Wet or Dry Counties

Abe Vayoda

Just curious how everyone here feels about wet or dry counties. Whether you feel a Dry County is an outdated antiquated oddity or not. The town I live in has been debating this for the past five years. Each time someone tries to put it to vote some politician overturns it. Their usual arguement has been that it was put to vote in 1978 and that the people decided then that they did not want alcohol in this town. I hadn't even been conceived back then!
The main proponent to the ban has been a minister in a small church on the outskirts of town. They're a small but vocal group, it doesn't help that they have the support of both our local TV news and newspaper.

So how do you feel about wet or dry? In which do you live?

roundshort

Abe Vayoda said:
Just curious how everyone here feels about wet or dry counties. Whether you feel a Dry County is an outdated antiquated oddity or not. The town I live in has been debating this for the past five years. Each time someone tries to put it to vote some politician overturns it. Their usual arguement has been that it was put to vote in 1978 and that the people decided then that they did not want alcohol in this town. I hadn't even been conceived back then!
The main proponent to the ban has been a minister in a small church on the outskirts of town. They're a small but vocal group, it doesn't help that they have the support of both our local TV news and newspaper.

So how do you feel about wet or dry? In which do you live?

All dry counties need to stop, and Alcohol sales in the US shoudl be made open to everyone everywhere. People find it funny that Jack Daniels Whiskey is made in a dry county, you can not even buy JD in Lynchberg! I live in a wet county (state) thank god! Blame the puritan goverment and stupid laws!

Joe Brody

One of the things I love about Pennsylvania is that the State sells liqour in these antiseptic outlets call State Stores.

As a kids in the '70's there was nothing that I loved better than going with my mom to visit the State Store. Typically found in the better strip malls, State Stores had wide open plate glass windows. The state just sold the stuff and didn't allow any promotional posters to be hung. Inside the floors were clean and buffed to a high shine. On spartan shelves was row after row of beautiful bottles. Since the State collected a good tax the State Liquour Control Board that ran the stores could afford to keep the air conditioning up high-high. As a kid I remembered good air-conditioning in three places during hot summers: the Bank, the Doctor's office and the State Store. The guy behind the counter wore a white shirt, a tie and had a crew-cut -- in the '70's!

Not dry. But the next best thing. I love State Stores. In New York, in many places you can see how just the presence of a commercial liqour store drags down the surrounding areas.