• It's being written and produced in total secrecy

Votes: 26 41.9%

• Total voters

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The year in review:
January 11, 2009
Spielberg: "Some day there may be another Indiana Jones. I can?t say when, but I said that fifteen years ago and it took fifteen years to make Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. But George [Lucas] and I have had a couple of conversations about what if we made another Indy film. But we?re not in any position now to say that we?re definitely doing that."

May 4, 2009
Koepp: ?I thought [Crystal Skull] was a pretty good way to go out, but you never know. Somebody has a great idea, it?s always worth doing... I think [Lucas is] puttering away, seeing what he can come up with... That is safely locked away in the man-sized vault kept in George?s head.?

June 15, 2009
Shia: "Steven just said that he cracked a story on it before I left and I think they're gearing that up."

June 18, 2009
Marshall: "It's really about the script. Once we see that, we'll see. We're not going to wait another 20 years. We'd all love to make another one. I'm anxious to hear the idea! We had a great time making the last one and, as Harrison said, we need to make this one soon. We're not getting any younger. Until there's a script, nothing's definite. I haven't heard the idea."

June 18, 2009
Marshall: "The story for Indy5 is progressing. It is still in the research phase."

June 20, 2009
Shia: "Last I heard they're making progress in terms of the story. I know Harrison is fired up to get back in there as soon as possible and George and Steven want to make another one. They're making progress but nothing is definite about it."

July 12, 2009
Spielberg [translated]: "The scenario is, of course, has not yet been written. And the idea of this is, you're absolutely right. We have long been talking about the fifth part. Think how it could be. And why not? Harrison in fine form and, as before, he has many tricks. Personally, I think that another picture about the adventures of Indiana Jones is quite possible. And believe me, if we decide to do it, it will not wait another 20 years!"

July 29, 2009
Sansweet: "All I know is what I?ve seen on the Internet. I personally would be surprised to see a fifth Indy movie because of all the well known stories about how long it took to get a fourth Indy movie done and everybody in agreement. Who knows... There?s still more to fill in his story, but it?s not the same depth of fandom interest as it is in Star Wars."

September 7, 2009
Karen Allen: "The official announcement that I heard through a friend was that they've announced that another Indiana Jones film will come out the summer of 2012."

September 14, 2009
Ford: "The story for the new Indiana Jones is in the process of taking form. Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and myself are agreed on what the fifth adventure will concern, and George is actively at work. If the script is good, I'll be very happy to put the costume on again."

September 21, 2009
Ford: "Oh, we don't know. We're waiting for a script."

October 17, 2009
Lucas: "Steven and I are talking about it, and Harrison, and hopefully we'll figure it out. It's hard to figure out what the movie should be about. We all have ideas and hopefully we'll come to a conclusion on it at some point."

December 3, 2009
Lucas: "The next Indy film? Yes, we're working on it. It's in development. That's all I can say right now."

lao che & sons

hmmmmmmmm? I hope we get some more small updates in the near future. B:confused: ut as for now I can't call anything. I hadn't heard that recent george lucas one until now.

Morning Bell

It's hard to say, although I voted for Lucas writing the plot very slowly. He seems to really be taking his time, although this film may not even happen so I won't hold my breath for that.

Col. Detritch

It's actually looks like it could very well happen judging by the quotes... I hadn't ever heard some of those before!

I think George is working on a story. It'd be pretty hard, juggeling all those intrduced characters (Indy, Mutt, Marion who Indy married, Dean Charles ect) and stop it from feeling like a high-camp, corny family adventure film! The fact is KotCS took so long to write because Lucas wanted Aliens and Steven didn't! Now that he has it out of his system it shouldn't take as long to find a story they all like!:hat:

Hanselation

Jones Disciple said:
We should learn more about the status of Indy 5 next month when Ford starts doing interviews for Extraordinary Measures.

Yes we should! Who else would know the status of Indiana Jones 5 as "Indiana Jones" himself.

adventure-guide

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
The question for me is there anything left to be said in this current guise?

Indiana jones versus the hippies?

I feel that the theme for the next Indiana jones film will, in someway, involve the theme of mortality and the aging process

So look out for Indiana Jones and the Gates of heaven.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JuniorJones said:
The question for me is there anything left to be said in this current guise?

Indiana jones versus the hippies?

I feel that the theme for the next Indiana jones film will, in someway, involve the theme of mortality and the aging process

So look out for Indiana Jones and the Gates of heaven.

