General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Rivers

POST #5000!!!! WOW!!!

I guess what It boils down to with me is that I dont consider 58 years old as "old"
Watching KOTCS I totlally didnt even notice Harrisons age as the movie progressed. I thought he looked great.

teampunk

indiana jones was always a bit of a cranky old man. so the fact that he actually is a cranky old man, it just kind of works for the character. to me, anyways.

Darth Vile

Rivers said:
I guess what It boils down to with me is that I dont consider 58 years old as "old"
Watching KOTCS I totlally didnt even notice Harrisons age as the movie progressed. I thought he looked great.

Indy's brother said:
I thought that as the the movie (KOTCS) progressed, Ford/Indy came more alive and even appeared younger!
It certainly helps that Indy where's a hat... and I think for the majority of action scenes, if you squint a bit, you can almost imagine Indy is young again... and that is part of the magic that KOTCS brought. i.e. seeing Indy doing his stuff like a day hadn't gone by. :)

teampunk said:
indiana jones was always a bit of a cranky old man. so the fact that he actually is a cranky old man, it just kind of works for the character. to me, anyways.
Whilslt being a cranky old man suits the older Indy character... and there is certianly room for it, I would have never previously described Indy as 'a cranky old man' in Raiders, TOD or TLC.

Henry W Jones

Darth Vile said:
I agree - I think the vast majority of Ford's action scenes in KOTCS are no more ridiculous than in the previous movies (sans the fridge perhaps), but I'm not sure that automatically equates to 'realistic'. I think any sense of 'realism' is hindered by the constraints of Ford's age. Having a 'youngish' Ford throwing punches and diving out of windows is less problematic than an 'oldish' Ford (in terms of willing suspension). I think if we'd seen a much younger Ford in KOTCS, those scenes being discussed would be a lot less problematic in terms of believability.

By the way - I've seen a lot of negative press around 'Cowboys & Aliens' i.e. it's not very good. Not seen it myself yet. Did you enjoy it???

A guy in his thirty's jumping from a plane in a raft is more believable than a guy in his sixties? Seems far-fetched either way to me.

Also, I'm gonna watch Cowboy's and Aliens tonight. The people I have talked to that have seen it thought the effects were cool but it lacked plot. They all say it's just a battle between Cowboy's and Aliens. Obviously they didn't read the movie title.

Henry W Jones

^ Does Mutt being young make the monkey swing scene, or the between the two trucks fencing and taking nut shots from bushes less problematic in terms of believability?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:
^ Does Mutt being young make the monkey swing scene, or the between the two trucks fencing and taking nut shots from bushes less problematic in terms of believability?

Certainly not. But that doesn't, on its own, invalidate the concerns some have about age making things less probable.

Darth Vile

Henry W Jones said:

What Attila said... And it still doesn't negate the likely probability that the movie makers just decided to embrace the ridiculous given the advancing years of their lead. Whilst I still believe TOD is the silliest Indy movie, I think Ford's age was a definite factor in them not going down the serious route for KOTCS.

Henry W Jones

Darth Vile said:
What Attila said... And it still doesn't negate the likely probability that the movie makers just decided to embrace the ridiculous given the advancing years of their lead. Whilst I still believe TOD is the silliest Indy movie, I think Ford's age was a definite factor in them not going down the serious route for KOTCS.

I see your point but I thought Harrison was the main redeeming quality in KOTCS and his age didn't make it one way or another believable for me. Some of the scenes, some of the characters and the over use of CGI did it for me. Not so much Harrison or his age. I think if they wrote a good script he could pull it off.

caats

age wasn't a factor at all for ford in skull. if anything the writer underestimated him. and yeah the warehouse is grade A indiana jones in my book.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
...I thought Harrison was the main redeeming quality in KOTCS and his age didn't make it one way or another believable for me.

Harrison was definitely the best thing about KOTCS. His committment to the character, despite the scale of the action forced upon him by the writers, kept the film from falling into the realms of total absurdity.

Henry W Jones said:
Some of the scenes, some of the characters and the over use of CGI did it for me. Not so much Harrison or his age.

Harrison carried the film in spite of all these setbacks, but as time progresses he will find it more difficult to face the challanges the writers will throw at him next time.

Henry W Jones said:
I think if they wrote a good script he could pull it off.

The script is the key, and that depends on how Lucas and Spielberg feel about the character and direction of their Indiana Jones films. If they try to make a more spectacular version of KOTCS then the Monty Python team will be on hand to tweak the script.

Darth Vile

I personally don't feel there is another great Indy movie with Ford in role... unless the movie properley reflects Ford's age, reduces the amount of action and goes down the 'True Grit', 'The Color of Money', 'Unforgiven' route. But I don't think many Indy fans would want that, nor would the majorioty of movie goers who'd probably expect an action packed, relatively light movie.

The fact that Ford's age is an issue has noting to do with his commitment to the part, or indeed what he is still capable of doing. It's really about how the movie failed to reflect that substantial difference in age/time. You could re-shoot Raiders shot for shot/scene for scene, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be half as believeable purley because of Ford's advancing years.

