Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Johnny Nys

Thanks, that's good news. Co-op could be fun if it's done right. Makes a nice addition to a basically single player format. I wonder how "long" that part of the game will be, since it's actually a side quest and not part of the main game.

Is anyone familiar with the co-op modes of the "Obscure" games? Sure, they're survival horror instead of action adventure, but that type of gameplay might be usable for an Indy adventure.

Morning Bell

I'm excited about the idea of co-op. It worked well in LEGO Indy and hopefully those kinds of puzzles and exploration will make their way into the new game.

Lambonius

Johnny Nys said:
Is anyone familiar with the co-op modes of the "Obscure" games? Sure, they're survival horror instead of action adventure, but that type of gameplay might be usable for an Indy adventure.

The coop gameplay of the Obscure games had lots of potential, but the fun factor was almost completely drained due to some utterly asinine game design decisions (non-existent health items and save points spaced WAY WAY WAY too far apart.) I don't think I've ever been more frustrated when playing a video game as I was when I rented Obscure. Ugh.

dr.jones1986

The Tingler said:
Aha, thanks.

Wait...

Okay, so I understand not having the swastika, but not even being able to call them 'Nazis'?! Indiana Jones has been fighting Nazis since before I was born! Not just in films, but in most of the videogames too! Forget the satchel, I've got a new witch hunt.

Oh, they've got a video too! Yay!

There people with political differences ( yes i stole that from south park...the episode that spoofs raiders which is awsome by the way)

Nurhachi1991

They can't even call them Nazis?............................

Ok I officially give up **** this game and **** family friendly

Indy got bent over and screwed this just ain't right

Instead of going after the staff of kings why doesn't Indy go after a giant plush teddy bear that farts out sunshine and smiles.

Johnny Nys

Nice review, but basically the same thing again. Even the video is the same one.

I don't think there's much new to learn about this game, other than from personal experience. In the end, it always comes down to whether YOU like or not. I'm not "high maintenance", so to speak; I appreciate what I can get (it's not like I could develop a better product myself) so I don't think I'll go wrong buying this game.

My only worry is whether the controls using the PS2 aren't that confusing, that the combat moments don't turn into a chaotic mess because of that, so you can enjoy all the elements of the game and don't miss out on anything by concentrating too hard on which button to push at which exact moment. That's the first thing that bothered me when I read about the environment interaction.

I understand if people don't like it, but I don't mind about the Nazis. Even if the game itself doesn't call them Nazis or shows swastika's, it's still obvious to me they ARE Nazis, so that certainly won't stop ME from calling THEM Nazis.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
On paper, it's hard not to roll your eyes at Staff of Kings, with its focus on Wii's notoriously unreliable motion controls for every major interaction ? whether that's whip-cracking, fist-fighting or even puzzle-solving. However, on evidence, the game's something of a rarity ? being a third-party offering that successfully integrates motion controls as a core component in a way that actually adds to the overall experience.

If you ask me, it's the above that really tells me something about the quality of the experience. The gimmicky made otherwise? I'm willing to be impressed by that.

Have we had any indication of any sort of multiplayer element other than the two-player co-op? Because that would be one clear reason why not to call them Nazis.

Also, I wonder if the laws in Germany have become more stringently enforced as time has worn on. That'd be another good reason to not refer to Nazis. Remember this: anything that hurts sales for what is primarily a cosmetic reason - which is to say, anything that seals off the German gaming market - only hurts us. This is a concession I'm willing to have made.

The Tingler

While censorship laws in Germany against violence have probably been ramped up, against Nazism it's the same as it's always been - none. No Swastikas, no Hitler, no SS, no Nazis. If this were an adventure game the German market would make a huge difference - a normal action/adventure, no. I can get the Iron Cross, but to not even call them 'Nazis'? They have to change the voices into German anyway, so why not change the names then? They've made changes for that market many times, why hurt the other markets by keeping them the same now?

I suspect Fate of Atlantis will be similarly butchered.

Have we had any indication of any sort of multiplayer element other than the two-player co-op? Because that would be one clear reason why not to call them Nazis.

I'm... not quite sure what you mean there. To answer your question though: yes, there is multiplayer other than co-op. There's a biplane battle and a tank battle (although whether that one will be attacking each other IN tanks or ON the tank as previously indicated, I don't know!).

I'm honestly not sure of the argument against calling them Nazis. Political correctness? Are you worried we're going to be offending Nazis? Because that wouldn't do.

Offending Germany? I always thought Germany was lucky. When we think of the atrocities of WW2 and the enemies to shoot in war movies or games like Call of Duty (or indeed Indy) we think Nazis and not Germans. This has allowed us to mentally and culturally disassociate the two, and when we look at all the terrible things that happened in the war we don't blame the Germans. Compare this to the Chinese, who still bitterly hate the Japanese for what they did in the war. Apart from in football us English don't hate the Germans at all anymore.

Johnny Nys

I've read a bit about this. It's partly because of German criminal law. It's illegal to display Nazi propaganda outside of historical context. But that doesn't mean they want to deny their existence. After all, denial of the Holocaust is a criminal offense as well. So I guess they're now seeing the name itself as a symbol as well.

http://www.iuscomp.org/gla/statutes/StGB.htm#86

So I guess they want to make that a global restriction. The alternatives are releasing a game WITH the Nazis, then having it banned in Germany and getting a bunch of peed off German fans, or develop TWO versions of the game.