Hippies? They wouldn't go that far into the future. Probably 1960 or so, <I>Mad Men</I>-territory. (Which isn't an idle reference on my part - I feel like the Missile Crisis and the Kennedy assassination are watershed events that shrink the world and lessen its possibilities, respectively. I can't see Indy-style adventure happening past November '63, especially with how very American the most recent installment was. Despite his potential relocation to East Germany, it was an entirely Western hemisphere adventure we got with Indy IV, and I don't think they can simply brush aside those events, should they fall in the time that's spanned between IV and V.)

I'm actually not sure they're that interested in aging, in and of itself. The real thematic obsession in the films, I think, has been about teaching and mentorship and fathers and sons, genetic or otherwise. (Indeed, I personally would have preferred if the Mutt character <I>were not</I> Indy's own progeny, but instead a student who comes under his tutelage. But possibly we'll get an old student of Indy's as an antagonist or sidekick something, this time around.) So aging is involved, but not having so much to do with mortality, but rather aging into responsibility. Whether that means we're going to be left with a film that's explicitly about training Mutt remains to be seen.

At any rate, experience teaches us that it's just getting the essential parties to agree on something that takes the most time. Moedred's got a thread around here about unused elements from prior drafts - we should take a look at that. But as for the object of the quest itself - any indications on what they've expressed interest in before? The China/Africa bit from Monkey King? Or the haunted house idea that's been bandied about multiple times, perhaps in Scotland, also as in Monkey King? The Hitchcockian first act from Darabont's City of the Gods?

Col. Detritch

That sounds right Attila. Anything too modern and an era too 'familiar' to the fans, like the late 60 and 70, might be a strech and I don't see them doing it. They know what Indy's all about and will stick to it!:cool:

I was searching IMDb and found an Indy 5 in 2012 link. The linked page reveals nothing but there is another link to IMDbPro and I've heard it has some great details about the film. I can't access it because I'm not a paying memeber and honestly I don't want to pay for someting I'll use once! If anyone here is aready an IMDbPro memeber I advise you to check it out!

This should be the link to IMDbPro but I can't tell if it'll work because Im not a memeber:
http://pro.imdb.com/title/tt1462764/

This is the Link to the regular IMDb Indy V page if the above doesn't work:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462764/

From the regular page click More at IMDbPro to get there!
:hat:

Le Saboteur

I'll go on record...

...here and say that I hope a fifth film is never made. But since I have to pick one, I opted for Spielberg and/or Ford torpedoing the project.

Mickiana

I'm curious Le Saboteur, why wouldn't you want another Indy flick made? I had my disappointments about #4, but it really reignited my interest in all things Indiana Jones. Is it because #4 disappointed you or is there something else?

Darth Vile

Trying to look at this in both a logical and pragmatic way... lets say for the sake of argument that all interested parties have a genuine desire to make a fifth movie. That being the case, I'd imagine that the time setting for the movie has already been established and agreed i.e. post WWII Iron Curtain backdrop (assuming they don't go back in time - which wouldn't be logical). I also think it's logical to assume that the basic premise has already been agreed, as given the various treatments for Indy IV, the big three probably have a good understanding of what direction they want the story to go in (having already gone through the process for KOTCS).

As with the pre production of Raiders, I imagine they also have a few set pieces devised/tabled for KOTCS, which could make their way into Indy V. So at this stage, I can only imagine that they are going through various iterations of a script (which takes as long as it takes). I'd hope by now that the script (be that a basic version that can be honed/fine tuned) is fast approaching the seal of approval. However, that element of progress is just wishfull thinking on my part. :)

foreignerfred

Personally, I think the script is currently being written, and honestly if the right writer is involved the script might already be complete for all we know. I'm guessing the decades leading up to KOTCS have probably taught them a hard lesson about prematurely announcing "the script is finished!" to the public.

If you look at how the previous films came to be, a pattern (whether intentional or not) appears:

Raiders was a film made with all parties excited about the ENTIRE premise, concept, and tone.

TOD consisted of a story and tone pushed by Lucas that Spielberg went along with despite his many reservations .

LC marked a return to what Spielberg liked about Indiana Jones, including a lighter tone and certain characters.

KOTCS was again a story and overall concept pushed mostly by Lucas with Spielberg eventually caving in to some degree. Spielberg went along with Lucas because he wanted to have fun making Indy with his friends again.

