Germany

xVendetta17x

This summer I'm going to Ireland, then flying down to Germany to do some exploring and such.
Any suggestions of the places i should go?

xVendetta17x

That is a fantastic collection
I would give you my left leg for just a quarter of you collection
I really should come stop by when i'm there

Indy fan 235

Enjoy your trip, Vendetta. I've been wanting to go to germany ever since I was a kid and try to track down some relatives. How long will you be in Germany for?

Stoo

*BUMP*

I've been to Berchtesgaden (twice in 2007), Munich (2007), Berlin (2008) and Aachen (a few months ago in 2011).

Next week, I'll be in Potsdam!(y) Will also be in Berlin again for the weekend (May 4-6). Blue Jay, if you're still out there and reading this, let's go for a beer! Any other German Ravenheads who live in the area (Hanselation? JayDee?) and would like to meet up, let me know.

Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in Potsdam?

Archaeos

Stoo said:
Can anyone recommend some good restaurants in Potsdam?

For German cuisine, I really have to recommend the Meierei im Neuen Garten which is a restaurant/brewery next to the Ceciliendorf Castle (with steamboat quai) overlooking the Jungfernsee. Best place to sip a Berliner Weisse in the sun other than at Berlin's Hackescher Markt.
Would've been a great place for an Indy set piece if Berlin had been featured more prominently in YI or LC.

For European dining in female company: Restaurant Juliette (choose wisely from the menu, as some prices can kill).

Stoo

Archaeos said:
For German cuisine, I really have to recommend the Meierei im Neuen Garten which is a restaurant/brewery next to the Ceciliendorf Castle (with steamboat quai) overlooking the Jungfernsee. Best place to sip a Berliner Weisse in the sun other than at Berlin's Hackescher Markt.
Would've been a great place for an Indy set piece if Berlin had been featured more prominently in YI or LC.

For European dining in female company: Restaurant Juliette (choose wisely from the menu, as some prices can kill).
Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, Archaeos!:hat: Will definitely check out the Meierei im Neuen Garten because the Ceciliendorf is on the itinerary (being the site of the 1945 Potsdam Conference). Also on the roster is Sanssouci Palace which is near our hotel.

I'll be with my girlfriend so we may give Restaurant Juliette a visit (if you say so) but we can get Euro cuisine here in Switzerland. I'm really in the mood for some hardcore German stuff, like Bratwurst, Knödel and Wildschweingulasch, etc.

Archaeos, do you live in Germany or were you there for business/as a tourist?:confused: Leaving tomorrow and brushing up on my German. "Grüß Gott"!
WilliamBoyd8 said:
Frankfurt is mainly a business headquarters but
the Frankfurt area has a few interesting places to visit.
There is a nice art museum and city hall area.
Can't count how many times I've been in the Frankfurt airport but have never been outside to see the city!:(

Archaeos

Stoo said:
Archaeos, do you live in Germany or were you there for business/as a tourist?:confused: Leaving tomorrow and brushing up on my German. "Grüß Gott"!

Ja Servus, Stoo!

The events of the 20th century kinda make my personal background look a bit European-"mutt"-like (no pun intended) but my ties to Germany are as close as they can get :cool: ; in fact, closer to your current home shores than to former Prussian regions.
Even though I havn't lived in Germany for quite some time now, business/pleasure/work/leisure (shamelessly combined) has brought me to Berlin quite alot recently. Hence the gastronomy tips.

Stoo said:
I'll be with my girlfriend so we may give Restaurant Juliette a visit (if you say so)

Whoa, now the pressure (cooker) is on for me and my recommendations. I hope it was okay...

Stoo said:
I'm really in the mood for some hardcore German stuff, like Bratwurst, Knödel and Wildschweingulasch, etc.

Now we are talking (y) . Counting the days for a trip to Bavaria in June to indulge in that :eek: :D .

Will you post some pics or some notes about your trip? Before registering here, I loved reading The Raven and appreciate how the Indy topics mesh with "real-world" experiences in the Off Topics forums. Just a thought...

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Ja Servus, Stoo!

The events of the 20th century kinda make my personal background look a bit European-"mutt"-like (no pun intended) but my ties to Germany are as close as they can get :cool: ; in fact, closer to your current home shores than to former Prussian regions.
Even though I havn't lived in Germany for quite some time now, business/pleasure/work/leisure (shamelessly combined) has brought me to Berlin quite alot recently. Hence the gastronomy tips.
Much appreciated, Archaeos, because we did go to the Meierei brewery in Potsdam for a beer! We rented bikes from the hotel and went there right after visiting Ceciliendorf (the site of the 1945 Potsdam Conference, as you know). It was a 1 minute ride away and, yes, I agree that it would have made for a great Young Indy location. Incidentally, there was a planned "Chronicles" episode that was supposed to take place in Berlin, 1916.

