Who is archaeologist ?

deckard24

Any Ravenites actual archaeologists?

I'm curious if any of the Raven's patrons are real life archaeology or anthropology majors. There appears to be some fairly intelligent scholarly types here, with some great knowledge of world history, cultures, and ancient civilizations. If so what was your experience in school, and what do you do now for a living? Any exciting digs you've been on, or museum work? How about teaching, are there any professors among you out there?

deckard24

How about History majors, I'm sure there's a few out there? Even if most Ravenites are armchair archaeologists, it's impressive to see the amount of knowledge that some possess regarding the history of the world and all who inhabit it.
Attila the Professor, Gustav, and Aaron H, I'm curious if you three read a lot of books pertaining to archaeology and history or is your info gleaned from documentaries mostly? Mine is a combination of the two, but I'd love to read more if I had the time.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, I guess I'll clarify: I'm a political science major and a minor in both religion and philosophy. History, then, is of course clearly on the fringes of all of these. I've picked up a lot from a couple of great history professors back in high school, to be honest, as well as stuff I became interested in over the years as an Indy fan and as a fan of Jules Verne and just stuff about the world generally. I find it hard to determine where I get a lot of knowledge though - I attribute a lot of it to cultural osmosis.

I will throw out the title of one great history book I've read though that stands out, From Dawn To Decadence by Jacques Barzun. It's a history with a cultural emphasis of modern period, 1500 onward, and is very readable, with lots of quotes in sidebars and great digressions into the lives of fascinating figures or of a recurring feature along the lines of "The View from Paris in 1890".

deckard24

Attila, I've never read that one but I'll look into it if you highly recommend it. If you are a poli-sci major, I guess it's safe to assume you've read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. That was definitely an eye opening book. Considering philosophy, are you a Joseph Campbell fan?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
deckard24 said:
Attila, I've never read that one but I'll look into it if you highly recommend it. If you are a poli-sci major, I guess it's safe to assume you've read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. That was definitely an eye opening book. Considering philosophy, are you a Joseph Campbell fan?

I haven't, although I I've picked up a decent amount of social history that probably appears in it. In all honesty, I'm more of a political theory (and potentially international relations) guy than domestic. I can't say I am a Campbell fan, but I wouldn't say I'm definitively not a fan either - my sense of Campbell is that he's more of a comparative literature and comparative religion scholar than anything else. I find his ideas interesting, from what I know of them, but make no mistake, that's very little.