TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
He didn't do nothing or change at all in KotCS.

That's not entirely true (see OldIndy2323's remarks), and definitely not the main reason why KOTCS sucks.

While I agree that it's going to be challenging to find elements of character growth for Indy in his late 60s, it's by no means impossible.
I'm a lot more worried about action scenes, TBH.
A few posters have pointed out that Old Indy could use his smarts and gun more than his fists, but it would have to be done really well for me to find that engaging. I suspect that the temptation to delegate most of the action to a younger sidekick will be too strong for Spielberg/Koepp to resist.

Quote:
I do. 100%.
How about prequels with a younger actor, would you be interested?

Quote:
no one aside from Deadlock even has tried to be open to it.
That was a fun read, thanks for the link.

@Deadlock: hey dude, if you are still around: well done, sir!
How about penning a prequel script?
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #27
Doctor Jones'89
IndyFan

Question

Why do I keep seeing Alden Ehrenreich wearing leather jackets?

https://www.facebook.com/StarWars.UK...2443226134390/

Maybe that's too early to judge (and perhaps it's a mere coincidence) but if he plays Indy in the new reboot I'll stop being a fan. He hasn't got Harrison's cheek - I don't really think anyone has it, but certainly not Ehrenreich.

Thoughts?
Doctor Jones'89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #28
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
That's not entirely true (see OldIndy2323's remarks), and definitely not the main reason why KOTCS sucks.

While I agree that it's going to be challenging to find elements of character growth for Indy in his late 60s, it's by no means impossible.
I'm a lot more worried about action scenes, TBH.
A few posters have pointed out that Old Indy could use his smarts and gun more than his fists, but it would have to be done really well for me to find that engaging. I suspect that the temptation to delegate most of the action to a younger sidekick will be too strong for Spielberg/Koepp to resist.

How about prequels with a younger actor, would you be interested?

That was a fun read, thanks for the link.

@Deadlock: hey dude, if you are still around: well done, sir!
How about penning a prequel script?

Why does he need to have an arc or character growth? His character is wildly inconsistent in the first three movies and the inconsistencies are only bridged by the fans - not the movies themselves. The Indy in Raiders, TOD, and LC is a very different character in each and it's not because of any growth - it's just different writers. This isn't Shakespeare. They're ultimately dumb action movies with a cool hero, and part of the reason that hero is cool is because of who is portraying him.

You don't find gun fights engaging? Look at the Bond films even when Connery was young - it was more car chases and gun battles than it was fist to fist combat. Indy has his whip, his wits, the environment, and his gun at his disposal. Every fight we've seen him get into outside of KOTCS he's gotten pumelled except when he cheated and used some element of what was around him. Maybe Indy's older, wiser, and will cheat more often, fight dirtier, less fists, more wit while still being exciting.

Mutt was given as much as screentime as he was because Shia was Spielberg's boy toy at the time. Spielberg doesn't like to repeat himself; he resisted the idea of Indy having a daughter because it reminded him too much of the Lost World.

I can easily see a female figure, a student, do some action, but bearing in mind that this is 100% Harrison's last, I think Spielberg will want to give Harrison a grand sendoff and his sidekick won't stand in the way.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #29
Raiders112390
IndyFan

What might be a cool thing - IF DONE RIGHT - would be some rudimentary use of 'gadgets' - akin to, but nowhere as sophisticated as - Bond, a nod to the 1960s time period. The student would use them and Indy would show disdain - things just weren't done like that in his day.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #30
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Why does he need to have an arc or character growth? His character is wildly inconsistent in the first three movies and the inconsistencies are only bridged by the fans - not the movies themselves. The Indy in Raiders, TOD, and LC is a very different character in each and it's not because of any growth - it's just different writers. This isn't Shakespeare. They're ultimately dumb action movies with a cool hero, and part of the reason that hero is cool is because of who is portraying him.
You are barking up the wrong tree.
I'm not too hang up on character growth either, and was just replying to someone else's post.
Quote:
You don't find gun fights engaging?
I'm worried about action scenes in general, not just fights.
I can't see Indy in his late 60s do stuff like the opening Raiders scene or the truck chase, and that's the type of action I want to see in a Indiana Jones movie.
Quote:
I think Spielberg will want to give Harrison a grand sendoff and his sidekick won't stand in the way.
There's no getting around the constraints imposed by Ford's age, Spielberg's intentions notwithstanding.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #31
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
You are barking up the wrong tree.
I'm not too hang up on character growth either, and was just replying to someone else's post.

I'm worried about action scenes in general, not just fights.
I can't see Indy in his late 60s do stuff like the opening Raiders scene or the truck chase, and that's the type of action I want to see in a Indiana Jones movie.

There's no getting around the constraints imposed by Ford's age, Spielberg's intentions notwithstanding.

The truck scene would be as mocked today as the fridge scene was in 2008.

You can't see a 60 year old man leap across a gap? Really? Or run?

If they set the movie in the 1970s when Indy is in his 70s I would agree but...If the film is set in 1965 or even 1967 I could see it.

The only one imposing restraints on the action are your own worries. Yeah, he's not going to get dragged by a truck. But he'll still fight, shoot, and whip. You act like the character is going to be 80.

I know we're supposed to hate old people...but I don't. Sorry.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #32
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
The truck scene would be as mocked today as the fridge scene was in 2008.

You can't see a 60 year old man leap across a gap? Really? Or run?

If they set the movie in the 1970s when Indy is in his 70s I would agree but...If the film is set in 1965 or even 1967 I could see it.

The only one imposing restraints on the action are your own worries. Yeah, he's not going to get dragged by a truck. But he'll still fight, shoot, and whip. You act like the character is going to be 80.

Indy will be 70 in the film, as Harrison will be 76 and is usually 6 years older than the character.

Besides, Harrison runs, jumps and punches with ease in the real world so why canít Indy do that in movies?

http://extratv.com/2017/07/23/harris...re-easy-peasy/
Face_Palm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #33
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Now you are sounding like a SJW wannabe...

At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preferences.
You are delighted to watch a near octogenarian actor play a late 60s action hero, great. Good for you.

I'd rather watch a younger actor play Indy in his prime.
Let's just agree to disagree and move on.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #34
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Indy will be 70 in the film, as Harrison will be 76 and is usually 6 years older than the character.

Besides, Harrison runs, jumps and punches with ease in the real world so why canít Indy do that in movies?

http://extratv.com/2017/07/23/harris...re-easy-peasy/

I can guarantee you that Indy V will be set no later than 1967. I am willing to bet money on it.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #35
Pale Horse

Quote:
They're ultimately dumb action movies with a cool hero, .

Thank you for illustrating my point. Today's audiences don't want dumb action movies anymore. If we did, DC movies would be as wildly successful as the MCU, or John Wick.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #36
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
I can guarantee you that Indy V will be set no later than 1967. I am willing to bet money on it.

It will most likely be set in 1969.
Face_Palm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #37
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
It will most likely be set in 1969.

50 bucks says 1967, care to wager?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #38
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Thank you for illustrating my point. Today's audiences don't want dumb action movies anymore. If we did, DC movies would be as wildly successful as the MCU, or John Wick.

DC movies are depressing, preachy and dark, and don't capture the upbeat feel of the source material well, which is why they fail. Marvel's films are dumb, fun action movies and they make money.