What about the recasting of the other Indy franchise characters?

Duaner

Lance Quazar said:
Sallah and Marion should be studiously avoided.

Indy's universe needs to feel bigger, not smaller. He's a globe-trotter and a man of the world, he should hang out with more than the same 3 people over and over again.

Ditto Henry Sr, who was supposed to be estranged from Junior for decades. His adventure in "Last Crusade" alongside his son was supposed to be a special and unique undertaking, let's not ruin that.

Marcus would be okay, as they seem to have a long history together and a whiff of continuity would be nice.

But, really, I'd rather see a whole new gang, as fun and fan-servicey as it might be to revisit a classic character at a younger age.

I agree completely. Marcus could make sense, but I think they ought to have a new love interest and a new sidekick to join Indy on his adventures. I hate when prequels feel the need to have a young version of every single character from the originals. If Indy visits Egypt for any reason in the new film, Sallah would make sense, but otherwise his presence would feel forced. And I for one don't want to see the story of the early Indy/Marion relationship on film. That is best left for conjecture. There are plenty of attractive young female actresses you could cast rather than worrying about who looks like Marion or has the same qualities as her.

DDW1

I think the Indy/Marion/Abner storyline would be a dramatic series of films, and a great way to kick off the new Disney Indiana Jones era. There is a ten year gap between Indy and Marion's first relationship and the events of Raiders, plenty of time to include new romances and new adventures, but seeing these events unfold onscreen would add a certain familiarity that the audience could embrace, even though new actors are portraying iconic characters. Prequels get a bad wrap mainly because of Star Wars, but the problem with those films was the delivery not the concept. Those three films should have been a powerful epic adventure/tragedy, but to most they were a disappointment. If handled correctly an Indiana Jones prequel would only add a personal touch to the character's overall timeline. Anyways, having every Indiana Jones film offer up a new female lead and a new McGuffin, the franchise will eventually become tired and predictable. How many fantastic things can one man find before his discoveries start to feel far fetched and ridiculous.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DDW1 said:
I think the Indy/Marion/Abner storyline would be a dramatic series of films, and a great way to kick off the new Disney Indiana Jones era. There is a ten year gap between Indy and Marion's first relationship and the events of Raiders, plenty of time to include new romances and new adventures, but seeing these events unfold onscreen would add a certain familiarity that the audience could embrace, even though new actors are portraying iconic characters. Prequels get a bad wrap mainly because of Star Wars, but the problem with those films was the delivery not the concept. Those three films should have been a powerful epic adventure/tragedy, but to most they were a disappointment. If handled correctly an Indiana Jones prequel would only add a personal touch to the character's overall timeline. Anyways, having every Indiana Jones film offer up a new female lead and a new McGuffin, the franchise will eventually become tired and predictable. How many fantastic things can one man find before his discoveries start to feel far fetched and ridiculous.

This isn't quite the point of this thread, so I hesitate to lead us too far down this path, but there's no way Disney is going to reintroduce the character with a multi-film saga of statutory rape. This is one of those things that can be gotten away with when it's spoken-of backstory but not when it's actually portrayed on screen.

Duaner

Attila the Professor said:
This isn't quite the point of this thread, so I hesitate to lead us too far down this path, but there's no way Disney is going to reintroduce the character with a multi-film saga of statutory rape. This is one of those things that can be gotten away with when it's spoken-of backstory but not when it's actually portrayed on screen.

That was sort of my thinking. Best to start the movie around about 1927 or 1928 when Marion is a thing of the past for Indy and he can move on with a new girl (one close to his age).

DDW1

Marion's age was never discussed in the films, only in the story conferences. She does say that she was a child, but that could be a naive eighteen year old girl. Karen Allen was twenty-nine when she made Raiders.

WilliamBoyd8

Given the life expectancy of cats, this one may need to be recast:

post_indianajones_raiders_cat.jpg

From "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
...If there's anyone I'd be interested in an appearance from, other than Marcus, it's Belloq.

