What creepy-crawlies should be in Indy 5?

kongisking

Spurlock said:
Well I don't think you intended for me to give any real thought on how you wouldn't use CGI ants, But I did anyway.

Use real ants, at least for the important parts. They proved in ToD that lots of bugs are no problem. Here you could have them outside too, so no worries of an infestation. I understand CGI gives you more freedom and a more thematic control over them, but for close up or mob scenes, real ants could be used (harmless ants of course). I just feel like that would've been the case if KotCS had been made at the same time as the other 3. But yes, animatronic ants is a no-no.

And no hostility detected :p

Great! Then, I shall post my ripost without guilt...

Those bugs in TOD were not required to complexly attack, swarm and devour the people on screen. (That, and CG wasn't around back then, of course. ;) )

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of, "how would you be able to train ants to do stuff like 1) swarm in a perfect circle around two men fighting, 3) create a ladder out of themselves to allow one ant to crawl onto Spalko's legs and then be squished into oblivion, 2) crawl en mass into the open mouth of a screaming Pat Roach substitute, and best of all, 4) carry same Pat Roach substitute across the ground and head-first into an anthill to his certain death?"

My point is that for the scene, CG was going to be required no matter what, so I'm sure Berg thought it was only logical to make 'em all CG to ensure total control over what they did in the scene. This, of course leads to the thought, "Well, then, they shouldn't have bothered at all, if it meant such conspicuous usage of CG." A valid argument, but I'll admit I'm biased against that one, since I happened to really enjoy the ant scene in the film and am glad it was created (I happen to love swarming little creatures that eat people in movies. (y) )

Heck, if I may be so bold, I think the only reason people decry the ant effects in KOTCS is because our brains fundamentally know that the stuff they pull on-screen is not possible to do with actual ants, and so we immediately recognize effects. Nothing to do with their realism; simply our common sense ruining our suspension of disbelief. This is probably the case with any effect used to create a being or event not practical in reality, hence the unfair hate for CGI when it's actually quite useful for that kind of thing.

Spurlock

For one, ant hormones could be used to guide tracks ants to a certain destination. I agree that effects would've been required for a lot of those scenes, just certain ones could've been helped.

As someone really interested in special effects, who has watched many a FX breakdowns, the task of making realistic ants should've been to difficult to accomplish.

I just think the production team wimped out. I mean they used an entire room of living snakes in Raiders, but couldn't pull off a swarm of ants?

I understand that CGI would've been needed no matter what, I'm just saying real ants for parts could've added to the believability of the scene. I too really like the scene, with an homage to the raiders fist fight.

The prairie dogs are still unforgivable. How can you not get a shot of a prairie dog running into a hole? That's all they do.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
For one, ant hormones could be used to guide tracks ants to a certain destination. I agree that effects would've been required for a lot of those scenes, just certain ones could've been helped.

As someone really interested in special effects, who has watched many a FX breakdowns, the task of making realistic ants should've been to difficult to accomplish.

I just think the production team wimped out. I mean they used an entire room of living snakes in Raiders, but couldn't pull off a swarm of ants?

I understand that CGI would've been needed no matter what, I'm just saying real ants for parts could've added to the believability of the scene. I too really like the scene, with an homage to the raiders fist fight.

The prairie dogs are still unforgivable. How can you not get a shot of a prairie dog running into a hole? That's all they do.

That may be true, about them wimping out. But I myself have sort of a "don't make extra work for yourself if there's a more practical option" mindset, so it doesn't bother me too much. Hooray for laziness! :rolleyes:

Spurlock

Well, being lazy sounds good to me.

Who says there needs to be creepy crawlies in Indiana Jones anyway? Not like there is a rule or anything.

Montana Smith

Spurlock said:
Who says there needs to be creepy crawlies in Indiana Jones anyway? Not like there is a rule or anything.

It's an unwritten Indiana Jones tradition.

Spiders, snakes, Gestapo majors, assorted bugs, rats, and ants.

Pale Horse said:
I reinsert my entry of Crabs, here.

Your association with that to Drifter's post is entirely on you.

Your case <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">of</span> for crabs was not forgotten.

104763.jpg

mans-life-1958-01-jan-cover-by-wil-hulsey-8x6.jpg

Or maybe lobsters for variety?

