Which jacket should I get?

Indy Byrd

Hello all!! I was debating on getting a Wested stonewahed denim jacket, cause I liked the looks of it or getting a Todd's standard. I have a good heavier leather jacket that is close enough. Since I don't get out and do much Adventureing in the winter months, I don't need a heavy Indy jacket, but I do in the spring- fall months. Any suggestions?

penman hats

Lamb skin or washed goat is very light. I have a lamb skin that broken in but in great shape that I can wear it in spring time. I'm putting it up for sale because I got way to many jackets. It's a 46R raiders.

Mickiana

I've got a lambskin wested that is very nice. It drapes well and fits perfectly. But I'm torn as whether to distress it or not. I bought a predistressed cowhide wested and while it's not a bad jacket, it's very heavy and not exactly distressed the way I would like it to be. I bought it in an attempt to avoid distressing the lambskin, but now I'm thinking of taking the plunge with the lambskin and aging it by a few means.

Chewbacca Jones

I vote the Todd's lambskin. I personally could never spend so much on a denim jacket, for starters, but I also know that lambskin is awesome. As I hear it, Todd's standard is the lightest of the available lambskins out there, and I would own one if the sizing were right for me. Alas, it is not. :(

indyclone25

i have bought the todds standard , and i have nothing but kind words to say about --- the fit was very nice the sizing chart is very accurate from todds so please look into it -- i was worried about the arm length when i ordered mine this year but when i got mine it was just fine , no ride up say like when you are driving things tend to get crunched up --it was fine --- here is a pic of me in my jacket --- so i hope this helps in your decision --- but you you have your choice and thats all that matters right? i really like mine and it will be a great jacket for the spring and fall months .

newindyhat017.jpg

indyclone25

oh it hasnt been distressed at all, that will come due to the nature and such. i plan on having this baby til the day i cramp up with pain and can't jump from a moving truck from a horse --lol . but seriously , no it came nice and clean and new --- but i was thinking of distressing it but i figured i would mess it up so i will time run it's course.

indybag131.jpg

eazybox

I also recommend the Todd Standard for your needs. Not only is it one of the more affordable choices, it's also one of the most screen accurate Indy jackets. I took a chance and ordered one of the originals almost 2 years ago, before I saw any reviews, and it surpassed my expectations. It still looks goodf as new. If you don't mind the lightweight leather, you'll probably love it, too. And Todd's customer service is great, should there be a problem with your order.

Jack

Indy Byrd

Thanks everyone!! I've been thinking about what everyone has said and I think I'm gonna take the plunge and order me one soon!

DocWhiskey

Sorry if I'm a bit late to add my opinion, but I'd go with the Todd's standard. It's cheap and great quality. Mine fits me perfectly and is warm when it needs to be. It's my favorite jacket.

DocWhiskey said:
Sorry if I'm a bit late to add my opinion, but I'd go with the Todd's standard. It's cheap and great quality. Mine fits me perfectly and is warm when it needs to be. It's my favorite jacket.

Warm? What climate have you had it in? Considering buying one-- I live in Maryland and would like to wear it throughout the winter but fear it won't be warm enough. Thoughts?

DocWhiskey

ResidentAlien said:
Warm? What climate have you had it in? Considering buying one-- I live in Maryland and would like to wear it throughout the winter but fear it won't be warm enough. Thoughts?

Gearing up on some Indy gear, RA? Nothing beats Indy fashion.

I live in Chicago. It's thin but surprisingly warm. So if I bundle it with a scarf and a sweater I'm fine. It's not meant to keep you super warm, it works best for the fall/spring type, but it works winters for me too personally. Also they run small, so I'd get a size bigger. Sure there's better Indy jackets out there, but the next cheapest one I believe is around $300. For the price of $150 it's a real deal and just great to have. Todd has great service too. So if you're a starving college student like me, you can't go wrong with it.

DocWhiskey said:
Gearing up on some Indy gear, RA? Nothing beats Indy fashion.

I live in Chicago. It's thin but surprisingly warm. So if I bundle it with a scarf and a sweater I'm fine. It's not meant to keep you super warm, it works best for the fall/spring type, but it works winters for me too personally. Also they run small, so I'd get a size bigger. Sure there's better Indy jackets out there, but the next cheapest one I believe is around $300. For the price of $150 it's a real deal and just great to have. Todd has great service too. So if you're a starving college student like me, you can't go wrong with it.

