Raiding The Lost Ark - New Project

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Billy Ray said:
Be sure to check out the Star Wars ones for an idea of what the Raiders on will be like. They are pretty much the entire film, with the commentary/interviews/behind the scenes stuff inserted throughout. Very cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vW38mY5RHQ&feature=related

Sure. But Indy isn't Star Wars, and there's a lot that implies in terms of available material, particularly in terms of how much of what is available is in an audio format. That's what I'm interested to see.

My favorite aspect of the SW project was substituting and adding additional cuts/deleted scenes of which there are very few with regards to Raiders.

Where I enjoy seeing the footage and his editing choices, I'm affraid its destined to be the documentaries stitched into the film.

In any event I will be another happy fan watching, hoping and over analizing the product.

Billy Ray

Attila the Professor said:
Sure. But Indy isn't Star Wars, and there's a lot that implies in terms of available material, particularly in terms of how much of what is available is in an audio format. That's what I'm interested to see.

Ah, gotcha! Sorry, I misunderstood your post, thought you were wondering what the format was like.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
My favorite aspect of the SW project was substituting and adding additional cuts/deleted scenes of which there are very few with regards to Raiders.
That was my favourite aspect as well, which is precisely why I suggested above to include the extra dialogue & alternate sound effects from the TV version of the truck chase. Guess he's not keeping up with this thread.:( Oh, well...

"Star Wars" has a wealth of this type of material but "Raiders" does not so every morsel should be used, no matter how small.

In any case, thanks for posting the sneak-peek, Rocket.:)
jambedavdar said:
If you have anything you could contribute, then please get in touch.
Hello, Jamie? Are you out there?:confused:

jambedavdar

Sorry guys! I clearly hadn't subscribed to the thread.

I am really pleased that you like what you've seen so far.

There is certainly the challenge of trying to keep this project balanced. Obviously some of the scenes are more well documented than others. But fear not, I won't release this unless I can do the film justice.

Whilst Star Wars and it's sequels have lots of audio and visual differences, Raiders clearly doesn't. I will therefore be concentrating more heavily on the technical and story aspects of the making of Raiders.

To give you an impression of what I've done so far. Here is my FCP timeline.
http://t.co/O4KE0NdO

This is the whole 'filmumentary' so far, and every little block and splice is an edit I have made. This is without the interview of Wolf Kahler I'm doing next week. Do let me know if there are any questions you'd like me to ask him. I also hope to interview Brian Muir who sculpted part of the Ark. I also have a friend working on some animation...

Any help in getting hi-res scans of the Swordsman deleted storyboards would be appreciated.

Cheers guys
J

Last edited:

jambedavdar

KarmicCurse said:
Are you going to re-edit your Star Wars films to include all the deleted scenes from the blu-rays?

No, I have no intention to do that. They are products of their time. Altering them now not be fair.

paraiderfan

Brian Muir

Hi Jamie,

If you do get a chance to interview Brian Muir, would you consider asking him if he got some of his inspiration on the ark from the movie "David and Bathsheba". I've seen pictures of it, and part of it looks pretty close to the Raiders ark.

Thanks

Rocky

jambedavdar

paraiderfan said:
Hi Jamie,

If you do get a chance to interview Brian Muir, would you consider asking him if he got some of his inspiration on the ark from the movie "David and Bathsheba". I've seen pictures of it, and part of it looks pretty close to the Raiders ark.
Thanks
Rocky

I certainly will. Though I am not sure if Brian is going to be available in time. I'll keep you informed.

paraiderfan said:
...if he got some of his inspiration on the ark from the movie "David and Bathsheba". I've seen pictures of it, and part of it looks pretty close to the Raiders ark.

James Tissot...

Ark_Passes_Over_The_Jordan_James_Tissot.jpg

...and don't forget Frank "Scooby Doo" Welker as the monkey!

jambedavdar

Had a great chat to Wolf Khaler. Got some greet stuff. wolf even showed me a photo I hadn't seen before. I might have to ask for a copy!

Hopefully chatting to Mark Mangini soon.

Brian Muir is very busy, but I hope to catch up with him at some point.

