Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods !!!

yodazone

Dr.Sartorius said:
This is some kind of sick joke. Dark Horse really has their heads up their asses.

I love Dark Horse Comics but they have been really slow with moving books for the "Indy" line.

Now it looks like "Tomb of the Gods" is bimonthly!

Feel free and post on this DH thread to see if updates are given on the Indy line:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards/viewtopic.php?t=13449

(y)

(they haven't announced the creative team or release date for the "Indiana Jones Adventures" Vol. 2 either....) :eek:

DIrishB

KMcCallister said:
Dark Horse website now says September 3rd.

Awww, crap. Thats almost a month delay now on only the second issue. I assume its due to DH rushing to get this mini out as close to the movie's release as possible (Issue 1 came out July 9...ideally I'd think they'd have preferred May 9 or June 9). I assume that didn't leave enough time for the artist to get enough of a head start, and its probably taking longer than planned (his detailed artwork does look time consuming). The fact that issues 3 and 4 don't have finalized covers yet is worrisome also.

Oh well. The quality of the first issue was impressive (story and art), so its worth the wait. I guess in that sense this is like the Ultimates of the Indy comics.

(For those who don't know, The Ultimates, by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch, was an amazing re-imagining of Marvel's The Avengers, but was horribly delayed almost every issue)

HovitosKing

DIrishB said:
Oh well. The quality of the first issue was impressive (story and art), so its worth the wait. I guess in that sense this is like the Ultimates of the Indy comics.

Agreed. I'm pretty much alone in this opinion, but I think the previous DH Indy comics have been really, really bad in both artwork and story. This one impressed me with issue 1, and I'm willing to wait a bit to ensure the next 3 issues are equally good.

DIrishB

HovitosKing said:
Agreed. I'm pretty much alone in this opinion, but I think the previous DH Indy comics have been really, really bad in both artwork and story. This one impressed me with issue 1, and I'm willing to wait a bit to ensure the next 3 issues are equally good.

You're definitly not alone in your harsh opinion of the earlier Dark Horse Indy comics. The storylines in pretty much all of them were rather weak (even Fate of Atlantis dragged...it worked much better as a game) and uninteresting, and the artwork was amateurish and old-fashioned at best, and downright ugly and hard to look at at worst.

However, Tomb of the Gods was a pleasant surprise in turning that trend around. Not only is the story interesting, fun, and pure Indy, but the artwork and coloring is simply amazing. I'd never even heard of the artist (Steve Scott) before reading this issue, but I'll be keeping an eye out for his work in the future. He knows what he's doing, for sure, and possesses an amazing degree of talent. The coloring worked very well also, especially in the outdoor, rooftop scenes.

I hate to have to wait to get more of this great tale, but as said, I'm positive it will be well worth it.

I'm also hoping DH is noticing the strong sales of this issue (and the Indy Adventures digest) and is lining up talent for future Indy tales. I just hope Rob Williams and Steve Scott are involved. They've proven they know how to bring Indy to the comic page with impressive results.

Indy&HanFan

I actually have never bought an Indy comic. :(

I'm pretty bored now. I think I'll go finish reading my latest Star Wars book.

HovitosKing

Indy&HanFan said:
I actually have never bought an Indy comic. :(

Well, the most obvious remedy for that is to go buy the Tomb of the Gods comic, which is only $2.99 and well worth it. The first issue is still on shelves, so it's not like you're jumping in mid-story either.

HovitosKing

15502.jpg

DH now lists TotG issue #2 as a Sept. 10th release. What a tease. I have to know if Indy survived the blast!!

DIrishB

HovitosKing said:
15502.jpg

DH now lists TotG issue #2 as a Sept. 10th release.

:(

What a tease.

Seriously, this is like my first "high-school" girlfriend. Really interesting and nice to look at, but its taking forever to get anywhere.

;)

It is a great comic (based on issue #1) so far, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest.

Luckily, not as eagerly as I was in high school.

I have to know if Indy survived the blast!!

(I could easily make a joke in bad taste, referencing my previous sentence. But I'm better than that.)

Anyway...Of course not! He dies, but is brought back to life in a clone (ghola from the Dune series style) and becomes Indiana Jones 2.0 Jr. Thats why there are two Indy's on the cover. The clone is obviously a giant or something. Stupid Nazis can't get their cloning right. :rolleyes:

Oh no...I might've just given Lucas his "perfect" idea for Indy 5. Oh no...

:dead:

HovitosKing said:

Not alone at all. I agree entirely and have been very vocal on that front. Aside from the excellent cover art, the original Dark Horse run was horrendous.

..the only thing I dislike about this new issue is the cover. Brilliant interior art and solid narrative.

Can't wait for Issue 2. This wait is starting to **** me off. Also my local comic shops aren't ordering this line which is really annoying.

yodazone

It pretty much improved on the sales of the KOTCS Adaptations from May and those issues came with 2 covers each:

INDIANA JONES & KINGDOM O/T CRYSTAL SKULL #1* $5.99 DAR 14,261

INDIANA JONES & KINGDOM O/T CRYSTAL SKULL #2* $5.99 DAR 13,130

All they need to do now is ramp up the monthly releases of the Indy line.

(y)

Rob Williams

"I'm also hoping DH is noticing the strong sales of this issue (and the Indy Adventures digest) and is lining up talent for future Indy tales. I just hope Rob Williams and Steve Scott are involved. They've proven they know how to bring Indy to the comic page with impressive results."

Feel free to email Dark Horse to tell them ;)

Thanks for the support, all. It's great to read that the majority of diehard fans feel like we got Indy right with Tomb.

And take a look at my blog from time to time. I'll post up preview art from future issues where I can:

www.robwilliamscomics.co.uk

DIrishB

Rob Williams said:
"I'm also hoping DH is noticing the strong sales of this issue (and the Indy Adventures digest) and is lining up talent for future Indy tales. I just hope Rob Williams and Steve Scott are involved. They've proven they know how to bring Indy to the comic page with impressive results."

I have done so, will do so again.

Thanks for the support, all. It's great to read that the majority of diehard fans feel like we got Indy right with Tomb.

The support is well-deserved. The scripting was tight, the characters dead-on, and the tale itself easily the best Indy comic book adventure...EVER. And as that preview of the first three pages of #2 on the previous page shows us, the same can probably be said of the second issue...and I have no doubts the third and fourth will be excellent as well.

Seriously, man, your scripting and Steve's artwork is exactly the breath of fresh, adventurous, intelligent, fun air the Indy comics world has desperately needed since...well...forever. From Marvels "Further Adventures of IJ" to Dark Horse's various mini's in the 90's run, there were really no truly great Indy adventures told in the comics. Tomb of the Gods remedied that, and then some (the recent Indiana Jones Adventures digest was also quite good in its approach, but thats neither here nor there).

Not sure if you're game or not, but I very much hope to see you writing more Indy tales in the future.

And take a look at my blog from time to time. I'll post up preview art from future issues where I can:

Awesome!

Thanks for posting, Rob!

Dr.Sartorius

Rob Williams said:

Your work on Tomb of the Gods has been great. After more than a decade without any Indy comics its great to finally have a series worthy of the name Indiana Jones.

The delays between issues is very frustrating though. I hope this doesn't continue for the rest of the series.

I hope you'll write for other Dark Horse Indy comics. Tomb of the Gods is very promising.

emtiem

Hello there;

Just wanted to say that I've finally grabbed the first one and it's excellent!

The Indy Comic is reprinting them here in the UK, which is nice as the format's slightly bigger, and according to their page on the next issue, we should get it on September 4th: so if they keep to that we'll get Tomb of the Gods part 2 before the US!