Yeah, I bought his bag, shirt, belt and gloves last week. Extremely satisfied and their customer service is impeccable.

If the jacket's good for you in Chicago, it should be fine for me here in Maryland, I'd think. I usually wear a sweater under my current A2 as is.

Thanks for the reply.

eazybox

ResidentAlien said:

I don't mean to contradict what Doc said, but I live in PA, and the Standard's thin lambskin definitely does not work for me as a winter jacket, even when layered. I understand Todd is using a new variety of lambskin since I bought my Standard, though, so perhaps the newer version is a bit warmer-- but I still wouldn't trust lambskin in bitter cold weather.

For winter use, I would check out US Wings (perhaps cowhide or goatskin for maximum warmth). If you need a custom fit, you could try Magnoli Clothiers, and if money is no object, Tony Nowak, who will build you a jacket that will probably outlive you, and provide you with an amazingly high level of service and personal attention.

But I do agree with the other comments: Todd's jacket is unbeatable for the price and is also one of the most accurate looking Indy jackets you can buy at any price.

Jack

eazybox said:
I don't mean to contradict what Doc said, but I live in PA, and the Standard's thin lambskin definitely does not work for me as a winter jacket, even when layered. I understand Todd is using a new variety of lambskin since I bought my Standard, though, so perhaps the newer version is a bit warmer-- but I still wouldn't trust lambskin in bitter cold weather.

For winter use, I would check out US Wings (perhaps cowhide or goatskin for maximum warmth). If you need a custom fit, you could try Magnoli Clothiers, and if money is no object, Tony Nowak, who will build you a jacket that will probably outlive you, and provide you with an amazingly high level of service and personal attention.

But I do agree with the other comments: Todd's jacket is unbeatable for the price and is also one of the most accurate looking Indy jackets you can buy at any price.

Jack

Money is every bit an object.

What about the clearance Westeds? They have one that MAY fit that's $163. I'm just concerned because if it doesn't fit I'd have to deal with returns over seas.

eazybox

ResidentAlien said:
Money is every bit an object.

What about the clearance Westeds? They have one that MAY fit that's $163. I'm just concerned because if it doesn't fit I'd have to deal with returns over seas.

Exactly. Poor service has long been a problem with Wested-- just check out the numerous complaints on COW. Because of my personal disappointments, I can't in good conscience recommend this company to someone else. but they are very popular, and they do seem to have more satisfied than unsatisfied customers. But, as has often been said, you roll the dice when ordering from them.

To be fair, they do seem to be making more of an attempt lately to be responsive to customer complaints and concerns than they have been in the past. But when you get a jacket with loose atityching and one sleeve an inch shorter than the other, in addition to very poor service, as I did, you become very reluctant to say great things about them.

Jack

eazybox said:
Exactly. Poor service has long been a problem with Wested-- just check out the numerous complaints on COW. Because of my personal disappointments, I can't in good conscience recommend this company to someone else. but they are very popular, and they do seem to have more satisfied than unsatisfied customers. But, as has often been said, you roll the dice when ordering from them.

To be fair, they do seem to be making more of an attempt lately to be responsive to customer complaints and concerns than they have been in the past. But when you get a jacket with loose atityching and one sleeve an inch shorter than the other, in addition to very poor service, as I did, you become very reluctant to say great things about them.

Jack

So I should avoid the Wested and take a gamble with Todd's? I always figure that with Todd's, if I'm dissatisfied, I can return it with minimal hassle. My dealings with them last week were splendid.

eazybox

ResidentAlien said:
So I should avoid the Wested and take a gamble with Todd's? I always figure that with Todd's, if I'm dissatisfied, I can return it with minimal hassle. My dealings with them last week were splendid.

I agree. Todd has exemplary service and will go out of his way to see that you are happy with your purchase. I've had 0 problems, and I'm sure you could return the jacket easily if it didn't work out.

Jack

eazybox said:
I agree. Todd has exemplary service and will go out of his way to see that you are happy with your purchase. I've had 0 problems, and I'm sure you could return the jacket easily if it didn't work out.

Jack

Thanks for the advice, Jack.

Could you do me a huge favor though and take some good detailed pics of the Todd's spread out? I'm having a hell of a time finding anything like that online.

Also, I'm curious as to whether the Todd's has the inside pocket that Wested offers. Todd prides himself on screen accuracy and I keep reading that the screen-worn jackets have the inside pocket. Won't make or break the deal, I'm just curious.

Thanks.