In the meantime is anybody able to provide me with high resolution scans of the deleted scenes photos that are in Lucasfilm Magazine Issue 30, July/August 2001? Your help would be very much appreciated and will also give you a credit, if you want one.

Thanks
J

paraiderfan

jambedavdar said:
In the meantime is anybody able to provide me with high resolution scans of the deleted scenes photos that are in Lucasfilm Magazine Issue 30, July/August 2001?

Hi Jamie, I have the Star Wars insider for that time period. It celebrates the 20th anniversary of Raiders, but it is issue 54. Is that the one you are looking for and if it is, I can get you the scans you are looking for. Let us know
Thanks again for doing this.
Would you consider sending Ed the entire audio interviews you get sometime after you release the documentary.
Talk to you later

Last edited by a moderator:

jambedavdar

paraiderfan said:
Hi Jamie, I have the Star Wars insider for that time period. It celebrates the 20th anniversary of Raiders, but it is issue 54. Is that the one you are looking for and if it is, I can get you the scans you are looking for. Let us know
Thanks again for doing this.
Would you consider sending Ed the entire audio interviews you get sometime after you release the documentary.
Talk to you later

I am looking for higher resolution scans of the deleted scenes photos as shown here - http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/deleted_scenes.php

Wolf Kahler also showed me a photo from the Sallah Execution scene that I haven't seen before. I didn't ask for a copy at the time of the interview but I've just sent him an email to kindly ask if he'll oblige.

As for sending Ed the entire interview... I'll have to pass it by Wolf but I am sure he will be okay.

Thanks for your help.
J

paraiderfan

jambedavdar said:
I am looking for higher resolution scans of the deleted scenes photos as shown here - http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/deleted_scenes.php

Wolf Kahler also showed me a photo from the Sallah Execution scene that I haven't seen before. I didn't ask for a copy at the time of the interview but I've just sent him an email to kindly ask if he'll oblige.

As for sending Ed the entire interview... I'll have to pass it by Wolf but I am sure he will be okay.

Thanks for your help.
J

Hi again Jamie-I looked at the magazine and I could see no deleted scenes in it. It has a few pages on Raiders and a few on the whole Indy franchise. But that's about it. Hopefully the 30th issue of Lucasfilm Mag in France is different from the one here in the states. Sorry but I don't think I have what you are looking for. But I'll keep an eye out for things.

jambedavdar

Praiderfan - Thanks for looking.

After something called a lie-in we sat in bed and watched Raiding the Lost Ark from beginning to end. I am really please with it so far!

If I can get Robert Watts on tape with help from @indycast , Raiding will be 90% complete! Only Muir and Mangini in Nov left and I'm done!

I still need Lucasfilm magazine issue 30 from 2001. It's the French edition. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Daley

jambedavdar said:
Praiderfan - Thanks for looking.

After something called a lie-in we sat in bed and watched Raiding the Lost Ark from beginning to end. I am really please with it so far!

If I can get Robert Watts on tape with help from @indycast , Raiding will be 90% complete! Only Muir and Mangini in Nov left and I'm done!

I still need Lucasfilm magazine issue 30 from 2001. It's the French edition. Your help would be very much appreciated.

This is such an exciting project, a real treat for us Indy fans, so thank you:hat:
I must say I've seen your Star Wars documentaries and thoroughly enjoyed them, they are superbly done.

Would you consider giving Temple and Crusade the same treatment eventually, after Raiding the Lost Ark is complete?

Sharkey

jambedavdar said:
I am a big fan of Raiders, its one of my favourite movies, but I am by no means an expert, at least not in the same way that I am with Star Wars. So, I kindly request help from you lovely people.

If you have anything you could contribute, then please get in touch.
You should leave it to someone who actually is an expert, Star Bores boy. Especially when you need Indy fans to donate all the content and hafta beg people at this forum to come to you with it.

A Stephen Hawking interview by a giggling airhead TV hostess on a fluff morning program would probably have more meat than whatever youre gonna toss together.

Tell ya what, stay away from Indy and stick to flix you are an expert on...movies with midgets, muppets and cute little teddy bears.