The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

TheMutt92

The last (though incomplete) performance of the late Heath Ledger can be seen later this year in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, set to be released this fall. Also starring alongside Ledger is Christopher Plummer and Verne Troyer, w/ Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farell taking over Ledger's role.

First images of Ledger and several other characters revealed here: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=12320

Goonie

I looked at those photos and the first thing that popped into my head was a cross between Gilliam's Baron Munchausen and Brother's Grimm.

muttjones

this looks awesome but terry gilliam is a nutcase. just watch any behind the scenes stuff of his movies.

|ZiR|

They should release this in a triple bill with Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporian, and The Contrabulous Fantrapulations of Dr. Horatio Hufnagel.

(On a more serious note, this sounds extremely interesting. To date there hasn't been a Gilliam film I haven't enjoyed. Bros. Grimm is underrated.)

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I think there was some weird thing resembling a trailer a couple of months ago. It was horribly cut together but the footage itself looked all sorts of beautiful and awesome.

roundshort

I was lucky enough to hear TG speak about his failed Man of La Mancha project (also with Depp). The dude is awesome! A fan of most of his stuff, esp. Time Bandits and the totally underrated 12 Monkies.

This should be at least, fun to watch

TheMutt92

It has been seen!

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/05/the-imaginarium.html

A little bit of the Cannes Film Festival came to Los Angeles Tuesday night when U.S. sales rep Cinetic Media hosted the first domestic screening of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Terry Gilliam's highly anticipated movie featuring the last performance of Heath Ledger. (The film is scheduled to have its world premiere at Cannes later this month.) All of the major independent buyers in town packed Hollywood's DGA theater for the screening, and while most left feeling a bit befuddled (as one often does coming out of a Gilliam feature) the consensus was that the movie is better than expected.

Although Ledger died during production on Parnassus and was replaced by three actors -- Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell -- one source in attendance says that the late Oscar winner indeed appears throughout the film as Tony, a crooked philanthropist. His three replacements, meanwhile, only pop up in dream sequences. (Farrell's sequence is the longest, says one person who attended the screening.) The two-hour film apparently features amazing visuals, but the storyline is rather complex, centering on Christopher Plummer as Dr. Parnassus, a man who runs a traveling sideshow with his daughter, a young barker, and a sidekick, played by Verne Troyer. Tom Waits plays the Devil, with whom Parnassus makes a Faustian bargain, and Ledger's character joins the troupe after they find him hanging from his neck under a London bridge.

Dr.Jonesy

New 'Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus' Trailer

Watch it here!

http://www.filmstar.se/sv/162897/ovrigt/2009-08-07/the-imaginarium-of- doctor-parnassus-trailer/

To me, I've been looking forward to this since December 2007 and was so saddened when production was shut down when Heath Ledger died, but it looks bloody brilliant!!

Terry Gilliam seems to have done it! I can't wait for this, it looks really fantastic.

Opens September 25th in Canada and Australia, October 18th in the UK, and December 25th in the US.

Tell me what you think.

Le Saboteur

There was an interesting article in last months Vanity Fair regarding this; i.e., it's the last performance Heath Ledger put on film. And while he completed the 'real world' segment, Gilliam turned to Depp, Law, and Farrell to complete everything that takes place through the looking glass.

You can read Peter Biskind's article on-line here. There's lots of quotes and discussion with the creative forces behind Dr. Parnassus.

Trailer actually looks nice! Very well done. Great costumes, story sounds intriguing, and nice effects: I'll be there once it comes out. Hopefully they'll have the wisdom to refrain from advertising it as "Heath Ledger's Final Performance!"

I'm still hoping that The Man Who Killed Don Quixote makes it to the big screen. Lost in La Mancha was too much of a tease.

Goonie

At the first sight of Verne Troyer on set, Colin Farrell exclaimed "What are they doing over there? They're filming something. They're filming midgets!";)

Looks like a good movie. It's Time Bandits, Baron Munchausen, and Brothers Grimm all rolled into one.

DocWhiskey

It looks good, but Terry Gilliam does tend to disappoint, in my opinion. And Fear and Loathing is one of my favorite films, so it's not like I dislike the guy either. He's just very hit or miss.

But myself, probably as well as many others, will see this just for Ledger's final performance.

deckard24

DocWhiskey said:
It looks good, but Terry Gilliam does tend to disappoint, in my opinion. And Fear and Loathing is one of my favorite films, so it's not like I dislike the guy either. He's just very hit or miss.

But myself, probably as well as many others, will see this just for Ledger's final performance.
He is very hit or miss, but when he's on, we get films like 12 Monkeys!

I though Tideland was pretty disappointing, but this I'm looking forward to. Not to mention, it has Tom Waits in it! That's enough for me.(y)

Dr. Gonzo

I was just watching some Gilliam films a week ago. Among them Brazil, The Fisher King and (even though he didn't direct it) Lost in La Mancha. Some times Terry just can't get a break. But I do agree with what was said by those of you who said he is very "hit and miss". There are a select few that I really enjoy, while others I just can't stomach.
*EDIT
I forgot to mention that I will be going to the cinema to see this picture though. Even if Heath was not in this film, I would still see it in theaters.

deckard24

MaverickKing said:
You don't like Tideland? Damn, I thought it was inspired.
Sure it had its moments, but overall I'm not a fan. It just isn't one of his best, not in a long shot, especially when you stack it up next to Time Bandits, Brazil, and 12 Monkeys.