Why did you choose the avatar you currently have?

michael

I will admit I chose mine, because, well nobody else had it, and I wanted to "stand apart" somewhat. Although I don't mind when people have the same Indy avatar, after all, this is an Indy forum. I did however want that Chattar Lal one, but even if and when I do get to 500 posts, I'll probably stay with this one.

I have grown to like it. I like the idea that this guy could have been the one to recover the grail, however incredibly ridiculous that would've been. Who knows, maybe Indy doesn't make it if he doesn't watch this poor guy get his head lopped off. All I know is, that this soldier's last thoughts were probably, "WTF am I doing here..."

So...why did you choose your avatar, what significance is it to you. I'm interested in seeing the choices behind the Indy avatars (for instance, 2 different answers for the same avatar).

Go!

*I figured this can be in General Indy Discussion, seeing how, it's Indy characters...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Funny, I thought we had this thread already. I guess I was just asked it individually at one point. My answer then had been this:

Musgrove has a certain scholarly earnestness and awkwardness that I enjoy, and that scene is one of my favorites in Raiders. Also, he's not exactly a character I'd expect anyone else to use, and you know how that appeals to me.

I'd also add that it suits my handle pretty well, especially since I didn't want to use either Henry (the original possessor of my name, of course) or Marcus. (I'm a fan of both, but they're both popular characters, and none of their avatars did it for me.)

I'd be tempted to switch to Mac once those come around, but...I'm too attached to this one to actually do it.

*Yeah, I'm not sure if it should be here or in Off-topic. I'll wait to see if any of my colleagues change it.

michael

I did a search, and didn't find anything. And I do remember what you wrote about your avatar! Good stuff.

Also, if I had to choose an "Indy" avatar, well, it's not even available.., it would be this look:

t100.jpg

I love that look! It says it all!

The Magic Rat

michael said:
I did a search, and didn't find anything. And I do remember what you wrote about your avatar! Good stuff.

Also, if I had to choose an "Indy" avatar, well, it's not even available.., it would be this look:

t100.jpg

I love that look! It says it all!

I second that. I've always wanted that or my current user icon, this guy:

10397__indiana_l.jpg

Crack that whip

I'm not using any one avatar permanently; I switch to a different one every so often.

Once I have enough posts under my belt to be able to choose any / all of the ones of Indy himself, I'll probably start going through all the images of Indy in chronological order, from Corey Carrier's Indy at his youngest to George Hall's. I might then go for all the LEGO minifigs, one by one, or some other sequence that sweeps through all the avatars that fall into some group. Eventually I'll probably revert to more or less randomly picking out ones I haven't used yet, which is essentially what I'm presently doing.

michael

Crack that whip said:
I'm not using any one avatar permanently; I switch to a different one every so often.

Once I have enough posts under my belt to be able to choose any / all of the ones of Indy himself, I'll probably start going through all the images of Indy in chronological order, from Corey Carrier's Indy at his youngest to George Hall's. I might then go for all the LEGO minifigs, one by one, or some other sequence that sweeps through all the avatars that fall into some group. Eventually I'll probably revert to more or less randomly picking out ones I haven't used yet, which is essentially what I'm presently doing.
I like your plan. Hopefully people will notice the progression.

Gear

Yeah, I enjoy those who use more uncommon avys; individuality, y'know?

As for me, well, I fumbled around with quite a few back when. I did the whole Indy avatar thing for a while, but there were too many with that same or similar ones, so I tried on a couple others but none of those 'felt like me'. I kinda settled on one but the user whom also shared it publicly threw a stink about it, so I searched the list again for one that would appeal to me and so thus came across Katanga (who, oddly enough had never caught my eye before).

I dunno, it just fits. Plus it's unique.

And there is the epic drama that is gear guardian's avatar

Niteshade007

Originally I had Willie Scott, the same one Crack that whip has, but I got confused for a girl (apparently my screenname is feminine, on top of that I had a girl avatar), so I changed to Belloq. Then I got enough posts to get this one, and it just kind of stuck. I kind of like one where Marion's wearing a hat, but I'm not sure it's "me," plus I don't want to be mistaken for a girl again. I like this one, and I think it fits me. Plus only a couple other people have it, so that's a perk.

DocWhiskey

After reading the comics and actually knowing who New Jersey Jones is I figured "why not"?. He claimed to be Indy's brother and I try to be like Indy to so we have something in common. It's hard to be unique with a set amount of avvies to choose from.

And nothing says "DocWhiskey" like a chubby derby and bowtie wearing mustached man.

Indy's brother

Yeah, Doc Whiskey's avatar is supposed to go with my screen name, but I didn't want that avatar. I picked mine because I have had the same gotee off and on for years. Also, mine is wearing a red fez, which is also a part of tiki culture...and I looove me some tiki!!!

Carlos22

Hello friends, I can not put my avatar,
I do not understand why.
Does anyone of you can help me?

Thanks in advance

Finn

Staff member
A-ha! Another new user who got busted for not checking out the Forum Rules.

There's a very fittingly named thread that will likely answer the question. Nevertheless, it's not a very good way to make nice impressions towards the board upkeep, neglecting the community guidelines like that.

Dr. Wolfwood

I chose the avatar because of my love of the Lucasart's Indy games. If I could, I'd use a completely different image of me and my hat...

QBComics

I like LEGOs, so I chose the best looking Indiana Jones LEGO avatar. Hopefully we will get some new Indy 4 avatars, so I can change mine.

Finn

Staff member
Carlos22 said:
I am very sorry, it did not know it.
"Know it?" By this you hopefully mean that you don't know what sentence "please read and follow to help this Indy fan community run smoothly" means because otherwise that excuse doesn't make much sense.

Nothing personal, it's just a pet peeve of mine. The unattentiveness of some people, I mean.

indyclone25

i picked mine cause i thought it was a very cool pic and i couldn't wait for indy 4 at thre time when my avatar was available to me --------- oh by the way carlos22 is new and speaks spanish his english isn't the best, if you had read any of his other posts you could see that , i'm not saying that's an excuse not to read every little point in the rules , but give people some slack --- you all "ain't" perfect, either

HovitosKing

I chose my avatar to match my screen name, obviously. Why I chose the screen name is the real mystery. It was a long time ago, and I honestly have no clue.