The "Creed" of Indy?

Indyologist

Okay, before you all think I've gone off the deep end and am proposing we adhere to a religion called "Indyism," hear me out. We don't really know if Indy is "religious" or not, but I'm sure he has a "code" or "creed" that he lives by, consisting of different rules and codes of conduct. For example, we know he's a good man, a caring man and a "rescueing" type of man. And he never fights dirty. We also know he's somewhat of a rogue, a cad. But we all know he has great redeeming qualities. From what you've read, seen and know about Indy, what "codes of conduct" does he live by? I think if we can put together some kind of "Indy Creed," we'd have some good rules to live by and kinda be able to emulate him, if in some small ways. For example, I'm pretty damn sure he lives by the Boy Scout saying, "be prepared." Heck, he's prepared even when he's um, not prepared. Here's the beginnings of a list of the "Indiana Jones Creed." Or Should it be "Everything I've Learned About Life, I've Learned From Indiana Jones?":

1. Be prepared
2. Rescue those who need rescuing.
3. Know how to show a lady a good time (Okay, that's for the guys)
4. Face your fears.
5. Wear something that makes you feel lucky.
6. Have a good woman by your side.
7. Do your research.

Etc, etc. So go ahead, add to this list. Start with the obvious stuff that all good heroes do. Maybe you even have some good quotes that Indy said himself that reflect what he believes or what he lives by. They may be in the Indy movies or YIJC or in the Indy comics/novels. This may take a little research on your parts. So be a good little archeologist and DIG. When we're all finished here, maybe, just maybe, we'll have some good things to live by...courtesy of Dr. Jones.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indyologist said:
And he never fights dirty.

Sand in the German mechanic's face? Pointing to a spot on the ground to distract him? Shooting the Cairo swordsman? Taking the moment of levity between him and the one guy in the truck chase to throw him out? Not exactly the Marquess of Queensberry Rules there. And that's just the first film.

I figured fighting dirty was one of his things, using every opportunity to best his opponent. And what's the virtue in fighting clean against Nazis anyhow?

Indyologist

Attila the Professor said:
Sand in the German mechanic's face? Pointing to a spot on the ground to distract him? Shooting the Cairo swordsman? Taking the moment of levity between him and the one guy in the truck chase to throw him out? Not exactly the Marquess of Queensberry Rules there. And that's just the first film.

I figured fighting dirty was one of his things, using every opportunity to best his opponent. And what's the virtue in fighting clean against Nazis anyhow?

Ahhh, true, true. Anything to beat your opponents, right? But c'mon guys, more about Indy's RULES OF CONDUCT.

TheFirebird1

As far as codes or "creeds" go, I'd say Indy is pretty flexible, to say the least. Like he states himself, he makes things up as he goes along. I'd say the only strict code he adheres to is trying to do the right thing always, even at personal risk, to achieve a positive outcome. For example, look at the fight with the Thuggee taskmaster in ToD, where he tries saving the guy from what is certain death, or the three trials in TLC, where he risks his head (literally!) to save his estranged father from the brink of death.
So, yeah, as for a maxim, his would simply be "do the right thing".
Of course, the "right thing" is inevitably different from person to person. I don't know if I personally would force a young orphaned boy and a lounge singer to go on a death quest with me into Southeast Asia, but to each his own, right? ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
As far as codes or "creeds" go, I'd say Indy is pretty flexible, to say the least. Like he states himself, he makes things up as he goes along. I'd say the only strict code he adheres to is trying to do the right thing always, even at personal risk, to achieve a positive outcome.

I like this because even your framing of his creed is pretty conditional: trying to do the right thing, "to achieve [whatever he considers] a positive outcome." Putting the Ark in a museum is a positive outcome. Earning some fortune and glory via recovering the Sankara Stones is a positive outcome. Trading away the remains of the first emperor of the Manchu dynasty for a big diamond, even if it was once part of a statue commissioned by Alexander the Great? That's a positive outcome too. (We're not given any reason to think repatriation was on Indy's mind, but maybe it was.)

Indyologist said:
3. Know how to show a lady a good time (Okay, that's for the guys)
6. Have a good woman by your side.

I'll grant we have some reason to think he shows his partners a good time, though, at least on the basis of Elsa's "I'll never forget how wonderful it was," but I'm not sure why the guy's sexual preference gets elevated to the level of a personal creed.

However, in every theatrically released Indy film we've had, his love interest is practically accidental - he needs Marion because he needs the headpiece, Willie comes with him in a fast escape after he uses her as a bargaining chip, Elsa happens to be the contact he's given by the treasonous Donovan, and Marion, again, happened to have been captured by the Soviets.

Might be interesting to hear from anyone who's watched Young Indy in the past decade how consistent these elements of his creed or code of conduct have been over the years we've seen.

axelan

He always seems pretty focused on his objectives. Women, villains, nothing gets in his way. It's actually a good quality to stay focused. And all these other distractions that come up, he always tries to do the right thing saving them whe they get into trouble.

Indiana Jones: I'm allowing you to tag along so why don't you give your mouth a rest, okay doll?
Willie Scott: What do you mean, "tag along"? Ever since you got into my club you haven't been able to take your eyes off me!
Indiana Jones: Oh, yeah? [places his fedora over his eyes and falls asleep]