Favourite City/Town

adventure_al

For me has to be my home town of 'Auld Reekie'- Edinburgh. No other place I could call home.

However I've travelled a fair bit and their are others very worthy of a mention.

I love Hong Kong. Mong kok market and Kowloon have such a buzz about them.

Thoroughly enjoyed many parts of Australia, particularly Cairns.

Tatabanya in Hungary will always have really good memories for me too.

XanaduEli

Well I love Scotland! My home town, Dundee is pretty cool, but my favourite place has to be Edinburgh..or maybe Loch Lomond.

I love England too!..I went on a camping trip to Salisbury and many other cities and I just loved it.

I have only been to America once, and from what I can remember Huntsville Alabama was a cool place. :)

adventure_al

I don't like Dundee, sorry :( (it gets nicknamed 'slumdee' for a reason! :p)

I wonder why this thread hasn't had more replies. Surely everyone has a favourite place?

XanaduEli

haha, In my opinion you can only like Dundee if you live there..xD It's a pretty big dump in some areas...but the city centre is nice. :)

Stoo

adventure_al said:
I wonder why this thread hasn't had more replies. Surely everyone has a favourite place?
Sadly, some people might not yet have had the opportunity to travel very far.:( There are other globe-trotters members but maybe they're away at the moment, boarding a plane.

Unlike you, I've never been to Asia or Australia so here's the 'short-list' of my faves in no particular order. (It's hard to choose a Top 5 or 10):

North America:
-Canada
Montreal, Quebec (my home)
Kingston, Ontario
St. John's, Newfoundland

-United States of America
New York, New York
Chicago, Illinois
San Francisco, California
Savannah, Georgia

Europe:
London, England
Paris, France
Edinburgh, Scotland (you'll be happy to know)
Barcelona, Spain
Prague, Czech Republic
Rome, Italy
Sorrento, Italy
Berlin, Germany
Salzburg, Austria
Neuchâtel, Switzerland (where I live now - it's very quaint)

Africa:
Cairo, Egypt (never been anywhere else in Africa...yet!)

Do you care to see a list of LEAST favourite cities/towns?:p

adventure_al

Stoo said:
Sadly, some people might not yet have had the opportunity to travel very far,

Well I know alot of forum members are from America. i've never been there so i'd love to know what they like about their home towns!

Stoo said:
Salzburg, Austria

Cairo, Egypt (never been anywhere else in Africa...yet!)

Two very good choices. Both interesting and beautiful in very different ways.

Stoo said:
Do you care to see a list of LEAST favourite cities/towns?:p

This could be interesting, FIRE AWAY!

dr.jones1986

adventure_al said:
For me has to be my home town of 'Auld Reekie'- Edinburgh. No other place I could call home.

However I've travelled a fair bit and their are others very worthy of a mention.

Edinburgh is a great town, one of my favorite places I visited in Britain. I am going to have to go the same route as you though and choose my hometown of New York ( I am actually about an hour away from Manhatten, but it is the closest city to my house). As stoo mentioned, Savannah Georgia is a great town, one of the best places I have visited in the American south.

From a brief visit in the 90's I always liked Carmel California, Lake Tahoe and the Olympic Village on the drive to San Fran...

adventure_al

dr.jones1986 said:
Edinburgh is a great town, one of my favorite places I visited in Britain.

I'm bias but it is way nicer and more interesting than most of the largwer cities down south.

Did you go anywhere else in Scotland?

dr.jones1986

adventure_al said:
I'm bias but it is way nicer and more interesting than most of the largwer cities down south.

Did you go anywhere else in Scotland?

No, Edinburgh was the only place in Scotland I visited. I really enjoyed it and it was a great change of pace from London. London is great, but its massive size makes it necessary to take public transportation everywhere. In Edinburgh my hostel was just off the royal mile. It was great to be in a place where I could walk everywhere, especially after being in London. I also went to York (which was very nice) Leeds (to see the royal armory) and Salisbury (Stonehenge).

Le Saboteur

adventure_al said:

Some of us had succumbed to the plague when this was originally posted, and then were distracted by other things. But like Stoo said, many members may not have had the opportunity to travel yet. At least not far; for my fellow Americans, you can chalk it up to our extremely low number of passport holders. (Most numbers put this at 28% or less.)

South America and Asia above the subcontinent remain blank spots on my map. Eventually I'll rectify that problem, but until then here's a few of my favorite cities (in no particular order).

The Americas

La Habana de Cuba
New Orleans, Louisiana
San Francisco, California
Santo Domingo de Guzmán, Dominican Republic
Guanajuato, Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
Honolulu, Hawaii

Europe

Paris, France
Venice, Italy
Vienna, Austria (Naturhistorisches Museum Wien is one of the finest Natural History Museums in the world.)
Marseille, France
Seville, Spain
Cartagena, Spain

The Middle East

Istanbul, Turkey
Old Damascus, Syria
Wadi Rum, Jordan (not a city, of course)
Beirut, Lebanon

Africa

Cairo, Egypt
Lagos, Nigeria (though, I really like Port Harcourt as well)
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Asia

Tokyo, Japan
Pondicherry, India
Lahore, Pakistan
Kathmandu, Nepal

These are the cities I'm drawn to -- old port cities. There are exceptions, of course, but I have spent the vast majority of my life in and around the tidal zone. I like the places where cultures met, fought, interchanged ideas, and turned out something new.

Samuel

Middle East
Tel Aviv
Petra (i know its an ancient City, but it´s one of the most beautiful places i have seen)
Jerusalem

Asia
Beijing
Nanjing
Hong Kong

Europe
Budapest
Prague(But only visit Prag during low season!)
Amsterdam

Caribbean
Santa Domingo

AlivePoet

Unfortunately I've been to but three continents so far...

North America
-Montreal, Canada
-Vancouver, Canada
-New York, USA
-Seattle, USA

Europe
-Amsterdam, Netherlands
-Bruges, Belgium
-Berlin, Germany

Asia
-Beijing, China
-Hong Kong, HK
-Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
-Kandy, Sri Lanka
-Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
-MacLeod Ganj, India
-Seoul, South Korea
-Bangkok, Thailand

I'm eagerly awaiting Africa, Australia, and South America. :)

jawajames

adventure_al said:

I love Hong Kong too - and Macau. Prague, Budapest, and Chicago are also on my list.