:06 - 1:21:50

99936393qv8.gif

"You got sole!"

(description pulled from the Indiana Jones Wiki)
Spalko and some soldiers travel in a car through the jungle along with a small caravan of trucks and cars, one which is transporting Oxley, the Skull, Mac and some soldiers, all led by the beastly Jungle Cutter. Marion takes the time to tell Mutt that Jones is his real father. Mutt, doesn't believe it, and Jones and Marion end up arguing about their past. Colonel Dovchenko, who is in the truck with them, eventually gags Marion. Jones and Mutt use the oppurtunity to kick the Colonel into unconsciousness. After freeing themselves, Indy gets possession of a bazooka and blows up the tree wrecking vehicle, much to Spalko's surprise. Indy, Mutt and Marion leave the truck they were being held captive on after it is nearly split in two by the Cutter's blades which were sent flying after the vehicle's explosion.

A lengthy chase ensues after Indy, Marion and Mutt jump into a "duck" (an amphibious vehicle) to try and recapture the Stolen Skull, leaving the knocked out Colonel in a driver-less vehicle. Spalko has her soldiers drive towards the car with Ox and Mac in it so she can retrieve the Crystal Skull. After Indy jumps from the duck to the other car, he punches and throws all the Soviets out except for one who clings to the back. Indy nails Mac a few times and as, he drives the car, Mac reveals he is really CIA. Spalko begins ramming into Indy's car and the back-hanging Russian climbs back up and manages to throw the skull at Spalko before finally falling of. Mutt and Marion drive by and Mutt uses one of Spalko's swords to retrieve the skull. Irina is finally forced to draw out her rapier as she engages Mutt in a battle for the skull. She beats him out and even wounds him right above his right eye.

The skull ends up in Oxley's hands again after a brief scuffle and Irina unknowingly passes over to Marion's car. She is about to stab Ravenwood but she is suddenly thrown onto the car's hood after Marion slams the brakes. Spalko holds onto a gun that was on the duck's hood and she frantically begins to shoot at the windscreen. Mutt meanwhile winds up getting tangled in some vines and is lifted onto a canopy away from Indy's car.

Chapter Index:
Chapter 1 - Nevada, 1957
Chapter 2 - The Warehouse
Chapter 3 - I Like Ike
Chapter 4 - Of Interest to the Bureau
Chapter 5 - Mutt Williams
Chapter 6 - Nazca, Peru
Chapter 7 - Orellana's Resting Place
Chapter 8 - Old Friends and Enemies
Chapter 9 - A Truth Revealed

family-feud-richard-dawson1.jpg

Once again Please no trolling or bashing of the film. The word "sucks" isn't a valid form of explaining why you hate something. I'd like a friendly discussion for those who enjoy the film and watching it on the small screen.

The Magic Rat

I adore the chase. Besides the opening sequence inside Area 51, this was the best part of the movie to me, save for the obvious irritating part everyone hates.

StoneTriple

I like this chapter a lot. Classic Indiana Jones pursuing the bad guys at all costs. Good stuff from everyone, Irina's vulnerability finally shows itself here. Her mental vulnerability is what I'm speaking of, by the way. She expresses real fear of failure for the first time during the chase. It's an interesting insight into her character. She's no longer in control of the situation and the story starts to take a different direction because of it.

I think the scene where she gets knocked onto the front of the vehicle and realizes she can use the machine gun to kill Marion is all done very well. To me it's a very tense & interesting moment.

One of the highlights of the film to me is the scene in the truck, when Indy has untied Marion & Mutt and cuts his way onto the roof. As he says "they all had the same problem...." I was thinking to myself, 'he should tell her they weren't her'. When he actually did say that, I was stoked. It was exactly what she wanted to hear, considering they obviously both still have feelings for each other.

WeAreGoingToDie

If you're talking the monkey swinging, thats not in this chapter yet.

My favorite moment is the image above (kick to the face), reminds me of the moment in TLC in which Indy grabs the machine gun and mows down a pack of Nazis in front of his father.

WeAreGoingToDie

The Magic Rat said:
Didn't realize we were talking that strictly....

Then I guess there is more of the chase to talk about next chapter

Yeah, no prob. Occasionally happens in these topics. The warehouse escape discussion had this happen a bit as it was spread over three chapters. :whip:

RaideroftheArk

WeAreGoingToDie said:
If you're talking the monkey swinging, thats not in this chapter yet.

My favorite moment is the image above (kick to the face), reminds me of the moment in TLC in which Indy grabs the machine gun and mows down a pack of Nazis in front of his father.

I have to agree with this...classic Indy. The part right before this when Dovencho says "For the love of god, shut the hell up!" Absolutely killed me in the theater.

Indy1970

Great Chapter

Great chapter - the chase scene was good old fashion fun and some of Spielberg at his action best.
The only thing I would have enjoyed more would have been an actual fight between Marion and Irinia.
I wish Marion was used a little more effectively in regards to the action sequences overall.

WeAreGoingToDie

While I had wished the Jungle Cutter would have received more action, I'm happy we didn't get a wacky running on the blades bit or a retread of the mechanic fight.

