Indy 5--a Twilight Zone kind of feel?

Raiders90

Could Indy ever meet a sort of Twilight Zone feel--an eerie sort of story, with a creepy sort of ending or twist or something? I ask since the next movie will likely take place in the late 50s/early 60s, and The Twilight Zone kind of was like the serial of that era.

The Howling Man

Yes!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xR54n5FxeKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raiders90

Attila the Professor said:
Interesting notion. The Bermuda Triangle possibility could certainly fit in this form. And both my read on the Dial of Ahaz and the superbly Orphean Indiana Jones and the Realm of the Dead fan script play around with a Monkey's Paw type element, a prime example of Twilight Zone-esque storytelling.

I think it's one of a few ways to return to the seriousness of ROTLA. IMO, ROTLA has a very mysterious sort of feel to it--Almost dark. From the little musical cues, to the way the Ark is treated until it's power is revealed at the very end--it's eerie. Think of the dark little version of the Indy theme as Indy flies from America to Nepal, or the strange, eerie moment when the Ark burns away the Swastika on the box. The Ark itself is held as this very eerie, unearthly, almost "alien" artifact--And it's treated very seriously. Raiders has a very eerie undertone to it and I want that to come back in another Indy film. Forget the kiddie friendly stuff.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
I think it's one of a few ways to return to the seriousness of ROTLA. IMO, ROTLA has a very mysterious sort of feel to it--Almost dark. From the little musical cues, to the way the Ark is treated until it's power is revealed at the very end--it's eerie. Think of the dark little version of the Indy theme as Indy flies from America to Nepal, or the strange, eerie moment when the Ark burns away the Swastika on the box. The Ark itself is held as this very eerie, unearthly, almost "alien" artifact--And it's treated very seriously. Raiders has a very eerie undertone to it and I want that to come back in another Indy film. Forget the kiddie friendly stuff.

The strength of Raiders was it's sense of earnestness. Despite the humour and pulpy elements it was crying out to be taken seriously as a story. TOD had a seriously dark tone and theme, but that was matched by the playful approach that marked the latter three films. That playfulness was out of control in KOTCS.

An eerie Twilight Zone feel would fit in with the Hitchcockian film noir idea. KOTCS only gave us a tantalizing glimpse of how creepy a cemetery could be. Indy would be well at home poking around in some lonely, creepy location. And I put the stress on lonely. No need for a sidekick if the emphasis is mystery over action.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
The strength of Raiders was it's sense of earnestness. Despite the humour and pulpy elements it was crying out to be taken seriously as a story. TOD had a seriously dark tone and theme, but that was matched by the playful approach that marked the latter three films. That playfulness was out of control in KOTCS.

An eerie Twilight Zone feel would fit in with the Hitchcockian film noir idea. KOTCS only gave us a tantalizing glimpse of how creepy a cemetery could be. Indy would be well at home poking around in some lonely, creepy location. And I put the stress on lonely. No need for a sidekick if the emphasis is mystery over action.

Indeed. I kind of want to see Indy without a sidekick for once. Let's see Indy deal with some of this spooky stuff on his own for once. No sidekick, no guide, no helper. Just him alone against whatever it is. Very personal. Dark sort of story.

Johnny Nys

A TZ vibe is indeed a good idea. I agree about the sidekicks; if a fifth film really does see the light of day, I hope they don't keep the trend of adding another sidekick for each additional movie.

ROTLA: 2 (Indy + Marion)
TOD: 3 (Indy + Willie + Short Round)
LC: 4 (Indy + Henry + Sallah + Marcus)
KOTCS:5 (Indy + Marion + Mutt + Ox + Mac)

What makes Raiders great for me, is the whole "one man against an army" aspect. The enormous threat of what would happen if Indy fails. The bombastic march as Indy rides that horse to go after the ark, and when he climbs on top of the submarine.

For a TZ feel, we need some kind of desperation, some kind of loneliness, a feeling of "how is he ever going to overcome this obstacle".

That's how I feel, anyway.

Ray Hare

!

Base it on religious pursuits! At least they are more then likely to have existed..maybe not so much the supernatural power but hey as long as we have witty and fun..not CAMP!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ray Hare said:
Base it on religious pursuits! At least they are more then likely to have existed..maybe not so much the supernatural power but hey as long as we have witty and fun..not CAMP!

Which relates to the Twilight Zone how?

Ray Hare

Why Twilight Zone?

The reason I mentioned religious relics is because they are somewhat based in reality and combining them with The Twilight Zone twist gives people a tangible connection to relate to...not just silly aliens...and The Twilight Zone never was campy. Check out The Twilight Zone Movie, the part that Spielberg directed on the nazis...superb.

Montana Smith

Ray Hare said:
The reason I mentioned religious relics is because they are somewhat based in reality and combining them with The Twilight Zone twist gives people a tangible connection to relate to...not just silly aliens...

As far as I'm concerned religious relics and the Twilight Zone spring from similar imagination: figments of fiction constructed to tell a specific story often with a moral purpose. Then there are those relics created by religious orders to attract revenue from fee-paying tourists (i.e. pilgrims).

It's what Captain Blumburtt would refer to as "all that mumbo jumbo rubbish". However, in Indy's world we know, and he knows, that some of the mumbo jumbo hocus pocus has a reality. The silly Ark was just as real as the silly aliens.

For me the power emanating from the Ark required just as much a suspension of disbelief as the aliens. The next film could have Thor's hammer or Odin's toothbrush, but it's the quality of the story that matters, and that's what makes them real in Indy's world.

There was nothing really wrong with the aliens themselves, just in the way that they, and other elements of KOTCS, were handled.

A Twilight Zone style twisted tale of mystery could be the perfect vehicle for an investigator of more mature years. The artifact in question could be anything.

Like I was saying in another thread, maybe it's time to revisit the idea of the haunted castle that Lucas had for Indy 3. It fits with the 50's B-Movie aesthetic Lucas is going for and we know how they like to re-visit things that got left out in various drafts of the previous films.

I wouldn't mind a Twilight Zone feel at all.

eazybox

Wasn't it John Landis who directed the segment of the TZ movie that featured Nazis? I think Spielberg helmed the one called "Kick The Can" in which the residents of an old folk's home turn into little kids.

Spielberg's "Poltergeist" was based on the TZ episode "Little Girl Lost," (written by the great Richard Matheson) in which the title character gets lost in the "space between spaces" when she slips through an interdimensional portal in her bedroom. So a TZ-themed Indy 5 would not be too much of a stretch. But my fear would be that George Lucas would want to give it "the cutes", as he insisted on doing with "Crystal Skull."

Jack

eazybox

Nurhachi1991 said:
At the end Indy breaks his glasses..... ITS NOT FAIR THERE WAS TIME NOW!!!!

No, it's Marion who breaks his glasses, yelling "Don't read that, Indy-- it's a COOKBOOK!"

Last edited:

ben85

The idea of a "Twilight Zone" feel is great, and a plot involving a artifact or landmark like Dial of Ahaz or Realm of the dead could work, in the sense of shifting time or opening a portal to another plane of existence.

I think this would be a suitable close to the series because, rather than having Indy die onscreen, it would set up the opportunity for him to cross a boundary between reality and into fiction/fantasy.

Before I read the ideas suggested here I thought the Atlantis set up from the game could work, but changing the ending to a scenario where Indy has to stay behind, or chooses to stay behind in Atlantis, and become a part of legend in that sense.