General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Not one movie too many, one mediocre movie too many. But please keep Indy movies coming.:whip:

Mediocrity generally breeds mediocrity. Look at the 3 Star Wars prequels. It took George all the way to the end of Revenge of the Sith before he started finding the classic form that made the original trilogy so great. If you thought KOTCS was mediocre, then I wouldn't hold much hope for Indy V.

I thought KOTCS was all right, and set within the familiar world of Indy, and with a consistent character, so I probably won't find Indy V a disappointment when, or if, it arrives. But I expect when, or if, it does arrive, it'll be subject to all the venomous hatred that KOTCS suffered.

Then we can have some more enjoyable analysis and arguments! :hat:

Major West

What's needed is some creative fresh blood from elsewhere, but sadly we're not going to get it.

I'd happily prefer a reboot of the franchise. Set things back in the 30s with a new actor playing Indy. Imagine a new series of films potentially as good as the first two.

AndyLGR

Montana Smith said:
Mediocrity generally breeds mediocrity. Look at the 3 Star Wars prequels. It took George all the way to the end of Revenge of the Sith before he started finding the classic form that made the original trilogy so great. If you thought KOTCS was mediocre, then I wouldn't hold much hope for Indy V.

I thought KOTCS was all right, and set within the familiar world of Indy, and with a consistent character, so I probably won't find Indy V a disappointment when, or if, it arrives. But I expect when, or if, it does arrive, it'll be subject to all the venomous hatred that KOTCS suffered.
I thought a lot of the criticism thrown at KOTCS was justified and, as with the SW prequels, people expect the new movie to meet the standards of the originals. In truth that?s probably hard to achieve when these movies have had so long to sink into the subconscious and become part of our culture if you like. For me KOTCS came a long way short of the originals, just as Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones did. I accept that maybe my expectations were too high, but there were elements in the latest SW & Indy movies that were extremely poor to me, fundamentals like dialogue and some aspects of the story.

I saw Harrisons interview here in the UK on Film 2010 last night with Jonathan Ross and of course they discussed Indy 5. He gave the stock answer of George having an idea that he and Steven would have to happy with, but he said he was eager to reprise the role again. At this rate he will be in his 70?s by the time the film rolls around.

????and despite my lack of enjoyment of KOTCS, as an Indy fan I am still eager to see an Indy 5.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Mediocrity generally breeds mediocrity. Look at the 3 Star Wars prequels. It took George all the way to the end of Revenge of the Sith before he started finding the classic form that made the original trilogy so great.

AndyLGR said:
I thought a lot of the criticism thrown at KOTCS was justified and, as with the SW prequels, people expect the new movie to meet the standards of the originals. In truth that?s probably hard to achieve when these movies have had so long to sink into the subconscious and become part of our culture if you like. For me KOTCS came a long way short of the originals, just as Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones did.

Hey? Don?t dis The Star Wars. ;)

AndyLGR

Darth Vile said:
Hey? Don?t dis The Star Wars. ;)
I've always been a SW nut, but as much as I love the prequels they arent as good as the originals, :( yet the the prequels still hold up to repeat viewing for me :D . And I've mentioned before I was so disappointed with KOTCS that I actually enjoyed the cinema experience of The Phantom Menace more.:whip:

emtiem

AndyLGR said:
At this rate he will be in his 70?s by the time the film rolls around.

Which does sound bad, but then Connery was still making action movies and thrillers in his 70s; it's not inconceivable.

AndyLGR

emtiem said:
Which does sound bad, but then Connery was still making action movies and thrillers in his 70s; it's not inconceivable.
... and some decent films late in his career, especially The Rock.

It wasnt really a negative about Harrisons age, just the time its taking to get another one together.

Le Saboteur

All of the problems with Crystal Skull, and the franchise in general, can be found right here in this excerpt.

Harrison Ford said:
"The process works like this," he said. "We come to some basic agreement and then George goes away for a long time and works on it."

"Then Steven and I get it in some form, some embryonic form."

"Then if we like it we start working with George on it and at some point down the line it's ready and we do it."

Hands off, please. Somebody needs to remind Harrison that he's just an actor. And I'd still like a new director.

Montana Smith

Major West said:
Just an actor? He is Indiana Jones. No movie without him. If he says jump, you say how high.

Too true. Harrison brought so much more to the part than just turning up, reading his lines and going through the motions. He has been personally involved in the creation of the character in every movie. In interviews Harrison is dull, but as Indiane Jones, Harrison is Indiana Jones.

Darth Vile

AndyLGR said:
I've always been a SW nut, but as much as I love the prequels they arent as good as the originals, :( yet the the prequels still hold up to repeat viewing for me :D . And I've mentioned before I was so disappointed with KOTCS that I actually enjoyed the cinema experience of The Phantom Menace more.:whip:

Personally speaking, whilst Star Wars:ANH and TESB are the pinnacle, I think all three prequels are better than ROTJ. All worthy in my book :)

emtiem

Blimey; Harrison on BBC Breakfast this morning being surprisingly chirpy and chatty! I thought I'd never see the day.
I quite like it if someone asked him 'when you made Indy 4, did you think people would stop asking when you're making another Indiana Jones?' :)

Montana Smith

emtiem said:
Blimey; Harrison on BBC Breakfast this morning being surprisingly chirpy and chatty! I thought I'd never see the day.
I quite like it if someone asked him 'when you made Indy 4, did you think people would stop asking when you're making another Indiana Jones?' :)

Maybe he's back on the cocaine again? I've never seen him chirpy.

Major West

Considering how much money he made from KOTCS, I'd be very chirpy and happy to do another one as well, in box office terms it was his biggest hit in a long time. He's probably come to realize that IJ is the thing he will be most remembered for, and whereas years ago the association might have been a concern for him doing other roles it clearly isn't the case now. He's also seen how the IJ films popularity have crossed over to the next generation of young people. It's great to see him him embracing it.

Last edited:

Dewy9

Major West said:
Considering how much money he made from KOTCS, I'd be very chirpy and happy to do another one as well, in box office terms it was his biggest hit in a long time. He's probably come to realize that IJ is the thing he will be most remembered for, and whereas years ago the association might have been a concern for him doing other roles it clearly isn't the case now. He's also seen how the IJ films popularity have crossed over to the next generation of young people. It's great to see him him embracing it.

I think he genuinely loves Indy and playing the role (he does as many of his own stunts as he can, too), but he was the highest paid actor for 2008 and his only movie was KOTCS. He brought in $60 million. Not a bad pay day.

Indy's brother

Dewy9 said:
I think he genuinely loves Indy and playing the role

I agree and here is my unbiased reason why. I have said before that I am a fan of Indiana Jones, but not really a fan of HF. Not that I dislike him in any way. His other films just haven't touched me. Everything else I've seen him in (with the exception of Blade Runner) I can tell that he is a paid actor, acting his way through a movie. With Indy, he just seems to slip right into the character effortlessly, or at least he makes it seem effortless. He couldn't accomplish that if he didn't truly have an affection for the role.