Last edited:

The Tingler

That is what they normally do, and honestly I don't think they're too worried about the German market. German criminal law hasn't changed, but I honestly don't know what has.

Still, now that both Ghostbusters and Batman: Arkham Asylum are gone, this is the only game I'm really looking forward to next month.

Johnny Nys

Perhaps Spielberg's own reservations for using Nazis in this kind of role again, especially regarding the Indiana Jones character, has rubbed off on the entirety of LucasArts? Perhaps it is simply a mentality change of some higher execs. Whatever the reason, I don't think further contemplation will lead to anything else but ulcers and heart attacks. I have a feeling that when I'm playing the game, I won't even notice the absence of either symbols or name-calling, just the way I didn't with the Lego game.

OhioJones

Nurhachi1991 said:
They can't even call them Nazis?............................

Ok I officially give up **** this game and **** family friendly

Indy got bent over and screwed this just ain't right

Instead of going after the staff of kings why doesn't Indy go after a giant plush teddy bear that farts out sunshine and smiles.

I think you have problems.

Sure it's lamely PC, but it doesn't make or break the game. Its not like the key to a successful Indy game is the word "Nazis." If they made the worst Indy game in the world, but called the villains "Nazis," it would still be the worst Indy game in the world. Furthermore, if they made the best Indy game in the world, but didn't call the villains "Nazis," it would still be the best Indy game in the world.

But whatever.

dr.jones1986

The Tingler said:
While censorship laws in Germany against violence have probably been ramped up, against Nazism it's the same as it's always been - none. No Swastikas, no Hitler, no SS, no Nazis. If this were an adventure game the German market would make a huge difference - a normal action/adventure, no. I can get the Iron Cross, but to not even call them 'Nazis'? They have to change the voices into German anyway, so why not change the names then? They've made changes for that market many times, why hurt the other markets by keeping them the same now?

I suspect Fate of Atlantis will be similarly butchered.

I'm... not quite sure what you mean there. To answer your question though: yes, there is multiplayer other than co-op. There's a biplane battle and a tank battle (although whether that one will be attacking each other IN tanks or ON the tank as previously indicated, I don't know!).

I'm honestly not sure of the argument against calling them Nazis. Political correctness? Are you worried we're going to be offending Nazis? Because that wouldn't do.

Offending Germany? I always thought Germany was lucky. When we think of the atrocities of WW2 and the enemies to shoot in war movies or games like Call of Duty (or indeed Indy) we think Nazis and not Germans. This has allowed us to mentally and culturally disassociate the two, and when we look at all the terrible things that happened in the war we don't blame the Germans. Compare this to the Chinese, who still bitterly hate the Japanese for what they did in the war. Apart from in football us English don't hate the Germans at all anymore.

The PC argument is asinine and makes no sense, not to call them nazis or display a swastika. I can understand that stuff being banned in germany after the war, that makes sense. Most WW2 themed games are altered for the german market to cut out nazi stuff, but to ban it in other markets without laws against it is stupid. In fact this overly PC garbage is actually anti american.

What is the worry, we are going to see Nazis and swastikas and want to join the neo nazi movement?

If they didn't want to use the word Nazi( they have gotten a bit hackneyed as Indys enemy anyway) than they should have just not used a German antagonist from the WW2 era. Heck they should have made Lao Che the bad guy, or set it during the Cold War or something. Watch the "free hat" episode of south park, its not that far off from what they do now days with this PC junk.

Last edited:

The Tingler

If they didn't want to use the word Nazi( they have gotten a bit hackneyed as Indys enemy anyway) than they should have just not used a German antagonist from the WW2 era.

That is absolutely my feeling on the matter. Part of the reason I love Indiana Jones is that has a genuine connection with historical events and real artifacts. If they don't want to use the Nazis, they should use someone else, not Generic Evil Soldier Types. If Indy stops fighting the Nazis, then the armies of darkness will walk all over the face of the Earth. Do you understand me?

boba80

my 2 cents..as far as I remember (and I may be wrong) even in Fate of Atlantis they were never called "Nazis" (there was just a reference to the Third Reich when Indy finds Kerner's passport). And their uniforms were somehow TURQOISE....and I can't even remember seeing any swastika around.
I don't think this is so important, you know who Indy is fighting as you knew back in 1992. I'll be more worried with actual gameplay.

indyjones2131

My thoughts on the videos:

1.) There is no satchel.

2.) Satchel. (jk) Uh, graphics aren't as bad as I'd feared. Given the quality of the video, it'll look even better in person.

3.) I'm concerned about the limited number of moves - just hope i doesn't get too repetitive.

4.) Love how Indy grabs the water pipe over head and it even breaks. Nice!

5.) In fact, nice details all around.

6.) Love how they captured the character of Indy. Animations are excellent.

7.) Music!

8.) I hope there aren't too many push/pull blocks puzzles.

9.) I like how they really constantly give you motivation and context to move forward through the levels. This (and Indy's body language) bodes well for the story quality.