INDIANA:
This is where Forrestal cashed in.
SATIPO:
A friend of yours?
INDIANA:
A competitor... he was good. He was very good.​

That'd be my preferred character exploration. Someone familiar, but that we know nothing about. It expands the universe while at the same time, keeping it isolated.

Duaner

Pale Horse said:

INDIANA:
SATIPO:
A friend of yours?
INDIANA:
A competitor... he was good. He was very good.​

That'd be my preferred character exploration. Someone familiar, but that we know nothing about. It expands the universe while at the same time, keeping it isolated.

I wouldn't mind seeing Forrestal in the new film. Any suggestions on actors to play him? I know there was somewhere that had suggested Michael Fassbender. That could be a decent pick. Any others?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DDW1 said:
Marion's age was never discussed in the films, only in the story conferences. She does say that she was a child, but that could be a naive eighteen year old girl. Karen Allen was twenty-nine when she made Raiders.

Even so, the capsule description we get in <I>Raiders</I> ("I was a child, I was in love, it was wrong and you knew it") is not the makings of a rollicking Disney-released adventure story, even if we read "child" as an approximation of the truth, a description of emotional state rather than age.

Pale Horse said:
INDIANA:
SATIPO:
A friend of yours?
INDIANA:
A competitor... he was good. He was very good.

Yeah, that has potential too, so long as the fact of who he is gets treated as a tidbit for the fans, and they don't spend much or any time foreshadowing his eventual fate (or just telling it out right, if the film were to have some sort of Harrison Ford-starring frame narrative around it).

Not that this ties them to anything, but the old role playing descriptions have him as British, right? Sort of a 19th century-type in feel? Fassbender's a fine possibility, if so.

DDW1

Even so, the capsule description we get in <I>Raiders</I> ("I was a child, I was in love, it was wrong and you knew it") is not the makings of a rollicking Disney-released adventure story, even if we read "child" as an approximation of the truth, a description of emotional state rather than age.

I still think the story would be great cinema and would make an excellent foundation to a larger adventure storyline. The introduction of Abner has always been teased whether it be in Raiders, the Fedora character in Last Crusade, or Oxley in Crystal Skull. Dark Horse comics was even developing a comic to tell the back story of Abner and the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra. The relationship between father and son played out beautifully in Last Crusade, but the Abner character was really the mentor/father figure for Indy, for better or worse; and I think it would be a great opportunity to see where Indy got his cynical side and maybe even the cocky playboy type additude. Abner could be seen as more of an equal, best friends type relationship. That would make a great stand alone film.

Down the line the Marion character could be introduced. Abner would be absolutely against Indy having a relationship with her, but as star crossed lovers they are drawn together. Their romance could develop in a sort of African Queen type film, thrown together, hating each other at first, but they must work together to overcome a situation, falling in love in the process. All the while, Abner is slowly sinking into madness searching for the Ark. His obsession slowly taking its toll on everyone around him.

Character is the foundation for good movies and you have the opportunity to tell a Shakespearean tale with exotic locations and epic adventure scenes. Sure there would be sadness and pain, but classic films contain these moments. Imagine seeing the scene where Indy says goodbye to Marion as they part thinking it will be the last time they see each other, Indy's careless stoic attitude nearly ruining the moment. I imagine the scene from Hud, at the bus station, Paul Newman leans on the light pole watching the bus doors open as Patricia Neal's character gets on the bus:

"I'll remember you honey. You're the one that got away." he says, and the bus drives away.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
indytim said:
I don't know who this is but as soon as I saw her I thought 'Young Marion' ...

Her name is Paz diaz de Bedoya, she's from Paraguay, but she's not a model or actress or anything. She does have twitter feed, though.

Z dweller

indytim said:
I don't know who this is but as soon as I saw her I thought 'Young Marion' ...
Very cute indeed, and she does look the part.

However, I side with those who said that the Indy/young Marion backstory is better left alone.

With so many oher characters and backstories to explore, I don't see the need to delve deeper into that particular murky spot in Indy's past.