Obscure horror movie picks.

Nurhachi1991

In honor of October I'm watching a different off the wall horror flick everyday and sharing some of my favorites with people.

My recommendation for today is " Dr. Black, Mr. Hyde" (1976)

What does the O'l Raven recommend?

Dr. Gonzo

Doesn't get more obscure than this...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HyophYBP_w4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pale Horse

Staff member
<insert KOTCS joke here...>

The Changeling with George C Scott is a good early Oct. one...mood setter. Not the best in terms of sheer terror, but it'll get you in the right place and prime you for later this month.

Stoo

- "Phantasm" (1979) would be worth your while. There are some sequels but I've never seen them.

- "Beware! The Blob / Son of Blob" (1972) directed by Larry Hagman (!) is a riot, especially the last part of the movie. Watch it with a gang of friends, if you can.

- "Braindead" / "Dead Alive" (1992) directed by Peter Jackson. Not obscure anymore because of his fame but it's a MUST-SEE!!!:whip:

DO NOT watch "The Driller Killer" (1979). Stay far away from that one!:sick:

russds

Wow, i had never heard of troll 2 until this....and um....wow. :)
Dr. Gonzo said:
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HyophYBP_w4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
Oh man, I've actually seen "Frogs". Hahahaha-larious.

To the tune of Jaws...

Ribbet. Ribbet. Ribbet. Ribbet...

Nurhachi said:
How about Killer Condom?

Seen Teeth?

Or The Cars That Ate Paris? That's a really horrific film. So odd that I still haven't seen the end of it.

Nurhachi1991

Teeth was meh.

I have seen Dead Snow before. Let's just say it made me re think the whole concept of a porta potty

How about Cannibal Holocaust (1980) That one was gnarly

Or the Faces of Death series? There not really a movie in the technical sense but classic in their own right

russds

Nurhachi1991 said:
How about Cannibal Holocaust (1980) That one was gnarly

This is actually a very interesting movie. It's regarded as the first "found-footage" film, which was made popular by Blair witch, Cloverfield, Chronicles, etc. It was also surrounded with controversy because it looked so real. The director even had the actors sign agreements they wouldn't appear publicly for 3 years after the film was released to emphasis it's realism. Although they had to break the silence so the director wouldn't go to jail on allegations the film was real, people killed etc. Unfortunately though there is some real animal killing, which I had to skip when I watched it...I couldn't stomach it. The whole movie is pretty....'heavy', so be warned.

Stoo

featofstrength said:
Horror Express
Good one, featofstrength! I dig "Horror Express" very much.:D
Nurchachi1991 said:
Your film choices are too generic Raven... How about Killer Condom? Parent's? Bloody Birthday! Come on guys
Maybe you're barking up the wrong tree, 'Hachi? (The Raven is a magnet for superhero dorks, afterall.:sick:(n))

You mention, "Parents" and that is good. If sh*t is what you want, then go rent "Driller Killer". Try "Witchboard", too. If those don't satisfy your schlock thirst then go back to the early '70s and watch:

"Night of the Lepus" (1972) Killer rabbits! A nice companion to "Frogs" (from the same year) as already mentioned by Smiffy & Gonzo.
"Invasion of the Blood Farmers" (1972) Insanely awful!
"Night of the Bloody Apes" (1972) Check this sh*tpiece out. Made by your Mexican brothers.
"Shriek of the Mutilated / Bigfoot Terror" (1974) You'd probably like this one given your love for Bigfoot.

Then there are these absolute abominations:

"I Spit On Your Grave" (1978)
"I Spit On Your Corpse, I **** On Your Grave" (2001):eek: :eek: :eek:

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

Nurhachi1991

I like you Stoo you have quite the knowledge of 1970s exploitation flicks

Have you ever seen

"Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS" (1975)

I figure the good professor would of been up a creek if he would encountered O'l Illsa :hat:

Montana Smith

Nurhachi1991 said:
Have you ever seen

I figure the good professor would of been up a creek if he would encountered O'l Illsa :hat:

Ohhhhh, yes!

And don't forget:

Ilsa: Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks
Ilsa: The Wicked Warden
Ilsa: Tigress of Siberia

And SS Experiment Love Camp with a scene which would be a good accompaniment to Killer Condom and Teeth:

In an amusing comic twist the commandant decides he wants a new pair of testicles and so removes them from one of the hunky guards. The guard doesn't seem to realise he's been castrated until he goes to bonk one of the French prisoners. This provides one of the most amusing scenes when he confronts the commandant and says "You Bastard. What have you done with my Balls?".

Stoo

Nurhachi1991 said:

Have you ever seen

Yes, I saw that one many, many years ago. A bunch of friends rented it and I don't recall much about the movie but I do remember hating it and have zero interest in the seeing the sequels.

Indy sort of did encounter Ilsa. In the Marvel comics. Toht's sister is named, Ilsa, and I don't think it's a mere coincidence!:)

Some more to consider:
"Basket Case" (1982)
"Frankenhooker" (1990)

(Incidentally, the guy who directed, "Parents", played the translator in, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".)
Nurhachi1991 said:
Or the Faces of Death series? There not really a movie in the technical sense but classic in their own right
I've seen the first 2 and heard that some of the stuff is faked. (Ex. the cult that eats the corpse.)
russds said:
This is actually a very interesting movie. It's regarded as the first "found-footage" film, which was made popular by Blair witch, Cloverfield, Chronicles, etc. It was also surrounded with controversy because it looked so real. The director even had the actors sign agreements they wouldn't appear publicly for 3 years after the film was released to emphasis it's realism. Although they had to break the silence so the director wouldn't go to jail on allegations the film was real, people killed etc. Unfortunately though there is some real animal killing, which I had to skip when I watched it...I couldn't stomach it. The whole movie is pretty....'heavy', so be warned.
"Cannibal Holocaust" has always piqued my curiosity but I'm still on the fence after reading your review!:eek:

:dead: :dead: :dead:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
"Cannibal Holocaust" has always piqued my curiosity but I'm still on the fence after reading your review!:eek:

:dead: :dead: :dead:

I watched it years ago then sold the DVD because I didn't think I'd ever want to watch it again. Wish I'd kept it now, despite the animal klillings.

Saw Jess Franco's Cannibals (aka White Cannibal Queen) recently. Some pretty gory feasting.

Lucio Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters (aka Zombi 2), has the classic zombie vs shark battle:

zombie-flesheaters.jpg

Oh, and The Mountain of the Cannibal God has Ursula Undress tied naked to a pole.

Stoo

Smiffy said:
Ursula Undress
Funny!:D There's nothing like the wit of Montana Smitt.;)
Nurhachi said:
Thanks, 'Hachi.:) My 'slasher/gore flick' days are pretty much over but I've certainly seen a fair amount. That said, they weren't movies I watched alone. Always with friends (and I hope it's the same case with you).

Some more relatively obscure ones from the '70s:

"Eaten Alive" (1977) Directed by Tobe Hooper, the guy who did "Texas Chainshaw Massacre" but not not as well known. Extremely disturbing and nightmare-ish.:eek::eek::eek:

"Bloodsucking Freaks" (1976) This could very well be the most sadistic and DERANGED film I have ever seen!:eek::eek::eek: See it with some buddies because if you get caught watching this alone, they'll think you're a psycho.