The Mummy series

Snakes

That trailer was fantastic! I was looking forward to this movie before, but the trailer definitely got me a lot more exited about it. I love how there will be a yeti in this one. My favorite shot was the two planes dive bombing the terracotta soldiers. AWESOME! The trailer on the official Mummy is slightly different than the one posted a little ways back, the "here we go again" is replaced by Rick running in front of a truck and yelling "wow wow wow! There's a mummy on the loose!"

Last edited:

Shortie

I've only seen the first which was ok, but I liked National Treasure better. Is the sequel any better?

SixKadamHigh

Snakes said:
Naw, I definitely think the first Mummy is better than the 2nd.

Definitely. They both have great humor, but the second has crap CG, some bad plot holes, and the Rock.

Otherwise, it was okay.

AndyLGR

As far as Indy copy films go I think thatthe Mummy and National Treasure series are the best of the bunch.

The Mummy offers a good twist by making it Indiana Jones meets the Mummy. I think the results are very good. I also enjoyed the 2nd one too, granted the cgi Scorpion King is crap and the plot is cheesy, but it was an enjoyable experience watching it, isn't that what films are about?

I'm surprised they have a third on the way, but judging by the trailer it looks very good and they even throw a yeti in for good measure.

I would be more than happy if they continued to make these kind of films that 'ape' but not quite top the Inidana Jones series. These are the kind of action-adventure films I like to watch.

IndyMac

Thoughts

Watching the first Mummy movie is something I still enjoy, that is the magic of the first. It was cheesy, exaggerated and silly. That's what made it fun for me. It reminded me of Indiana Jones because of all that. We had the hero who was always in over his head, the love interest who was just as stubborn as the hero, the guy who helps our hero in his quest who also proves to be pretty awesome himself, and the comical relief. That's what makes it fun, it's not a horror story, it's an action-adventure that happens to exist in the realm of fantasy. The mummy coming back to life was a great idea to add in, and made the treasure hunting aspect of the movie all the more important. They needed to find the golden book to kill the creature. Very fun addition. Over all a great movie to sit back and enjoy.

The biggest problem with the second one, is that it really didn't add anything new to it all. Yes the mummy must now kill a bigger mummy is way cool. But, it was stale in the fact that, most of what was done, had been done before. The mummy coming to life AGAIN, and Rick must kill it AGAIN. While it had fun moments of the first, it was stale in its storytelling, it wasn't new. But when your franchise is called the mummy, it's hard to do something new. This is the seconds biggest failing. I enjoy the heck outta the movie, but it's not as fresh.

The third has one big failing for it, and it's the same as the second, but only bigger. Another Mummy comes to life? Honestly? Another army is being raised to take over the world? The group has to kill the mummy? What? No originality. Just a new location and mummy to hope people will forget about the second. But my Wife was the first to notice it, and she is a die-hard fan of the mummy movies. It looks fun, but holy cow. I'll probably still see it for the same reasons I love the first, but that is the big problems with them all.

AnnieJones

What does Meshiver mean?

In The Mummy,Terence Bey says to Evelyn,"Now,I don't care how you do it,I don't care how long it takes,straighten up this meshiver!"
What does meshiver mean?
The first conclusion me and my family came to when we first watched the movie was maybe it's another word for mess and apparently we weren't the only people who thought that because someone who is a member of Movie Mistakes:The Mummy movie questions and answers posted this,"Meshiver is just another word for mess." However the person who put this answer up didn't give a source for the conclusion of his/her answer.He/she didn't say what language it was.Naturally,I would assume it's Arabic considering the official language in Egypt is Arabic and they were speaking Arabic throughout the whole movie,but I looked up Arabic - meshiver and I couldn't find any Arabic translations.I did however,find a word in Hebrew - mishivah(it looks and sounds very similar),but I couldn't find out what that meant either.Besides,it wouldn't make any sense that it would be a Hebrew word when,like I said,the official language in Egypt is Arabic.

P.S.
I hope I put this thread in the right place.

Last edited:

AnnieJones

I figured maybe,possibly,that the person who did the subtitles in The Mummy may have gotten the spelling of the word wrong and the word may have actually been meant to be spelled differently.If Terence Bey was speaking Hebrew it would have been because he might know both languages because of knowing a lot about ancient history and therefore know other languages,but I'm not 100% sure if he was speaking Hebrew or if he even knows Hebrew.That's the second reason why I started this thread.The first reason being I was just curious of the literal translation to what he said.Does anyone here know either language?

