Letter Campaign: Indy is the Focus!

foreignerfred

My friends,

I propose we put together a letter campaign and let the beards know we want Indy where he belongs...front and center. He's the star. This series is about HIM.

I think Spielberg...and EVERYONE never imagined Ford could pull a physical movie like KOTCS out of his fedora being in his sixties and all, but he proved all of us WRONG. He CAN do it! So let's not make a movie that makes all these excuses for his age.

I think they dreamed up Mutt because they thought Ford would be walking around with a cane, but that was not the case. Let's ditch the crutch of it all. Indy complained about aches and pains in Raiders, so of course he's going to continue to do that into his 60's, but let's see him have the full focus again. Mutt can be there, but instead of HIM fighting on the jeeps and fighting the main antogonist with Indy watching, let's see it the other way around. It's now PROVEN...Indy can kick butt even in his elder years!

So, I think we should mimic some letter campaigns that have gone before. Create a form letter that outlines these thoughts in a concise manner, choose a date a month or two down the line (but soon, they're crafting the basis for the film now!) and all agree to send that form letter on that specific day to the Beards, overwhelming them with support for the Ford.

For examples of letter campaigns, search for the letter campaign that brought about Superman II the Richard Donner Cut (which I was a part of!) and the Bring Routh Back campaign that continues over at bluetights.net to bring Brandon Routh back to the screen as Superman in a sequel to Superman Returns. These both had/have tremendous support and have/had seen results.

They might be thinking the success of Indy was based more heavily on Shia than it actually was. Let's prove them wrong. What do you say?

Ff

lao che & sons

I'll do it. But I think they've statd that there isn't going to be a movie based on Mutt. And besides who knows what there thinking of, I really want to see short round come back into Indys life. and leave marion and Mutt out of it.

Dr.Jonesy

The Man said:
Twitter is the place to launch such a campaign. Massive audience...

I agree!

Start one there and make it so fans can add requests or suggestions to garner attention from Spielberg, Lucas, Ford and Marshall.

IndyFan89

Listen to this. Transformers was a good movie so they kept the same exact formula. Even down to linken park making a song for the film.

Indiana jones wasn't as good as it could of been, so are they gonna keep the same formula or are the thinking "damage control"? This is the big qeustion.

More guns, more whip, more indy, more of the old formula. Is the story going to be aliens or artifacts?

Someone please comment on this, its plegging my mind.

-sent from palm pre

Zorg

One of the reasons they are moving forward with V could be damage-control. I kind of hope it is. While KOTCS was a commercial success, if they've followed the fan reaction at all they should know what to do differently with V.

Maybe one could compare the situation now to what they did after TOD. Changed the tone.

While two's a company, three's a crowd. Not to mention more than three, that's just simply unnecessary .

James

IndyFan89 said:
Indiana jones wasn't as good as it could of been, so are they gonna keep the same formula or are the thinking "damage control"? This is the big qeustion.

I doubt this is being motivated by damage control. For one, there's every indication that they were planning more than one sequel all along.

KOTCS also received much better reviews than Transformers, so I'm not sure why they would feel pressure to improve. The biggest factor when approaching LC was that Spielberg was personally disappointed by TOD. There's no reason to expect a similar reaction to KOTCS, since it's fairly true to how he regards the Indiana Jones movies. One of the biggest fan complaints was that it was too "family oriented"- yet that's exactly how Spielberg described the film in pre-release interviews.

I do expect the next film to be different, but only because that is how Lucas has always approached each installment. So we can probably rule out another sci-fi theme, but that's no guarantee of another Biblical artifact, either. The one exception may be the Garden of Eden, since that was the only other Indy 4 MacGuffin that seemed to pop up with some frequency.

Darth Vile

I'm not sure I'd support the creation/production of a movie by "audience committee". That's how you end up with Aliens V Predator: Requiem, and Snakes on a Plane. I'd much rather have a movie that's genuinely closer to Spielberg's/Lucas' ideals, and fail, than something fabricated to win popular plaudits and succeed.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Darth Vile said:
I'm not sure I'd support the creation/production of a movie by "audience committee". That's how you end up with Aliens V Predator: Requiem, and Snakes on a Plane. I'd much rather have a movie that's genuinely closer to Spielberg's/Lucas' ideals, and fail, than something fabricated to win popular plaudits and succeed.

Agreed. No camels!

Le Saboteur

Steven Spielberg said:
"It was too dark, too subterranean, and much too horrific. I thought it out-poltered Poltergeist. There's not an ounce of my own personal feeling in Temple of Doom."

So long as Herr Spielberg thinks this way, we'll never see Indy evolve into anything than a live-action version of a Saturday morning cartoon. Like I've stated elsewhere, Spielberg is incapable of immersing himself in the material.

