Indiana Jones Jr et le Violon du Metropolitan - Translation

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Chapter 1

Coup de Theatre Utah, September 1913, A rainy day.

?Junior, pack your bags. We leave for New York. ?
This announcement had the effect of a cold effect of a shower on the young Indiana Jones.

?What! ... But Dad, we?re back at school! "

Professor Jones, still in his dressing gown, swept the objection out of hand.

?I am invited to the inauguration of the south wing of the Metropolitan Museum, "he explained, waving a crumpled letter." Edwards, the curator, wants to thank me for my contribution to it's collection of medieval art. I cannot refuse."

Indy pouted. He had lived a rather hectic summer. In Egypt, he had to face an evil germ by narrowly escaped the bubonic plague. A few weeks later, in Georgia, he had snatched Princess Tamar from the jaws of her many enemies.

Dr. Jones seemed to forget it was a lot for one boy!

Take the opportunity to study an illuminated manuscript of the tenth century to the Pierpont Morgan Library read the letter. A manuscript of the tenth century! ?You realize you, Junior? It has been years that I have awaited the opportunity to decipher.

As if he could not be convinced of this windfall he re-read the famous letter for the twentieth time.

?Who is the Pierpont Morgan?? Indy asked, feigning interest in his father?s project.

?A wise financier?, said Professor solemnly. ?An exceptional man, who was able to use his wealth to preserve some of the greatest treasures of this world, nothing to do with the sharks on Wall Street ?

?But they do not live in a paradise! " emphasised the professor." I predict that one day not so long away, they will suffer a resounding crash and lose everything! Do you hear me? Everything?

Satisfied with this words, Professor Jones sank into his chair glossy, unworthy of even that in the local museum. For several minutes later, the tom-tom of the drops on the windows had been amplified. At three inches from Indy?s nose, his father was waving a piece of paper in frenzy.

In the garden, Indiana barked hopelessly: he had been left outside all the night and they had forgotten to give him his BREAKFAST to him. However, the weather was good.In short, the day began badly. Indy wondered if he was not going through a waking nightmare.

"... But Dad?, the Indy insisted, stunned. ?Usually, you do not want me to go with you. You do not take me that if you cannot do otherwise. So why?

"Why? Why?" raged the professor. "Always questions! Always reproach! I thought that you would be content, Junior. You always want to accompany me??

Again, Henry Jones lost his cool in the presence of his son. Yet he vowed to be patient, to show kindness. But nothing was done: before the inquisitive eyes of Indy, he lost his means. To win, he raised his voice.

He was always so since the death of his wife, Anna, a year earlier. Eyes hidden behind his glasses, Henry Jones looked at the son who was for him the greatest of mysteries. He who was able to decipher old manuscripts of ten centuries, but was unable to understand what was going on in the head of his own son!

"Well, Junior ... um ... um ... it's just that ...", he stammered.

Experiencing a profound embarrassment, the Professor did not finish his sentence. It was Indy's inquisitive glance that stopped him.

"It's just ... What, Dad?"

Henry Jones hung his head.

For a few seconds, nothing was heard in the office other than the din of raindrops and the barking of Indiana.

Gathering all his courage to father, the professor chose to confess: "Well, it's just that. . . I would have liked to see me by your side during your adventure in Georgia. I think you've behaved like a true hero. Meanwhile, I studied a dusty manuscript in Armenia. "

He paused, giving him time to wipe his fogged up glasses.

"Look, Junior, I sometimes wonder if you have no more sense than me. Yes ... um ... more sense."

Flabbergasted, Indy shook to make sure he was not dreaming. Was it his father who addressed him in these terms? He who often regarded with contempt had no interest in reprimanding him?

One that has persisted to call him " unior" a nickname he hated? Is this the same father who was before him?

"But ... Dad, it's just that ..."

"It?s just ... what, Junior?"

"Well, um ... I'm a little tired after all these adventures. Egypt, Georgia, I have not stopped a second! "

The Professor opened his round eyes.

"But you are young, damn it!? he cried. ?Ah, if I was your age, I would have otherwise spend my days with my nose poring over tomes! I ... I ...?

"What would you do, Dad?" interrupted Indy with a touch of insolence in his voice. Unable to answer this question, Henry's Jones drew a pirouette.

"Since you do not want to accompany me I will go alone in New York!" He declaimed in a theatrical tone. Then he turned on his heel and left leaving the kitchen door open where Indiana, who had been stubbornly waiting, claimed his breakfast.

Stoo

Hi, JuniorJones.:hat: Nice to see this thread but I was planning on translating this one after I finished with the "Grimoire Maudit" comic.

The only 2 rare French Young Indy books I have are this one and "Fantôme du Klondike" (which Icybro already translated here). Since I've already started "Violon", would it be possible for you to work on another title? If not, maybe we can collaborate and split the work.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Hi, JuniorJones.:hat: Nice to see this thread but I was planning on translating this one after I finished with the "Grimoire Maudit" comic.

The only 2 rare French Young Indy books I have are this one and "Fantôme du Klondike" (which Icybro already translated here). Since I've already started "Violon", would it be possible for you to work on another title? If not, maybe we can collaborate and split the work.

Great. This is a book I've always wanted to see translated so I am more than happy to step aside.

I've got quite a lot of things outstanding on the Raven, that includes orgainising the translating of La Cazadora de Indiana Jones and El Dorado. (Also, not withstanding animation and comic projects!!)

I'll concentrate on La Cazadora de Indiana Jones as I've, hopefully, got German support on Eldorado. After Cazadora I will do Indiana Jones Jr et la Météorite Sacrée.

