Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 2

yodazone

INDIANA JONES OMNIBUS: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES VOLUME 2

omnibus2.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones...r_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238084255&sr=8-14

By David Michelinie, Herb Trimpe, Larry Lieber, Jackson Guice, Steve Ditko and Others :whip:

368 pages, $24.95, Dark Horse (October 15, 2009)

(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

phantom train

Great news! Thanks for posting the link.

I'm glad that this is actually coming out - since there was no info. on this for a long time, I was concerned.

Also, if memory serves, the cover looks like it was drawn by the great Marvel '80's cover artist M. Golden - this artists' covers were amazing, and even better was when he drew the interior art for a comic (for example, the SW Marvel series, issue #38).

I'm guessing this volume will have the TOD adaptation, and also issues
#13-24 of the "Furthur Adventures of IJ" comic.

Not sure why it's taking so long between volumes (February to October is
8 months), but it's possible that the Marvel comics take longer to
re-color/re-master since they're so old.

Stoo

phantom train said:
Also, if memory serves, the cover looks like it was drawn by the great Marvel '80's cover artist M. Golden - this artists' covers were amazing, and even better was when he drew the interior art for a comic (for example, the SW Marvel series, issue #38).
Yes, it's Micheal Golden and one of the best Indy covers he did for Marvel (there are a few more). Yeah, SW #38 was a real treat when it came out! The 1st issue of "Empire" was expected but instead we got "Riders in the Void" and an amazing tale it was! Another M.Golden fave of mine was Avengers annual #10. EXCELLENT!

DIrishB

Nice to see this finally got solicited. I'm still waiting on my copy of Volume 1 of the FA, but its been ordered (just waiting on Amazon to ship it in May). Can't wait till tall three are released and in my collection!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^I'm with you, pal.

Though I must say, at least I am getting closer and closer to the "Search for Abner" now more than ever!!! Yay!(y)

Can't wait till October!

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Michael Golden was and still is a great artist - I interviewed him at the NYC ComicCon for the Indy-Cast, but sdaly the audio was lost. He i working on an animated production of Arthue C Clarke's classic "Childhood's End".

WeAreGoingToDie

I was curious if anybody knows how many volumes we can expect to complete "The Further Adventures"?
I'm nearing the end of reading all the novels and wanted to move onto these books.
Also, how many volumes of the 90's comics Omnibuses can we expect to have? I know two are in print so far.

Stoo

The only '90s Dark Horse stuff left to put out are the 12 "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" issues. All the '90s Ford-era tales have been re-published in the 2 that are out. You can expect 3 volumes of "Further Adventures" for that complete series. (Mind you there are still enough rare bits'n'bobs to fill even more volumes.:D Good info in the threads below.)

Indiana Jones - Rare Tales Omnibus Thread
Indiana Jones Omnibus...will there be more beyond the first two?

Mitchellhallock said:
Michael Golden was and still is a great artist - I interviewed him at the NYC ComicCon for the Indy-Cast, but sdaly the audio was lost. He i working on an animated production of Arthue C Clarke's classic "Childhood's End".
That is AWESOME news, Mitch!(y) Can't wait to tell a friend of mine. Too bad you lost the audio.:(

WeAreGoingToDie

Thanks for the info on the number of volumes! That sounds very reasonable (y)
I tried to get into the Star Wars Marvel reprints "Star Wars: A Long Time Ago..." but there were too many and were too costly.

yodazone

Here's the early Dark Horse solicit with official contents:

ijomnitfav2.jpg

INDIANA JONES OMNIBUS: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES VOLUME 2

David Michelinie (W/A), Herb Trimpe (W/A), Larry Lieber (W), Archie Goodwin (W), Jackson Guice (A), Steve Ditko (A), and others
On sale Oct 21
FC, 368 pages
$24.95
TPB, 6" x 9"

Clouds of war gather ominously over Europe…the Great Depression grips the world…but one globe-trotting archaeologist’s thirst for adventure and discovery remains undaunted by his times in The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones!

Writer David Michelinie continues to team up with notable comics artists Steve Ditko, David Mazzucchelli, Herb Trimpe, and Jackson Guice to entertain Indy fans everywhere! This massive volume collects twelve full issues of the 1980s ongoing series—along with the official adaptation of Temple of Doom—for the very first time.
The Dark Horse series Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures is the first modern collection of Indiana Jones material originally published by Marvel!

- The first three Dark Horse Indiana Jones Omnibus editions have combined to sell over 45,000 copies!

(y)

phantom train

Thanks for posting the official solicitation - this will be a great compilation. It's been at least 25 years since I've read these "Furthur Adventures" issues, and I don't remember ever reading the TOD adaptation.

I put my order in for this and vol 1 and while I'd prefer the size to be like Dark Horse's Star Wars TPBs, the smaller size doesn't matter all that much, since the color and paper quality are outstanding. Reading the old Claremont-Byrne X-Men in the new format recently has been a revelation and I don't think I can go back to looking at the old books, which is like looking through a dirty window with a cataract. Besides, any time I can get collected editions of cherished comics I make the switch. My house is small enough as it is! Dragging comic longboxes out of the closet is a real pain.

Now the question remains: Do I keep my old comics or sell them?

UIMJ

yodazone said:
- The first three Dark Horse Indiana Jones Omnibus editions have combined to sell over 45,000 copies!

(y)

That's actually not very good and they are sort of skewing the stat. That most likely actually means that each book had a print run of approximately 15,000 copies, which is typically a cancellation print run at most companies. Then, of those 15,000 copies of each maybe only 10,000 were sold to an actual end user because it doesn't account for what's still sitting on store shelves across the country.

But, on the upside, clearly it's enough for Dark Horse to keep publishing books. :whip:

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
There's one and two...where's the third Omnibus?
By 'three", yodazone meant the 2 Dark Horse volumes and the 1st Marvel. Volumes 2 & 3 of Marvel's "Further Advenutres" are not out yet.

InBanana Jones said:
..and I don't think I can go back to looking at the old books, which is like looking through a dirty window with a cataract. Besides, any time I can get collected editions of cherished comics I make the switch. My house is small enough as it is! Dragging comic longboxes out of the closet is a real pain.

Now the question remains: Do I keep my old comics or sell them?
Great description, Banana!:D Keep or sell is a tough choice but I like originals for their nostalgic value (ads/letters pages) so I'll never get rid of my Indys. Some of my favourite "Further Adventures" are starting to look a little worn which make the Omnibus reprints very welcome, indeed. The paper stock is much heavier than the newsprint pages of the oldies and, obviously, much easier to thumb through. The colours are splendid and the whites are white.

The only criticism I have is the size format and don't understand why they are smaller. Is this a standard "graphic novel" size or a production cost issue? :confused: