Q&A with Spielberg & Lucas -...& FORD IT TURNS OUT!- at EW.com

torao

Moderator Emeritus
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20192040_2,00.html

Hahahahahahehehehe:
Plus he's got a sidekick to show him up — Shia LaBeouf, who plays a young ''greaser.'' Did he even know what a greaser was?
SPIELBERG: He didn't.
LUCAS: I had to train him. Shia got sent to the American Graffiti school of greaserland. And I became the consultant on his comb.
SPIELBERG: [Looking bemused] That's right.
LUCAS: And Steve would call on me every once in a while. If I wasn't there, he'd call me up and say, ''Look, there's a leather jacket we have in this shot, and we need to know — should it be unsnapped, or snapped?''
SPIELBERG: I remember that stuff too. I remember Ed ''Kooky'' Byrnes [from the TV series 77 Sunset Strip] with his comb..

That's (it's two things, actually) what I like to hear:
You've made Indiana much older in Crystal Skull — the character is nearly 60. And Harrison Ford turned 65 while you were making the film.
LUCAS: There was never any question about the fact that we were going to have Harrison play his age.
SPIELBERG: There's a line that was thematic for me, and it's not a line that's actually in the movie. And it illustrates why I was comfortable letting Harrison age 18, 19 years. In the first movie, he says, ''It's not the years, sweetheart, it's the mileage.'' Well, my whole theme in this movie is, It's not the mileage sweetheart, it's the years. When a guy gets to be that age and he still packs the same punch, and he still runs just as fast and climbs just as high, he's gonna be breathing a little heavier at the end of the set piece. And I felt, Let's have some fun with that. Let's not hide that.

Also: It think the last part about "knowing too much about a film in advance" is very very very interesting. Especially as Lucas and Spielberg represent two perspectives on that. I absolutely agree and love what Spielberg says about knowing scenes from the trailer:
Well, here's my debate on that. I've always been stingy about the scenes I show in a teaser or a trailer. Because my experience has been — and my kids' experience has been, 'cause they talk out loud in theaters, like everybody else does today — that if a scene they remember from the trailer hasn't come on the screen yet, and they're three quarters of the way through the movie, they start talking. ''Oh — I know what's gonna happen! Because there was that one little scene they haven't shown yet in the movie I'm experiencing, and it's coming up!'' And it ruins everything.
So. True.
And the best line is really the last one (if you've seen what comes before it):
SPIELBERG: [Laughs] And by the way, when you run this? There'll be people that believe it!
Hahahahahohohohohooo. The imdb mb headline in question is typed as we speak.

A movie happens in a way that has always been cathartic, the personal, human catharsis of an audience in holy communion with an experience up on the screen.
I love me some words from the Berg's mouth.

While Spielberg has fundamentally inspired my love of film there's also a lot of things about his work that I don't get or like. Often that makes the stuff I not only like but love about his work seem like a miracle. Because as an artist and aesthetically he seems to come from places that seem to be strangely foreign to me. I guess that's the miracle of art, though. Anyway, besides all the little things of his work I don't get I could certainly listen to him talking for days and weeks. He's just got a very inspiring and charismatic personality.

Last edited:

Mike00spy

torao said:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20192040_2,00.html

Hahahahahahehehehe:

That's (it's two things, actually) what I like to hear:

Also: It think the last part about "knowing too much about a film in advance" is very very very interesting. Especially as Lucas and Spielberg represent two perspectives on that. I absolutely agree and love what Spielberg says about knowing scenes from the trailer:

So. True.
And the best line is really the last one (if you've seen what comes before it):
Hahahahahohohohohooo. The imdb mb headline in question is typed as we speak.

I love me some words from the Berg's mouth.

While Spielberg has fundamentally inspired my love of film there's also a lot of things about his work that I don't get or like. Often that makes the stuff I not only like but love about his work seem like a miracle. Because as an artist and aesthetically he seems to come from places that seem to be strangely foreign to me. I guess that's the miracle of art, though. Anyway, besides all the little things of his work I don't get I could certainly listen to him talking for days and weeks. He's just got a very inspiring and charismatic personality.

