Continue with the series?

How much 'till we're done?

• NOOOO! After KOTCS, I AM done!

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Indy 5, But no more after that.

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • 2nd Trilogy Baby! Bring it ON!

Votes: 61 50.4%
  • Huh? Where are my pants? What year is this?

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Indy Scout 117

y'know, i am ready for an Indy 5, but i wouldnt want anything more after that simply because Harrison Ford is and always will be Indiana Jones, and you cant find any replacement that would be half as good as Ford. if you continue the movies, eventually Ford wont be able to play him unfortunetly so you'd have to find a replacement, which is not cool. :( so i think Indy 5, but no more than that. besides, all the good ideas for artifacts are already in the books, movies, comics, etc. so coming up with a new idea would be very difficult. who agrees with me??

Indy Scout 117 said:
y'know, i am ready for an Indy 5, but i wouldnt want anything more after that simply because Harrison Ford is and always will be Indiana Jones, and you cant find any replacement that would be half as good as Ford. if you continue the movies, eventually Ford wont be able to play him unfortunetly so you'd have to find a replacement, which is not cool. :( so i think Indy 5, but no more than that. besides, all the good ideas for artifacts are already in the books, movies, comics, etc. so coming up with a new idea would be very difficult. who agrees with me??

I agree with you completly and as I and a number of others have already mentioned Indy5 is a very good film to stop at because of the original contract with Paramount for five films. That's what I heard years and years ago, five films, just a few years ago I felt so happy that the fourth one was being made that I didn't think about another one but as soon as KOTCS came out I was enthused for one more. Also to end the slippery sequel slope of "just one more" and after that "just one more" in order to stop the quality from going downhill they should advertise Indy5 as the final chapter of what was always supposed to be five movies. It's just that in 1980 I don't think they envisioned five films would take them into the 21st century much less the second decade of the 21st Century.

Athenee

tigersharka said:
I would like to see Harrison featured in future Indy movies... but concentrate on him... the supporting cast is ok... but he really is the magic. :whip:
Knowing the film industry... they will bring someone else in to play the part and ruin the series. :(
Hopefully not, regarding ruining the series, but I don't think focusing on Indy/Harrison is the way to go.

Indy has always had a 'mission' of sorts--the Ark of the Covenant (keep it from the Nazis), the Sankara stones (accidental, but necessary), the Grail (again, Nazis), the Crystal Skull: the Russians this time, but do you really want them to get some kind of weird@$$ relic that behaves oddly? (see the Russian jungle camp scene) And he's never alone on these missions: Sallah and Marion in 'Ark', Short Round and Willie in 'Temple', Sallah, Marcus, and his father in 'Grail', Mutt, Oxley, and Marion again in 'Skull'.

If Marion is married to Indy now, who is Oxley's housekeeper? He strikes me as the stereotypic 'absent-minded professor' type. I think it would be cool to have him wig out again, speaking another dead pre-Columbian native language (maybe during a course lecture that Mutt is taking).

My concern is not focusing on Indy and his "family"; it's finding a good "Mcguffin" to start the adventure. I mentioned in another post Machu Pichu and the lost city of Z. O'Connell and Evie have demolished the (Chinese) Emperor's tomb, and the comic books did Atlantis--but how about investigating Santorini as Atlantis, or what's at Tambora or Krakatoa? I know there has to have been something out there in the 1950s that had the veneer of "occult" that Indy could have de-mystified--I just don't know my archaeological history as well enough as I should. Suggestions, folks?

Best Wishes, Happy Halloween, Peace, Longevity, Prosperity!!!

Indy's brother

Well, it's been several months, and several rumors have passed. The mood around here has shifted, and we've goten some new members, so here's a bump. Anyone else here care to vote/comment?

jeshopk

I'd say round out the series with two more. It would be really fun to have a couple more Indy films. Any kind of TV spinoffs are of little to no interest to me. They can happen or not. BUT, if John Williams, Spielberg or Ford are not fully involved, then NO. Stop em right there.

