Raiders-a-Like Movies

smokin_si1138

Does anyone know of any films that are similar in style to the BEST TRILOGY IN THE WORLD EVER (TM)? Oh, for anyone who's a bit slow on the uptake that's Indiana Jones...

I think in recent years the closest has been The Mummy (the first one that is). I remember as a kid I used to love King Solomons Mines. Yes thats right the Richard Chamberlain film... purely because it was a rip off of Raiders (including Allan Quartermain going underneath a train and then being dragged behind said train... osund familiar?).

I saw it recently and almost died... I never quite realised how bad it was! Mind you in my defence it had been about 17 years since I'd seen it... and I was 6 or so at the time...

Anyway, just thought it would be nice to hear other peoples views on movies that rip off the trilogy (either well or very very badly), or those that capture the spirit of it in some way...

Simon

Indycrusader

Yeah, I started a thread like this in General. I saw an episode on TV that directly copied the golden idol scene in ROTLA. And it was filmed well, but it was done stupidly on purpose if you know what I mean. Instead of a golden idol, there was a golden sausage. ?????????

And I was watching AFHV and some guys made a Indy short just to send into AFHV. It was called, "Pasadina Jones and the Temple of Schoom" if I remember correctly. It was done pretty well for somebody who's not a movie company. I liked it so much I requested that clip from AFHV, but so far they haven't answered me.

Most of the Raiders rip-off's were in the eighties, but raiders did more than just create a character that went after lost artifacts. It reawakened the public mind to serial adventure. The type of adventure seen in Indy really hadn't been done at that pace before. So a string of rip offs modelled after the pacing of Indiana Jones are:

Jake Speed
Remo Williams the Adventure begins...
FireWalker
King Solomans Mines
Alan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold
Romancing the Stone
Jewel of the Nile
Goonies
Young Sherlock Holmes

Ska

I put my list in the General section called Indy-related movies. Check it out...

Ska

Indy007

Romancing the Stone does rip off Indiana Jones very well, and even captures the spirit. Have not seen that picture in years, but hopefully a special edition may come out next year for its twentieth anniversary.

British_Lion_2003

thegreatimposter said:
Most of the Raiders rip-off's were in the eighties, but raiders did more than just create a character that went after lost artifacts. It reawakened the public mind to serial adventure. The type of adventure seen in Indy really hadn't been done at that pace before. So a string of rip offs modelled after the pacing of Indiana Jones are:

Jake Speed
FireWalker
King Solomans Mines
Romancing the Stone
Jewel of the Nile
Goonies
Young Sherlock Holmes

Arnt Sherlock Holmes and Alan Quartermain heros invented before Indiana Jones?

Ska

You are correct in saying that the CHARACTERS were created before Indy, but those versions of the MOVIES were after Raiders. There have been at least 5 versions of King Solomon's Mines, but the one with Richard Chamberlain was, I believe, made around '84, which would put it three years after Raiders.
Here's my list of movies from another thread:
http://www.theraider.net/theraven//showthread.php?threadid=5324

Ska

Ska

Has anyone seen League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? It didn't look too good to me, but I saw that it has Quartermain (played by Sean Connery too!). Are there any parts of that movie that are Indy related? I did see a picture of Quartermain with his brown fedora. I might have to rent this one.

Ska

jamie

00Kevin said:
jamie said:
I'd add 007: The Living Daylights to the list.

?????????????????
There were lots of desert sequences, a bit of a departure for a Bond movie, the was horseback action (again, not very "Bond"), and some of the stunts were Indy-like such as Bond jumping on top of the truck. The plot with no real villain, unlike every other Bond movie, more Like Raiders style of kind of opposing teams but no real individual for Bond to be going after all movie.
I could probably think of more but this is my least fave Bond movie and I dont feel like watching it.

SKAbatula said:
Has anyone seen League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? It didn't look too good to me, but I saw that it has Quartermain (played by Sean Connery too!). Are there any parts of that movie that are Indy related? I did see a picture of Quartermain with his brown fedora. I might have to rent this one.

Ska
It was terrible. It didnt know whether to be a literary thriller or a mindless special effects action movie. Problem is, those interested in the characters are unlikely to want to see a brainless action movie, and those who want an action movie are unlikely to know who those characters are.
Connery was excellent though. He had some nice Bond-ish moments.

[Edited by jamie on 11-12-2003 at 12:58 pm]

British_Lion_2003 said:
thegreatimposter said:

Jake Speed
FireWalker
King Solomans Mines
Romancing the Stone
Jewel of the Nile
Goonies
Young Sherlock Holmes

Arnt Sherlock Holmes and Alan Quartermain heros invented before Indiana Jones?

Yes the characters were. But the style and movies themselves were done after. The inspiration is obvious

Lightning

One of the most Raiders like movies has got to be "The Rocketeer" In fact it was compared to Raiders when it first came out. It's in the right time period complete with Los Angeles 1938 at the beginning. The comic it is based on drew it's inspiration from 1930's serials as well ("Rocket Man" and "Commander Cody" if I remember correctly). Plus the movie was meant to be the first in a series of films but Disney mishandled the release date. I've often thought that Indy fans really ought to adopt this movie.

jamie

I cant believe no-ones mentioned 'The Phantom' (Billy Zane)! So many parts of that movie were a straight rip off of Indy. Its rips off Indy way more then 'The Mummy'.
Its in the same era (its set in 1936), theres supernatural artifacts and archeaological elements, bad guys going after said supernatural artifacts, cult type group living in a volcano, natives, jungles, caves, horse stunts, a plane running out of fuel and crashing into mountains just after the passengers make an unlikely escape (sound familiar?) and most blatant of all - a suspension bridge that breaks in half leaving the characters hanging on.
Easily the most blatant Indy ripoff movie ever made.
Jim

Attila the Professor

Staff member
jamie said:
I cant believe no-ones mentioned 'The Phantom' (Billy Zane)! So many parts of that movie were a straight rip off of Indy. Its rips off Indy way more then 'The Mummy'.
Its in the same era (its set in 1936), theres supernatural artifacts and archeaological elements, bad guys going after said supernatural artifacts, cult type group living in a volcano, natives, jungles, caves, horse stunts, a plane running out of fuel and crashing into mountains just after the passengers make an unlikely escape (sound familiar?) and most blatant of all - a suspension bridge that breaks in half leaving the characters hanging on.
Easily the most blatant Indy ripoff movie ever made.
Jim

However, wasn't the original "Phantom" an influence on Indy?

jamie

Attila the Professor said:
However, wasn't the original "Phantom" an influence on Indy?
I wouldnt really have thought so. The Phantom comic never really took off in the US and the old serials werent very popular and didnt last long.
But even if the Phantom was an influence on Indy, the 1996 movie still ripped off a lot of things from the movie. The stunts for example, which werent from the comics or the serial, were just copied straight from the Indy movies, and the same with the plot.
Jim

Marion

King Solomon's mines is my pick for right now there are so many similarities between the movies its really ridiculous. Its like the 3 indy movies in one and not as good.

Ska

Rented the Phantom yesterday, and you were right. Once I got past the purple tights, I could imagine Indy doing all of those things! And even though this should go in another thread, I feel that Billy Zane would be the best alternative to Ford (not saying that anyone could replace Harrison) as Indy. He also played a good role in The Diamond of Jeru. Thanks for the info on the movie.

Ska