104762_v1.jpg

More suggestions here.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
813689547.gif

They're on the move! Actually this is how we got Africanized bees in 1957, imported queens and drones got loose in São Paulo.

Spurlock

What about scarab beetles, if a return to Egypt were to happen? They could even be related to the plot, if a MacGuffin like this:

wingedscarab.gif

were to be part of the story. Just an idea.They are deep in Egyptian mythology and would fit right in. Maybe even just for the opening action scene, like the tarantulas in the Idol temple.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
What about scarab beetles, if a return to Egypt were to happen? They could even be related to the plot, if a MacGuffin like this:

wingedscarab.gif

were to be part of the story. Just an idea.They are deep in Egyptian mythology and would fit right in. Maybe even just for the opening action scene, like the tarantulas in the Idol temple.

I'd be for this...except KOTCS already featured a creepy crawly that appeared in an installment of the Mummy remake series. Putting these little freaks in the next one would look like a smoking gun as far as "we're out of ideas". I'm not saying that's a fair reason to not have them, but you just know the Internet will jump to that conclusion.

Spurlock

Meh, KOTCS was essentially Secret of the Incas + LC + Aliens, so borrowing isn't that big an issue. And plus The Mummy in essence is an attempt at recreating Indiana Jones, so if there was no IJ, there'd probably be no Mummy. So if IJ wasn't so awesome to spawn copies, it'd have scarabs all by itself. Plus the amount of people who've seen The Mummy isn't nearly as many as IJ. Plus plus, scarabs have appeared many times in Egyptian based movies.

And there are only so many bugs, so what if someone else has those bugs, not like bugs are a one time deal.

I get what you are saying, but if done with a higher dependency to the plot, I feel they'd work.

Z dweller

I'd give both creepy-crawlies and Indy's fear of snakes a miss altogether.

Those recurring themes are getting tired, and after the CGI ants and cringe-inducing quicksand scene in KOTCS there's just no coming back.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
I'd give both creepy-crawlies and Indy's fear of snakes a miss altogether.

Those recurring themes are getting tired, and after the CGI ants and cringe-inducing quicksand scene in KOTCS there's just no coming back.

You're so hung up on KOTCS. Creepy crawlies are as much a part of Indy as anything else. I suggest either sharks (in a homage to Jaws) or centipedes, there are few things more disturbing than them. We've had snakes, spiders, bugs, rats, ants...Imagine dozens of centipedes, moving all about in a dimly lit room all over the walls and floor.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Creepy crawlies are as much a part of Indy as anything else.
They are just a minor detail.

Do you seriously think all future Indy movies, including any prequels, need them?

Raiders112390 said:
I suggest either sharks (in a homage to Jaws)...
If I were a shark, I'd be profoundly offended by that suggestion.

Blood-thirsty monster? Sure!

A creepy-crawly? Nope.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
They are just a minor detail.

Do you seriously think all future Indy movies, including any prequels, need them?

If I were a shark, I'd be profoundly offended by that suggestion.

Blood-thirsty monster? Sure!

A creepy-crawly? Nope.

I think a fifth and final Ford outing shoul keep to the tradition, yes. As far as the post Ford universe? Do what they want.

Sharks aren't a "creepy crawler" in the literal sense of the word but in terms of creatures that either scare people or turn their stomaches they can be. Bats aren't literal creepy crawlies but they were used as that sort of device in Temple of Doom.

Kai Hagen

Although not dangerous, many would find them to be creepy:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qpq0Kdn28GE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here are the scary ones:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w7zWGOGjLxs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another support for giant centipedes.
Those things creep me the hell out (as do spiders but they have already been covered)

Basically anything with too many legs, antennae, and a carapace.

I doubt giant mosquitoes exist (other than in sci fi/horror) otherwise I would have mentioned those as well.

Imagine being assaulted by a giant bug that really wants your blood.

I think the next most iconic and original creepy crawly is marine: jellyfish, whether poisonous or not... piranha. Sea urchins.

When I was a 8 I was running along a jetty and hopped into a hole landing on a rock surrounded by sea urchins. I could reach the other side and scurry up but it had Indiana Jones written all over it.