In fact, it was out of left field to have it immediately blown up. (y)

Also, I liked Marion acting like a mom during Mutt's sword fight. :p

Cagefighterkip

WeAreGoingToDie said:
While I had wished the Jungle Cutter would have received more action, I'm happy we didn't get a wacky running on the blades bit or a retread of the mechanic fight.

id loved to have seen a retread of the mechanic scene lol, just see a russian get caught up in the blades would have been great imo, maybe indys running on the jungle cutter, dodges the blades, the russian tries to duplicate the move, trip and falls into the blades :) but still this chapter is awesome and i love the chase scene one of the best of the indy movies:)

RaideroftheArk

Cagefighterkip said:
id loved to have seen a retread of the mechanic scene lol, just see a russian get caught up in the blades would have been great imo, maybe indys running on the jungle cutter, dodges the blades, the russian tries to duplicate the move, trip and falls into the blades :) but still this chapter is awesome and i love the chase scene one of the best of the indy movies:)

Yeah I like the scene the way it is...I feel if they did a whole big scene involving the Jungle Cutter it would have been reminiscent of the Tank battle from LC as well as the mechanic fight from raiders.

WeAreGoingToDie

very true. working his way through a motorcade and encountering a sharp spinny thing = done to death :dead: also, it would have been similar to the rock crusher. IMO, KOTCS has just the right amount of callbacks. :gun:

In fact, I love how Indy sidesteps the whole traversing the trucks to the skull by simply blowing up the furthest vehicle. If anything, its a callback to the Cairo swordsman. this whole action setpiece is set up and Indy just shoots it to hell.

RaideroftheArk

That would be pretty awesome if they did...but sadly I don't think have. I have the Jungle Cutter...but I think they only made the raiders truck and some kind of Russian jeep with machine gun.

Off topic: Love your SN...that's one of many of my favorite parts in TOD.

Udvarnoky

This is the centerpiece action sequence of the movie. The jungle chase is to Indy4 what the truck chase was to Raiders, the mine cart chase to Temple, and the tank chase to Crusade. Overall, I found the scene enjoyable and really well choreographed but not really all that thrilling - it was fun, but pretty passive. Some random likes and dislikes.

Liked
- The family feud.
- Indy's line "We've gotta get Oxley back, get our hands on that skull and get to Akator before they do!" This point-blank summary of what the heroes have to do was actually refreshing because it made me feel like we actually had a clear goal to invest in in a movie where narrative thrust is nearly nonexistent. Unfortunately this completely fizzled out after the jungle chase when beating Spalko wasn't even a problem anymore, and the goal became replaced by, "Let's just return the skull because it told me to." Powerful.
- When Indy jumped from his jeep onto Mac's. A great, traditional stunt moment. In general most of the traditional action stuff in this scene is well done.
- Mac's double agent reveal and his side switch. I like how they peppered in plot and character moments in the chase. Too bad Mac had to be lying.
- Spalko's machine gun addiction.
- The great longrunning gag involving the guy who falls off the back of the jeep when Indy jumps the branch but keeps hanging on. Spalko nearly shoots him like five times, and when he finally climbs up Mac punches him right off. There's a similar gag later on when the unconscious guy wakes up and sees that the car is on the edge of the cliff and jumps off. (It should have been to his death.)

Disliked
- The switchblade tear gag. Made no sense at all. Maybe they had a clear idea of what they were going for when they were filming it but it didn't work on screen and it should have been cut.
- The inexcusable waste of the jungle cutter. It's been brought up already so I won't get into it, but, wow. Just astonishing. (The fact that they didn't even use it for entertainment purposes makes the fact that it being blown up should prevent everyone from being able to continue driving a lot more glaring.)
- The fact that no one got killed when the runaway blade hit the Russian's jeep.
- The fact that no bad guy got inadvertently killed by a stray bullet. (The lack of deaths made the scene much lighter than it could have been. It didn't have to be deaths, but anything that would have made the jungle seem even remotely dangerous would have helped. Where was the unfriendly wildlife, for example?)
- The generally fake look of Mutt and Spalko's swordfight. That wide overhead shot of the two jeeps zooming alongside should have been breathtaking but there was always just enough of a CGI look to it to make sure you couldn't get sucked in. The background in the close-up of Spalko's face when she retrieves the bag looks particularly bad for whatever reason.
-The Temple of Doom moment where Mutt is straddling the two cars. In Temple it worked because Shorty would have fallen into molten lava. Here the excuse for putting Mutt between the cars is to get his balls smacked by CGI foliage. A gag that isn't even funny conceptually isn't going to rack up any goodwill when it requires a computer to make happen.
- The canopy when Mutt gets caught and pulled up in the vines. I'm surprised people are wasting so much energy whining about the monkeys when then the background is so distracting.

Last edited:

WeAreGoingToDie

Shame, that'd make for a excellent toy vehicle. The idea reminds me of the Ninja Turtles van I had as a kid that had a spring loaded roof that ejected figures.

Thanks for SN compliment. I wish my avatar was my member image:
image.php

@Udvarnoky, I agree with your lists.(y)

Wilhelm

This whole scene reminds me of TOD: it's like combining the diamond/antidote from Club Obi Wan with the Mine Chase using the McGuffin more than in any other action sequence of the series.

I like the character development through the chase and that the Skull begins and ends in the hands of Ox (Full circle).

metalinvader

One of my favorite scenes in ANY of the four movies is Indy jumping from the duck onto the Jeep full of Russians and going to town on them.

"Jonesy!"
"Hi Mac!"

*SMASH!*

I loved the jungle chase.The banter and flirting with Indy and Marion at the start was well done too.