So that line isn't in the movie. Another foaming at the mouth controversy avoided. Also, I wonder exactly what he means when asked about false information and that he's "already done that."

crowmagnumman

What a great interview. This gives me hope for Indy 4. I loved that part where Spielberg said he almost made the matte backgrounds look like they were painted just to make them look like the old ones. He eventually didn't, but it shows that his heart is still in the right place.

triklops

We have just as many matte-painting shots in this movie as we had in the other movies. The difference is, you won't even be able to tell that there's a brushstroke. For a while, I wanted to make them look bad, so they looked exactly like they did in the other movies.

I would have loved to see that :(

-Jones-

triklops said:
I would have loved to see that :(

Cool down :]. Lucas will probably release 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Old School Matte-Painting Edition"!

|ZiR|

It's funny. I always thought I liked Spielburg more than Lucas, but Steven comes off a bit whiney in that interview. George seems like way more fun, and I agree with his sentiments on spoilers.

Adamwankenobi

|ZiR| said:
It's funny. I always thought I liked Spielburg more than Lucas, but Steven comes off a bit whiney in that interview. George seems like way more fun, and I agree with his sentiments on spoilers.

Yeah, it gives me the impression that Lucas doesn't take things as seriously as Spielberg.

xVendetta17x

There is a God!
I'm so pleased to hear that "It's not the mileage, it's the years" is not in the movie
Steven A. Spielberg, I love you

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Ford:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20192918_2,00.html

I'm only halfway through it but already have problems containing the volume of those shrieking noises (I mean laughter) coming out of my mouth. He just comes across as such a cool guy.
This only makes my dream of a filmed sit down of all three more desirable. I think it would be a riot.

Oh. And thank God for his healthy and honest attitude concerning his hair in the film.

Last edited:
xVendetta17x said:
There is a God!
I'm so pleased to hear that "It's not the mileage, it's the years" is not in the movie
Steven A. Spielberg, I love you

Where the hell does it say it's not? Admittedly, I only skimmed the article. But a control-F didn't turn up any instances of confirming the line is or is not in the film...

...am I missing something?

|ZiR|

EW: Shia says she [Cate Blanchette] was elusive on the set ? that she didn't hang out much, and when she was around, she was mainly in character, as this Soviet agent, Irina Spalko. Which might have been a deliberate psych-out, since she's playing a villainess.

Ford:Two weeks into the movie, I'd only seen her in costume. She showed up one morning [in plain clothes] 'cause she wasn't working till later in the day, and I said, ''Who's that? That's who? Oh, **** ? really?''

That made me laugh more than it should have. This interview is only reaffirming my former conviction that Harrison Ford is indeed the coolest person in the universe.

G-Man

ResidentAlien said:
Where the hell does it say it's not? Admittedly, I only skimmed the article. But a control-F didn't turn up any instances of confirming the line is or is not in the film...

You've made Indiana much older in Crystal Skull ? the character is nearly 60. And Harrison Ford turned 65 while you were making the film.
LUCAS: There was never any question about the fact that we were going to have Harrison play his age.
SPIELBERG: There's a line that was thematic for me, and it's not a line that's actually in the movie. And it illustrates why I was comfortable letting Harrison age 18, 19 years. In the first movie, he says, ''It's not the years, sweetheart, it's the mileage.'' Well, my whole theme in this movie is, It's not the mileage sweetheart, it's the years. When a guy gets to be that age and he still packs the same punch, and he still runs just as fast and climbs just as high, he's gonna be breathing a little heavier at the end of the set piece. And I felt, Let's have some fun with that. Let's not hide that.

G-Man said:
You've made Indiana much older in Crystal Skull ? the character is nearly 60. And Harrison Ford turned 65 while you were making the film.

Haha... it must be all this work and these sleepless nights finally catching up to me. I read that paragraph 10 times looking for just that...

:rolleyes:

Gee, I feel stupid. Thanks.

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:

Yeah, he said it's not a line in the movie. And I'm damn glad of it. They're not as dumb as I thought.

And Lucas seems pretty funny, actually, in that interview. Ford's interview was pretty interesting too.