I think the opportunity to bring back a much older Indy, that has something to say and has more relevance to a more modern audience, went when Lucas/Spielberg decided to make it in the mold of the originals. Because of this, I think any future Indy V has less and less probability of being 'it's own thing'... But that's just my take on things...:)

michael

Darth Vile said:
I personally don't feel there is another great Indy movie with Ford in role... unless the movie properley reflects Ford's age, reduces the amount of action and goes down the 'True Grit', 'The Color of Money', 'Unforgiven' route. But I don't think many Indy fans would want that, nor would the majorioty of movie goers who'd probably expect an action packed, relatively light movie.

The fact that Ford's age is an issue has noting to do with his commitment to the part, or indeed what he is still capable of doing. It's really about how the movie failed to reflect that substantial difference in age/time. You could re-shoot Raiders shot for shot/scene for scene, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be half as believeable purley because of Ford's advancing years.

I think the opportunity to bring back a much older Indy, that has something to say and has more relevance to a more modern audience, went when Lucas/Spielberg decided to make it in the mold of the originals. Because of this, I think any future Indy V has less and less probability of being 'it's own thing'... But that's just my take on things...:)
Very well put, Darth.

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
Harrison was definitely the best thing about KOTCS. His committment to the character, despite the scale of the action forced upon him by the writers, kept the film from falling into the realms of total absurdity.

Harrison carried the film in spite of all these setbacks, but as time progresses he will find it more difficult to face the challanges the writers will throw at him next time.

The script is the key, and that depends on how Lucas and Spielberg feel about the character and direction of their Indiana Jones films. If they try to make a more spectacular version of KOTCS then the Monty Python team will be on hand to tweak the script.

I just saw Harrison in Cowboys and Aliens and he could pull it off if done soon. I am aware if they wait 10-20 years, maybe less, he won't be able to pull it off, but if done soon it's possible. If soon and back to back we could get two. Regarding his age to me, "If Harrison can physically do it then it is believable to me". Indy is already highly exaggerated and as long as they stay away from stuff like Mutt swinging in trees and fake looking Jungle Chase scenes with people fencing while taking it to the sack by bushes, cut back on silliness and go back to more feasible, believe stunts. Right now Harrison's age isn't the problem. It was the script writers and the creators of KOTCS fault for not seeing what was going on and the directors fault since he has creative control as well.

Darth Vile

Henry W Jones said:
I just saw Harrison in Cowboys and Aliens and he could pull it off if done soon. I am aware if they wait 10-20 years, maybe less, he won't be able to pull it off, but if done soon it's possible. If soon and back to back we could get two. Regarding his age to me, "If Harrison can physically do it then it is believable to me". Indy is already highly exaggerated and as long as they stay away from stuff like Mutt swinging in trees and fake looking Jungle Chase scenes with people fencing while taking it to the sack by bushes, cut back on silliness and go back to more feasible, believe stunts. Right now Harrison's age isn't the problem. It was the script writers and the creators of KOTCS fault for not seeing what was going on and the directors fault since he has creative control as well.

You mentioned that the movies are ?highly exaggerated?, and that is key when you are talking about a heightened sense of reality in a movie. We can believe (just about) that a beefed up Christopher Reeve (or Henry Cavill) could be Superman within that fictional world. But introduce a seventy year old Clint Eastwood wearing skintight spandex, flying around Metropolis and it suddenly sounds far more ridiculous an idea?. unless the story is unreservedly about how things have changed for a much older character e.g. ?Fast Eddie? Nelson in The Color of Money.

I personally believe that the KOTCS script (like it or loathe it) was as a result of them not being able to? 1) square off the idea that they should be taking the movie in a new direction i.e. the introduction of aliens. 2) Dealing with (or not dealing with) Harrison Ford?s age and the natural consequence that has on an older returning character.

Of course there?s still a great Indy movie to be had with Ford in role? but, IMHO, not one with him jumping out of aircraft and swinging from rafters/trees? and that?s what they can?t square off i.e. that progression in character and the natural consequences for a predominantly action character.

Exclusive Interview: John Rhys Davies Talks War of Resistance, Indy 5 + Returning to The Hobbit?

HeyUGuys: I know you must get asked this all the time but I have to ask you about Indiana Jones​. You weren’t in Indy 4, did they ask you to be in it and is there any chance we may see you in Indy 5 if there is one?

JRD: (Laughs) If I’m asked, I will consider! They did ask me to do a little cameo on Indy 4 actually. It was going to be shot a green screen studio. I was going to sit down and then it would cut it into the wedding or something like Indy getting an award or something like that. I thought the character of Sallah is worth more to the audience than that.

HeyUGuys: I completely agree. Every scene we see you in are some of my favourite scenes. Scenes like the one with you punching a Nazi through the newspaper while rushing Martin Brody off into the van and watching him drive off with the Nazi logo on the back are priceless moments!

JRD: Yes they are and he’s a great character, but times have changed you see. The Egyptian with the golden heart, warm and generous and outgoing; the image of the Arab world and ‘The Arab’ has changed in America since 911. Perhaps it’s not possible to have a Sallah again.

Watching Steven grow and change as an artist has been fascinating. There is an innocence and a light-heartedness that is born basically of lack of understanding of history that continues up to Raiders of the Lost Ark. But when you get to other deeper things like Shoah, and Schindlers List​, his deep experience of Nazism, the nature of evil, and his own understanding and knowledge deepens. As a result, his ability to laugh at the Nazis fades. Nazi’s can’t be comic for him anymore, he knows too much now; he has lost his innocence.