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo, once you pull your finger out and do "Violon", I will release the below...but not until yours is done!!

03-1.jpg

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Stoo, once you pull your finger out and do "Violon", I will release the below...but not until yours is done!!
Cor blimey! That's bleedin' BLACKMAIL!:eek:

Nice job on the cover, JJ. You could do the "Violon" cover while I work on the translating the text. (Guess who will finish first?:p)

What is cool about the "Météorite Sacrée" cover is that it gives us a glimpse into one of the unproduced Young Indy episodes (even though it's a different story). Indy goes to Alaska in 1921 and, among other things, learns how to drive a dog-sled team. Because of that, he then decides to adopt a whip as a permanent part of his gear.:whip:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Cor blimey! That's bleedin' BLACKMAIL!:eek:

Once I have Nurachi...

Stoo said:
Nice job on the cover, JJ. You could do the "Violon" cover while I work on the translating the text. (Guess who will finish first?:p)

Me...

smalla.jpg

Last edited:

Icybro

JuniorJones, you are on fire with those covers! Do you prefer "Indiana Jones Jr." to "Young Indiana Jones" in the translated title, though?

Indiana Jones Jr. just seems wrong to me... There's no Indiana Jones Sr., after all. :confused:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Icybro said:
JuniorJones, you are on fire with those covers! Do you prefer "Indiana Jones Jr." to "Young Indiana Jones" in the translated title, though?

Indiana Jones Jr. just seems wrong to me... There's no Indiana Jones Sr., after all. :confused:

Your right but I feel by leaving the Indiana Jones Jr in place it gives a nice nod to the original source.

Archaeos

Interesting that these comics used "junior" in the title, given that YIJ is called 'Les Aventures du jeune Indiana Jones' in French, i.e. "~ young Indiana Jones".

I appreciate the nod to the original source material, but personally, I think for a translated work, using "Young Indiana Jones" would be quite legitimate and bring all English publications/namings in line.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Archaeos said:
Interesting that these comics used "junior" in the title, given that YIJ is called 'Les Aventures du jeune Indiana Jones' in French, i.e. "~ young Indiana Jones".

I appreciate the nod to the original source material, but personally, I think for a translated work, using "Young Indiana Jones" would be quite legitimate and bring all English publications/namings in line.

Again, I think your right and it was just a personal choice of design.

However, it may have been a conscious decision on behalf of the pubishers to have "Indiana Jones Jr" rather than "Jeune Indiana Jones" simply an aesthetic or commerical premies.

Prehaps they wanted Indy to be "Hip"!

Stoo

Icybro said:

Icybro, I agree on not using the 'Indiana Jones Jr.' name. Also, on your "Bermuda Triangle" cover you matched the font of the original and kept the authour's name in black. If JuniorJones feels up to it, maybe he can follow suit.

"Bibliothèque Verte" means "Green Library". It wouldn't really be proper to change the name of the Hachette collection so it's good that you & Junior left it as is.:)
Archaeos said:
Maybe like James Bond Jr. which ran at that time on French television?
There certainly was a rash of "Jr." things around that time. I even recall that there was a "Muppet Babies" show!

Archaeos

Stoo said:
There certainly was a rash of "Jr." things around that time. I even recall that there was a "Muppet Babies" show!

I remember watching the Muppet Babies show, and never understood the logic behind it. I just did not find that babies household thing believable: How come that all these muppet babies stay together for their entire life, and then - when grown up - open that theatre company? I mean, how stagnating and incestouos a characterisation for these clearly clever (grown-up) muppets is that?

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Moedred. Can you merge all the Indiana Jones Jr threads. Ta
Why, JuniorJones? I don't understand why they should all be merged.:confused: The Bantam novels have their own threads, why not these?:confused:

Archaeos

JuniorJones said:
Moedred. Can you merge all the Indiana Jones Jr threads. Ta

Why? Was it me talking about "stagnating and incestouos muppets" earlier on? Did I break the house rules regarding buffoonish muppetry? :p

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Why, JuniorJones? I don't understand why they should all be merged.:confused: The Bantam novels have their own threads, why not these?:confused:[/SIZE}

Why? The evil within told me so!!

Actually, I wasn't very clear what I mean't. I was thinking more of the translating side of the Indiana Jones Jr books rather than the books themselves. I was jumping around from thread to thread for different books it seemed easier to have them in one place.

Maybe a updated sticky for progress.

Arch said:
Why? Was it me talking about "stagnating and incestouos muppets" earlier on? Did I break the house rules regarding buffoonish muppetry?

You made Fozzie cry. Is that not enough?! Waka, Waka.

Last edited:

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Why? The evil within told me so!!

Actually, I wasn't very clear what I mean't. I was thinking more of the translating side of the Indiana Jones Jr books rather than the books themselves. I was jumping around from thread to thread for different books it seemed easier to have them in one place.

Maybe a updated sticky for progress.
Combining the translations into one thread would get confusing if more than one book was worked on at the same time.

That said, I'm currently doing Chapter 2 of "Violon du Metropolitan" but noticed some mistakes & missing bits from your translation of Chapter 1. Before I post Ch. 2, I'd like to re-post #1 with the fixes. Yes? No?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Combining the translations into one thread would get confusing if more than one book was worked on at the same time.

Prehaps a new section?

Stoo said:
That said, I'm currently doing Chapter 2 of "Violon du Metropolitan" but noticed some mistakes & missing bits from your translation of Chapter 1. Before I post Ch. 2, I'd like to re-post #1 with the fixes. Yes? No?

Knock yourself out as I am always in need of a proof reader!! So, yes!(y)