The only letter writing campaign I would like to see is one that involves removing Steven Spielberg from the production side of things; let him collect his stipend as a producer, but keep him very, very far away from the actual decision making process.

Robyn

Darth Vile said:

I had to come out of lurking for just a moment to say that I absolutely agree with you on this Darth!!!! Couldn't agree more!

vf wing

Look at how the Star Wars prequels "improved" based on fan reaction. I think the next film will be a little closer to what the vocal fanbase is clamoring for!

IndyFan89 said:
Is the story going to be aliens or artifacts?

What's the difference? ;)

Darth Vile said:

So you're against test screenings?

I agree in as much as BUILDING a film by consensus would be the never ending project, but a worth while mocumentery of political correctness. Could be VERY funny.

But to tweek it...?

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
So you're against test screenings?

I think they serve little purpose... in that a movie that's substantially changed due to test screening feedback will probably be sub par anyway e.g. an Aliens V Predator type movie... and that a genuinely "good" movie, by default, should surpass any audience feedback. I'm sure there are some exceptions to the rule though... are you about to tell me that Michael Corleone didn't get to be head of the family in The Godfather, until Francis Ford Coppola made radical changes after an advanced screening? ;)

Darth Vile said:
I think they serve little purpose... in that a movie that's substantially changed due to test screening feedback will probably be sub par anyway e.g. an Aliens V Predator type movie... and that a genuinely "good" movie, by default, should surpass any audience feedback. I'm sure there are some exceptions to the rule though... are you about to tell me that Michael Corleone didn't get to be head of the family in The Godfather, until Francis Ford Coppola made radical changes after an advanced screening? ;)

No, but I'm sure you'll agree that a film is an evolutionary process.

As I distinguish in the rest of my post, tweek sure, BUILD on, no. So pursuing the substantial change is moot.;)

While test screenings which provide questionaires for things like: what character did you identify with or what character did you like/dislike, aren't intended to improve the film, (rather provide advertising focus or drive action figure sales). Test screenings to measure the success of your execution in terms of tone and accesibility, (check out Indy-Cast Trivia question in Episode70/answer this weekend)...can help with insight and introspection.

Kind of like the programmer who's stared at the same code hour after hour and can't break the malaise...sometimes you need fresh eyes to review/see a new perpective.

foreignerfred

GUYS!

The point of this thread is this:

KOTCS proved to everyone that Ford can still play intense action. He can still be the main focus. Give him MORE action, MORe screen time, and diminish Mutt's role in Indy V. Ford can handle pushing himself to the limit for one more GREAT Indiana Jones adventure.

That's not pushing for certain plot points and all that (Mr. Guy on Twitter!). It's just a simple statement to the beards, "Ford can handle being FULL ON Indiana Jones. Don't make up excuses for his age that seem unwarranted by his healthy physique and his youthful energy."

Ford can handle anything you dish out. He could've easily done everything that was written in City of Gods, Saucer Men, and Monkey King for that matter (and yes, I know it was an Indy III script)...He can still manage. When he no longer can, Ford will step back from the role I am sure.

Canyon

foreignerfred, firstly, let me say, this is an incredible thread! (y)

When I posted more on the Raven, I stated that I have always had faith in Harrison's physical acting abilities, and what I find ironic is that after Indy 4 came out, barely anyone said anything about his age. Lol.

I have loved Harrison and Indy ever since I saw Last Crusade 20 years ago and have always been supported of Harrison and the choices he makes and I want you to know that you have my full support! :D

foreignerfred

Canyon said:
foreignerfred, firstly, let me say, this is an incredible thread! (y)

When I posted more on the Raven, I stated that I have always had faith in Harrison's physical acting abilities, and what I find ironic is that after Indy 4 came out, barely anyone said anything about his age. Lol.

I have loved Harrison and Indy ever since I saw Last Crusade 20 years ago and have always been supported of Harrison and the choices he makes and I want you to know that you have my full support! :D

You just brought a big smile to my face! Thanks so much, Canyon. The next thing to do is, work up a good form letter. I'll get to work!

Nice to know that you get the point and you're on board.

Ff

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
No, but I'm sure you'll agree that a film is an evolutionary process.

As I distinguish in the rest of my post, tweek sure, BUILD on, no. So pursuing the substantial change is moot.;)

While test screenings which provide questionaires for things like: what character did you identify with or what character did you like/dislike, aren't intended to improve the film, (rather provide advertising focus or drive action figure sales). Test screenings to measure the success of your execution in terms of tone and accesibility, (check out Indy-Cast Trivia question in Episode70/answer this weekend)...can help with insight and introspection.

Kind of like the programmer who's stared at the same code hour after hour and can't break the malaise...sometimes you need fresh eyes to review/see a new perpective.

If you are talking advertising/marketing purposes, yep sure... test screenings have their place. I was talking more about the relevance to an overall aesthetic/artistic perspective. ;)