Last edited:

Mickiana

One more with Ford, hell, maybe even two more. Then reboot it in earlier times, the 30s and 40s, with someone suitable for the role. It's totally feasible and desirable.

jeshopk

Mickiana said:
One more with Ford, hell, maybe even two more. Then reboot it in earlier times, the 30s and 40s, with someone suitable for the role. It's totally feasible and desirable.

I'd like to see Indiana Jones, Star Wars, ET, Close Encounters, and all the original Lucas/Spielberg classics be spared the reboot/remake treatment. It's really bargain basement studio tactics to recycle characters for new "updates" ad infinitum. I consider Spielberg and Lucas to be creators of original characters and stories, which is different than adapting a comic book to film or something, and deserves enough respect to be left alone in film.

It would be nice to see other filmmakers create some original ideas instead of adapting, rebooting and remaking other storytellers' work all the time. It's really just big budget fan fiction. And to an extent, I even mean Spielberg when he adapts a novel. He has to have more original ideas he can come up with. Nice to see even though Lucas is mainly expanding his existing universes, he's really not interested in adapting other people's work.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

jeshopk said:
I'd like to see Indiana Jones, Star Wars, ET, Close Encounters, and all the original Lucas/Spielberg classics be spared the reboot/remake treatment. It's really bargain basement studio tactics to recycle characters for new "updates" ad infinitum. I consider Spielberg and Lucas to be creators of original characters and stories, which is different than adapting a comic book to film or something, and deserves enough respect to be left alone in film.

It would be nice to see other filmmakers create some original ideas instead of adapting, rebooting and remaking other storytellers' work all the time. It's really just big budget fan fiction. And to an extent, I even mean Spielberg when he adapts a novel. He has to have more original ideas he can come up with. Nice to see even though Lucas is mainly expanding his existing universes, he's really not interested in adapting other people's work.

Agreed. There's no need to keep hammering nails into Indy's coffin. The longer a series goes on, the worse it generally gets. The obvious point is Harrison's age, and for me Harrison = Indy. Then there's the Lucas and Spielberg input, and just how much originality they can inject into successive Indy movies before it's blatant that they're just flogging a dead horse.

KOTCS would probably have had better reception if it was made as part of the Mummy series, with no connection to Indiana Jones at all.

Indy was in his prime in the 1980s. KOTCS was a great and innovative idea (in re-uniting a cast as older versions of themselves). Yet, I find it an awkward hotch-potch of the good, the bad and the downright ugly.

Morning Bell

A second trilogy would be amazing, but only if Ford was the star. Otherwise I say they do Indy V and then leave it at that for the films. :)

Mungi

Right in the moment after I saw "Indy 4" the first time in theater, I thought how great would it be to see two more of it. I'm optimistic, I'm quite sure we'll see at least one more. I'm curious what Karen Allen meant by saying she'll "taking questions" about further adventures at that movie expo in Australia next week...

Last edited:

foreignerfred

Is anyone going to that event? We need an IndyFan in there to get to the real NEED TO KNOW information...

...if Karen even knows more than we do.

Montana Smith

foreignerfred said:
Is anyone going to that event? We need an IndyFan in there to get to the real NEED TO KNOW information...

I think she's always been a big tease. ;)

It took 19 years to 'perfect' the writing of KOTCS.

She should have more definite information sometime around 2026-2027. :p

Stoo

foreignerfred said:
Yes, foreignerfred, there is someone going to that event so don't worry. SHE has promised to report on it...If Karen Allen DOESN'T deliver on what you want to hear, the world will still continue to spin...:p

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
foreignerfred said:

Stoo said:
Yes, foreignerfred, there is someone going to that event so don't worry. SHE has promised to report on it...If Karen Allen DOESN'T deliver on what you want to hear, the world will still continue to spin...

SHE has a name! :rolleyes: Now that my ipod and the tecnical pathway has been tested, it's now all up to Saturday to work out. I will be reporting one way or another.

What is it you would like me to ask Karen in particular, foreignerfred? Or is it generically "is there going to be an Indy V and what do you know"?