Video Games

Finn

Staff member
Of course, Xbox (version 1) isn't exactly expensive at the moment so buying one for the wait of version 2 shouldn't be too big investment.

But I'm more a PC man personally, though.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
XBOX is downright cheap, $149.99 USD. Its also a fairly powerful computer running Windows 2000...modified to be an XBOX OS, however.
I hear about guys who mod their XBOX to be their a regular computer for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Indyologist

Deadlock said:
Just remember, exploring and figuring the game out for yourself is AT LEAST half the fun of an RPG. Don't ruin it for yourself!

Yeah, I know Dead. I try really, really hard not to look at strategy books. I only look when I'm completely stumped. I have the strategy guide for Emperor's Tomb and I admit that I ended up looking at it 50% of the time. Everything else I was able to figure out on my own. Sometimes games don't give you the best hints as to do certain things, so for me having a strategy guide is essential. I really HATE getting stuck. If the game is not moving forward, it makes me ticked raw.

Indyologist

So what's the highest score any of you have ever gotten in a video game? What game was it?

I don't think I've ever gotten a million points in anything, but I have gotten into the 6-figure range-- probably in "Burger Time" and "Dig Dug."

----------------------

On another note, is anyone planning to get Xbox II when it comes out? I heard it's $800 or so! Anybody here willing to put down that kind of cash or are you going to wait until the price goes down?

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
A suicide.

<small>Just kidding. ;)</small>

Buy it anyway, or wait until BTX, Windows Longhorn, PCI-Express and 64-bit processors are released.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
VP, PCI-Ex and AMD 64's are now widely available.
Windows XP 64-bit Edition is to be released 1st Q '05 (Feburary was the last date I heard).
Windows Longhorn is going to be anther two years. (3rd or 4th Q 2006...at the best)
BTX is almost a reality, it just costs too much right now.:)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Well I'll save my money. I have a good-enough computer now. And back on topic.... PoP 5: Warrior Within is coming for Xmas!

Zharah

Haha, if you want some real-life Prince of Persia, come to my old neighborhood. No joke.

Oh, by the way, VP... not many of us play videogames, so be nice.

Finn

Staff member
Then again, this is a thread for game gearheads so one really can't expect other types following it that closely... (but still, we better behave).

Another factor that fascinates me in video games is <i>story</i>. Some players find themselves annoyed every time a gaming secquence is cut short by a cutscene, but I'm one of them who enjoys 'em.

And this gets us to the next listing section... most of the games nowadays contain some kind of backround story to explain the action, but there are some real pieces that make you sometimes feel that you're actually following a movie, not playing a video game. And thus I have to ask, what are the most memorable story-driven gaming experiences you've had?

I'll have to mention at least (not in any particular order):

FoA
Max Payne 1 & 2
Mafia
SW: KoToR

And by the way, for those looking for a good gaming experience in general as well, these are not bad choices either. I recommend.

Finn

Staff member
<small>Don't quite agree on CoD, the storyline moved on the backround, yes, but was more just used to explain the action, not walk hand-to-hand with it... but these are matters of opinion, like most of things.</small>

X-Wing Alliance?

Yup. Still the best SW flight sim up to date.

Last edited:

Indyologist

Guys (and gals) when you first mention an acronym for a game (eg- PoP), could you please define what the acronym stands for so that when you abbreviate the name of the game afterwards we'll know what game you're referring to? You only have to tell us what it means ONCE, then you can abbreviate the name of the game when you refer to it thereafter. Thanks.

VP said:

VP, be nice, m'kay? Not all of us know what these abbreviations mean. BTW (you ALL know what THAT means, right?), I have Prince of Persia for Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Super NES), but I've never gone through it all the way.

Finn said:
Another factor that fascinates me in video games is <i>story</i>. Some players find themselves annoyed every time a gaming secquence is cut short by a cutscene, but I'm one of them who enjoys 'em.

I completely agree, Finn. I LOVE a good cutscene. I like the idea of feeling like I'm playing a movie, and I love a good video game story. I mean, sure there's time where you just want to blast the living daylights out of everything in a game, but that's more of an arcade-style setup. I enjoy those, too. But there are times when you want MORE from a game than just a straight shoot-'em-up. You want to feel like you're intimately involved in some great story that you play a key part in. When you finally get a game like that done, it's really satisfying. I personally love the cutscenes in Emperor's Tomb. As a matter of fact, I think the future of gaming will actually BE playing a character IN A MOVIE. Think of the "holodeck" in the Star Trek: Next Generation TV series and that's exactly what I think it'll look like. Heck, one day we'll be able to actually walk into a virtual, 3-D "Raven" and be Indiana Jones, playing out the scene with Marion, Toht and his baddies! There could even be alternate endings. I think people (really RICH people at first) will have a "holoroom" in their house that will do all this. To me, that would be the ULTIMATE.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
It's not holodeck, it's halludeck :p.

We already talked about Prince of Persia 4 pages ago.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Cutscenes are the best part of any game. Armed and Dangerous would have been a terrible game if it wasn't for the cut scenes.
Fable has a great storyline with some beautiful cutscenes.