Koepp Script

The Man said:
It this the script about the missing/dead colleague and the 'spiritual awakening'..?

Nope. It's Hellraiser.

Though the script you're talking of is finished and being revised from time to time.... when I get the time. Which is to say not often.

I'm writing a five-minute short right now very loosely adapted from the ideas of my feature script. That'll go into production at the end of March. I'll be shooting locally on 16mm.

Kingsley

ResidentAlien said:
Nope. It's Hellraiser.

Though the script you're talking of is finished and being revised from time to time.... when I get the time. Which is to say not often.

I'm writing a five-minute short right now very loosely adapted from the ideas of my feature script. That'll go into production at the end of March. I'll be shooting locally on 16mm.
Resident, haven't seen you for a while...

From script to edit, do you like a part of the filming process better, or the process as a whole?

To stay on topic... I can imagine you writing your own version of Indy 4... and though it probably would be very controverted between fans, it surely would turn out far richer, entertaining and juicy than what we got with Koepp ;)

Kingsley said:
Resident, haven't seen you for a while...

From script to edit, do you like a part of the filming process better, or the process as a whole?

To stay on topic... I can imagine you writing your own version of Indy 4... and though it probably would be very controverted between fans, it surely would turn out far richer, entertaining and juicy than what we got with Koepp ;)

Aww shucks. ;)

I wouldn't be interested in writing an Indy story. I wouldn't be opposed to adaptation, but writing a new installment to someone else's story? No thanks.

As for process... I was considering that question last night. Pre-production is a ***** and a bit too organizationally dependent for my tastes. Creative minds are often scattered. The scriptwriting is fun, and probably my second favorite part next to actually getting out there and filming. Filming is such a head-long rush; once you begin it the momentum keeps you pushing through. That's my favorite aspect. Post-production... has elements that I enjoy. Editing is a lot of fun, for instance. But I'm really not interested in spending my life editing. Sure there's a lot of reward in seeing the film take shape before you, but I think there's more adventure in the actual production.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The scene numbers suggest the library scene was moved from the middle to the end of the motorcycle chase. I suppose everything here was shot, since it's dated around the October 11 2007 wrap date... guess I'll have to look closely for Mutt's pirhana bite.

I put it in HTML if you're interested. You're next, Mr. Nathanson...

agentsands77

Moedred said:
The scene numbers suggest the library scene was moved from the middle to the end of the motorcycle chase.
It's clear from reading the script that wasn't the only jumble edit. In a lot of ways, it seems KINGDOM really only came together in the editing room, when Spielberg found himself having to make sense of all this material that he'd shot.

Moedred said:
You're next, Mr. Nathanson...
Do you actually have Nathanson's draft?

emtiem

I can't believe that it doesn't explain the knife gag in the jeep when Mutt throws Indy his knife when they're tied up. He just says 'oh ****!' in the script but it doesn't say why!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
agentsands77 said:
Do you actually have Nathanson's draft?
Nope. And this one was shared by a member of pdfscreenplays.com (which I think closed to new registrants after leaking City of Gods) here.

Cagefighterkip

afgter reading all (i think) of the INDY4 drafts that weren't made, be it SAUCER MEN FROM MARS, MONKEY KING, CITY OF GODS, SONS OF DARKNESS (though wasnt that a fake?), etc etc etc and all the other fake and fan scripts for an Indy 4, I gotta say... "KOTCS" is/was the best one IMO... but i loved Indy 4 beginning to end.

James

Nice find, Moedred.

The omissions make it seem like there was something cut between Indy greeting Mac at Chauchilla, and the Russian campsite in the jungle. I suppose it could've just been details about the plane/steamer map lines, but it still seems like quite a bit of sections for such minor details.

I have a feeling the Chauchilla whip scene presented a pacing issue. After all, what's Indy doing while Mutt and the warrior are exchanging weapons?

Dene

David Koepp did his homework

...whatever your personal thoughts on his final draft, the man was meticulous and my fedora is off to him.

On page 105 of the script, in a sequence cut from the movie, after the duck has first splashed down into the river there is some dialogue about Mutt's fencing skills -- Mutt has the line "Just one more useless experience".

This same verbatim line is ⓒ Harrison Ford in the 1981 documentary 'The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark' when he is being interviewed about the filming of the truck chase.

Coincidence maybe, but I don't think so. IMO Koepp researched his subject big time :cool:.

That's cool! Are there any other scenes or lines that are cut from the movie that were in Koepp's script? Is there also a link to the script? Thanks!

-Indyfan:gun:

Lance Quazar

That's fantastic!

If only he had put that much effort into, you know, making the script not suck, then we'd really have something!

James

I also give Koepp credit for keeping the references to a minimum. Indy and Marion should not remember their exact dialogue from 20 years earlier.