It seems pretty clear to me that after Raiders the Beards have taken turns driving the Indiana Jones vehicle. I imagine Lucas will allow Spielberg to make the ultimatums this time (note that "Spielberg cracked the story") and since Spielberg's tastes are a little closer to home regarding Indy I think this process should go a little smoother.

I'm the guy refreshing theraider.net's homepage every ten seconds waiting for an announcement on Indy 5. With Spielberg potentially calling more of the shots up front, I think there's a better chance that Indy will get the send off he deserves!

Here's hoping.

Ff

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Lucas's treatments are about 20 pages each, with the exception of Crusade, which was a measly 6...
When Boam was brought in he expected a plot skeleton of some kind to layer story muscle and tissue upon. "George Lucas gave me nothing," was his remark of his early meeting. "I was given a laundry list of elements."
All five Indy 4 writers were announced while they were writing. They're always going to use WGA writers, and all scripts are probably registered there to avoid legal challenges (especially with so much earning potential). Even some who merely interviewed were free to discuss the status of Indy 4. So, I don't think we're at that stage yet.

Here's that list of unused elements.

Dr. Gonzo

Moedred said:
All five Indy 4 writers were announced while they were writing. They're always going to use WGA writers, and all scripts are probably registered there to avoid legal challenges (especially with so much earning potential). Even some who merely interviewed were free to discuss the status of Indy 4. So, I don't think we're at that stage yet.

I agree sir. I don't believe a writer is even attached at this stage.

Listen, I'm not sure that a lot of you guys out there understand... a script doesn't write itself. A fast pace for a screenplay to be written is three weeks and that is seriously ridiculously record-breaking fast... and that is still only the first draft! Usually each writer revises the script three to four times, and each draft can take as long as the last... and even longer. Then if it gets passed to another writer... you see what I'm driving at?

On a side note registering your screenplays with the WGA doesn't fully protect you (it's a *****) If you really want it fully protected (which professionals do) you have to get a copyright with the U.S.A. (or where ever some of you folks are from) which is way more expensive. The WGA registration just proves that you have entered a copy of your script with the WGA and the exact date they recieved it and catalouged it... it doesn't necessarily protect your ideas, although that's debateable in some circles. You can access your screenplay at any time from them for legal or other situations for a fee and they mail it to you or where ever you need them to send it (court).
Forgive that little rant.

Anyway, I think it's going to be a while... a long while... that is if they're even serious about making one more film.
I kind of hope it doesn't happen. To me there seems to be a general decline in the quality of these films. What can they do that they haven't already done? And a better question... How can they top it? I don't think they can or should. The writers had since around '95 to really write this last story and even though I knew It wouldn't compare to the others I was still a bit disappointed. I try to convince myself other wise, but that last one hurt me too much... and I love Indiana Jones. Hoping for something better than the last just seems frivolous to me.

Henry Sr.'s words come to mind... "Let it go."

Darth Vile

Dr. Gonzo said:
I agree sir. I don't believe a writer is even attached at this stage.
Listen, I'm not sure that a lot of you guys out there understand... a script doesn't write itself. A fast pace for a screenplay to be written is three weeks and that is seriously ridiculously record-breaking fast... and that is still only the first draft! Usually each writer revises the script three to four times, and each draft can take as long as the last... and even longer. Then if it gets passed to another writer... you see what I'm driving at?
If there is no news (script wise) by summer 2010, I'll start to think Indy V won't happen (given the ever ageing players).

Dr. Gonzo said:
Anyway, I think it's going to be a while... a long while... that is if they're even serious about making one more film.
I kind of hope it doesn't happen. To me there seems to be a general decline in the quality of these films. What can they do that they haven't already done? And a better question... How can they top it? I don't think they can or should. The writers had since around '95 to really write this last story and even though I knew It wouldn't compare to the others I was still a bit disappointed. I try to convince myself other wise, but that last one hurt me too much... and I love Indiana Jones. Hoping for something better than the last just seems frivolous to me.

Henry Sr.'s words come to mind... "Let it go."

Ever decreasing returns I suppose. Truth is, the world didn't really need another Indy movie after Raiders... So it's more a question of what is there left to enjoy out of it (rather than what they can automatically do better)? If there is any real quantifiable depreciation between the sequels (which I think is a reasonable view), I'd posit that it's by smaller degrees than some like to think. Personally speaking, I thought KOTCS was worth while (even if it were just for the new Williams score and the discussions here). The sequels are I think inferior to Raiders, but still better than most of the other similar movies out there. :)