Last edited:

Col. Detritch

I've never heard it before but maybe Terence is Jewish and has just thrown it into a sentence as is commonly done with words such as goy, Mazal Tov or oy vey!

You're probably correct with the whole "mess." I haven't seen them all and don't remember the word mentioned from what I have seen, but when I saw your thread title I immediately thought: meshuga, which is crazy/senseless...

What does the closed captioning read?

AnnieJones

Yes,I did consider meshugana(also spelled meshugganah)as an option,but it has four syllables and meshiver only has three.

The closed captioning reads as meshiver.

Last edited:
AnnieJones said:
Yes,I did consider meshugana(also spelled meshugganah)as an option,but it has four syllables and meshiver only has three.

The closed captioning reads as meshiver.
The words are not cast in stone, I've heard the three syllable meshuga many times. Closed captioning isn't flawless...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Closed captioning isn't flawless...

That's true. I often put subtitles on when watching American movies, as sometimes it sounds like the actors are mumbling in a foreign tongue.

So I've noticed that the typers of the captions often invent their own dialogue. I don't know if they think they're improving a movie for the hard of hearing or just lessening the amount they have to type and display on screen.

Montana Smith said:
That's true. I often put subtitles on when watching American movies, as sometimes it sounds like the actors are mumbling in a foreign tongue.

So I've noticed that the typers of the captions often invent their own dialogue. I don't know if they think they're improving a movie for the hard of hearing or just lessening the amount they have to type and display on screen.

I finally remembered the one I caught the other day...

The line was friend or "foe", which was typed "faux"!(y)

Deaf people really get screwed!

For the most part repetitive dialog is trimmed.

AnnieJones

Ok,I just got done reading a message from an online Arabic speaking friend of mine,who I recently sent a message to,about this word(I don't know why I didn't think of doing that earlier.Duh,stupid me).
The translation this friend gave me was meshiver which is Arabic for "He is traveling." Or another spelling is mesafier which is Arabic for "Person will travel" or "He will travel."

Meshiver means "He is traveling."
Mesafier means "Person will travel" or "He will travel."
Ana mesafiera (if a girl is talking about herself) means "I'm traveling."
Ana mesafier (if a boy is talking about himself) means "I'm traveling."
Ana means "I'm."
Mesafier means "traveling."

That can't be it.That doesn't make any sense.We can rule that translation out.So obviously the subtitles were wrong on that spelling.

I got some assistance from someone from C.O.W. and the Hebrew word mishivah,also spelled mem shin bet ayin heh,is translated as "of seven" or "from seven."
The Hebrew translation doesn't make much sense either.We can rule that out also.

Mess in Arabic is "foda" or "karkba".So,we can rule out the translation being "mess."
Foda (mess) refers to corrupt or unfair elections.Foda is a formal word and it can be written in Arabic.
Karkba (mess) refers to the need to clean up.Karkba is an informal Arabic word used among friends or people you know very well and it's not acceptable to write.

4. - I think I found it!
Another Arabic word that sounds similar to the word meshiver is the word meshifer which translates as "code." What he was probably saying was "straighten up this meshifer (code)" not "straighten up this meshiver (he is traveling)." He was in an unorganized library and every library has a code that keeps the books organized properly.Meshifer,that's the translation that makes the most sense.

Montana Smith

AnnieJones said:
4. - I think I found it!
Another Arabic word that sounds similar to the word meshiver is the word meshifer which translates as "code." What he was probably saying was "straighten up this meshifer (code)" not "straighten up this meshiver (he is traveling)." He was in an unorganized library and every library has a code that keeps the books organized properly.Meshifer,that's the translation that makes the most sense.

When you wrote 'code' it made me think of Polari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari

In this Polari dictionary the word 'Meshigener' which means 'madness' which would be very apt for "straighten up this madness".

http://www.larkrisewebservices.co.uk/pdict.php?letter=M

Col. Detritch

That?s pretty good, but why would a forty-something, Egyptian museum curator like Terence be using Polari words? Possible though...

What does the novelization read? :hat: