Way TOO much complaining

TombReader

If 'true fan'='basher',then some of you may be on to something. :whip:

In all fairness,I have to say that extreme gushing or fawning is as annoying to me as the bashing.I don't think that you have to agree with every creative decision that goes into these films in order to be fan,but I do think that the negativity here goes way overboard.

Tired of waiting for Indy 4?You hate George Lucas because he's 'jerked you around for years'?Give me a break.It's not Lucas' fault that you're sitting around waiting for a film,it's yours.Take some responsibility for the fact that you've chosen to spend your time this way and quit blaming someone else for it.

Last edited:

IndyBuff

TombReader said:
In all fairness,I have to say that extreme gushing or fawning is as annoying to me as the bashing.I don't think that you have to agree with every creative decision that goes into these films in order to be fan,but I do think that the negativity here goes way overboard.

Thanks for echoing my thoughts TombReader. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism and disagreeing with some of the decisions that have been made; that doesn't make you any less of a fan. Am I disappointed that we don't have Indy IV done by now? Of course. Do I hate Steven and George for putting it off: Of course not. While I wish that they would hurry and begin work on the film I also realise that they have their own projects and lives to tend to as well. It's fine to voice your complaints and disappointments but I don't think bashing and hateful speech is the way to handle it.

By the way TombReader, I like the name you've given to your location in your profile. U2 rocks.:)

roundshort

Deadlock said:
I love existential questions. :)

What is a "true" fan?

Do "true" fans have to enjoy putting up with YEARS of procrastination and being strung along? Do "true" fans have to anticipate, accept, and be grateful for WHATEVER the creators churn out (even it's total crap)?

If that's the definition of a "true" fan. I think I'll pass.

To me, the "true" fans are those who would be willing to trade their own blood, sweat, and tears to deepen and widen the fan experience. I have great appreciation of those who plumb the depths of existing Indy universe. And I have even greater appreciation for those who've undertaken creative works. They are TRUE fans. To name a few: Joe Brody, Indy Ken, Monkey, Canyon, jase. (I know I'm leaving people out. No offense.)

If the powers that be would show the kind of initiative these fans have taken to bring Indy to life... we'd have had Indy 4 ages ago.

Give me a F'in break, it souonds like the Bad ol' days are here again . . .I guess only true fans are people who share Dead and Pale uber superior that they are all things Indy (hmmm like all of Pale's expert INSIDER EXPERT Indy 4 tall tales nuff said)

Hell, I'd say a kid like Indifan101, who lives here and shares everything (too many things sometimes) are more true fan that every (except Joe Brody who has his $hite together, great fan fiction) dead listed above.

I am with Temple, every year we see the same thing, and every year we get the same thing, it all goes back to an old saying

"Wish in one hand,, and $hite int he other, see what fills up first.

Joe Brody

Last Question in an interview published in the February 2006 issue of 'Men's Journal' between Tom Brokaw and Harrison Ford:

Brokaw: I understand you and Steven Spielberg will start work on another Indiana Jones sequel soon. And I'm told Indiana is going to have a little more gray and be a bit more weathered.

Ford: For sure. It ought to be interesting. [smiles.] It out to net us some good fun.

If anyone has sources, it's gotta be Tom Brokaw (although I'm a Dan Rather man myself).

[I'm embarrassed to say that I read this mag. Made me feel old . . . but then I just got back from the hospital after recovering from the Steelers game this weekend.]

On the 'True Fan' issue -- count me in, but don't jerk me around. I'm no one's tool -- a sentiment shared by the rest of the true discriminating fans here.

[Why the humility Deadlock?]

Last edited:

Deadlock

roundshort said:
Give me a F'in break, it souonds like the Bad ol' days are here again . . .I guess only true fans are people who share Dead and Pale uber superior that they are all things Indy (hmmm like all of Pale's expert INSIDER EXPERT Indy 4 tall tales nuff said)

Hell, I'd say a kid like Indifan101, who lives here and shares everything (too many things sometimes) are more true fan that every (except Joe Brody who has his $hite together, great fan fiction) dead listed above.

Huh? :confused:

I don't know what I've said to warrant the personal rancor, roundshort.

I'm a fan of fan work. As Joe has mentioned, yes, I've done some fan work too. I respect those who work on it. It's not a matter of excluding anybody, it's just that I have a very high regard for those who would spend their time working on something for all of us to enjoy.

San Holo

Joe Brody said:
Last Question in an interview published in the February 2006 issue of 'Men's Journal' between Tom Brokaw and Harrison Ford:

Brokaw: I understand you and Steven Spielberg will start work on another Indiana Jones sequel soon. And I'm told Indiana is going to have a little more gray and be a bit more weathered.

Ford: For sure. It ought to be interesting. [smiles.] It out to net us some good fun.

If anyone has sources, it's gotta be Tom Brokaw (although I'm a Dan Rather man myself).

[I'm embarrassed to say that I read this mag. Made me feel old . . . but then I just got back from the hospital after recovering from the Steelers game this weekend.
Yeah, I felt pretty old too after paying 4 bucks for a magazine that featured articles on joint pain and "adventure proofing your hands" with assorted moisturizers.

roundshort

Deadlock said:
Huh? :confused:

I don't know what I've said to warrant the personal rancor, roundshort.

I'm a fan of fan work. As Joe has mentioned, yes, I've done some fan work too. I respect those who work on it. It's not a matter of excluding anybody, it's just that I have a very high regard for those who would spend their time working on something for all of us to enjoy.

No rancor, just the same old stuff that is always posted here as who is a true fan. the whole thing is old news, lets get a script done, and a film made.

Deadlock

roundshort said:
No rancor, just the same old stuff that is always posted here as who is a true fan.

No rancor?

Then why the harsh language?

roundshort said:
Give me a F'in break

The abrasive tone?

roundshort said:
it souonds like the Bad ol' days are here again

The belittling of significant fan contributers?

roundshort said:
I'd say a kid like Indifan101, who lives here and shares everything (too many things sometimes) are more true fan that every[one] dead listed above.

If hostility is not what you're interested in conveying, I suggest making it more obvious.

roundshort

Hey its like talking with Jay, but he actually makes points instead of just rattlin' the cage. Maybe Fisk will be allowed back, and all the other Raven Award people will come back also.

I still think that after all these years of tail chasing, all of the loyal fans (read all Indy fans whom are waiting to see a new Indy film, nit just "true") have a right to complain and just ask for hte facts, even if it is "I don't Know, but we will keep the fan base informed!" It doesn't help with wanna-bes like pale posting every few months the (fake) news of the shotting of the new movie.

Why do some of the older members always feel the need to be so elitist?

Joe Brody

San Holo said:
Yeah, I felt pretty old too after paying 4 bucks for a magazine that featured articles on joint pain and "adventure proofing your hands" with assorted moisturizers.

Exactly. It's content like that coupled with the Ford & Brokaw adventures-in-retirement that got me.

AARP -- I'm on my way.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Exactly. It's content like that coupled with the Ford & Brokaw adventures-in-retirement that got me.

AARP -- I'm on my way.

hmmm. I can see Indy 4 now, opening scene, Senic Hills Retirement Compound . . .