We also went to the Sanssouci Palace and appreciated it's baroque/rococo splendour. Nice, old windmill nearby across the street.

The centre of Potsdam was bustling during the day but dead at night. During the evening, streets were almost empty with very few people walking around.:( The Potsdam Film Museum is not that great but I found a German film in the giftshop that has been on my want-list for over 20 years! Bought it immediately for the low price of 8 Euros!(y)
Archaeos said:
Whoa, now the pressure (cooker) is on for me and my recommendations. I hope it was okay...
Unfortunately, we didn't go to Restaurant Juliette. Instead, we had some wienerschnitzel at a place called, Café Heider, which is right next to the Nauener Gate on Friedrich-Ebert Strasse. (Not the best wienerschnitzel on earth but it wasn't bad either.)

There is a great antique store just a few doors down from there which specializes in pre-WW2 militaria (Seidel und Sohn). I was like a kid in a candy store. There was a Prussian pickelhaube helmet from 1848 that I wanted but it was just too damned expensive!:mad:
Archaeos said:
Now we are talking (y) . Counting the days for a trip to Bavaria in June to indulge in that :eek: :D .

Will you post some pics or some notes about your trip? Before registering here, I loved reading The Raven and appreciate how the Indy topics mesh with "real-world" experiences in the Off Topics forums. Just a thought...
I may post some pics. Over the past 5 years, I've been to 13 European countries (most of them 2 or more times) + a trip to Egypt but haven't posted many photos. For some reason, I feel like sharing some pics from this recent trip to Germany so stay tuned...

This post is about Potsdam but the next will be about Berlin. The HIGHLIGHT of this year's visit to Berlin was finding the UNMARKED spot where Hitler's body was burned!:dead:(y)

Have fun in June, Archaeos!:D

Archaeos

Stoo said:
Much appreciated, Archaeos, because we did go to the Meierei brewery in Potsdam for a beer! We rented bikes from the hotel and went there right after visiting Ceciliendorf (the site of the 1945 Potsdam Conference, as you know). It was a 1 minute ride away and, yes, I agree that it would have made for a great Young Indy location. Incidentally, there was a planned "Chronicles" episode that was supposed to take place in Berlin, 1916.

Happy to hear that you not only made it there, but that it was also ein Erfolg und kein Reinfall for you.

I have read (here and here) about a supposed Berlin episode for 1916. I guess it would have sloted in on the DVD Set behind "The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones: Volume Two ? The War Years ? Trenches of Hell (Somme + Germany 1916)".
(having watched the series on television in Germany back in the 1990s, I am still learning the new re-edits' order, naming etc, so bear with me)
Are there any sources or references you can point me to without much work from you side which lift the veil on the plot of that episode/screenplay..? Or is nothing known?

Stoo said:
We also went to the Sanssouci Palace and appreciated it's baroque/rococo splendour. Nice, old windmill nearby across the street.

It is beautiful! Kaiser Wilhelm I originally wanted Potsdam instead of Berlin as the new capital of the unified Germany.

Stoo said:
The centre of Potsdam was bustling during the day but dead at night. During the evening, streets were almost empty with very few people walking around.:( The Potsdam Film Museum is not that great but I found a German film in the giftshop that has been on my want-list for over 20 years! Bought it immediately for the low price of 8 Euros!(y)

Funny that you say that, because I also found it weird that in Eastern Germany, towns and cities are deserted at night. That's not the case in Southern Germany where there's a more active nightlife culture.

May I ask what movie was on you 'Wanted' list for 20 years?
I have never been around Babelsberg...

Stoo said:
Unfortunately, we didn't go to Restaurant Juliette. Instead, we had some wienerschnitzel at a place called, Café Heider, which is right next to the Nauener Gate on Friedrich-Ebert Strasse. (Not the best wienerschnitzel on earth but it wasn't bad either.)

There is a great antique store just a few doors down from there which specializes in pre-WW2 militaria (Seidel und Sohn). I was like a kid in a candy store. There was a Prussian pickelhaube helmet from 1848 that I wanted but it was just too damned expensive!:mad:

:D

Pre- and Post-Kaiserzeit militaria is quite rare in Germany, at least in respect to dedicated shops - WWII being evidently totally off limits.

Vienna is well sorted in that respect, as Austria is - rather perplexingly, though - quite at ease with its past. Mainly because they "made the world believe that Hitler was German and Beethoven was Austrian", as an old and much-missed friend of mine (who fought in WWII) once said in jest.

Stoo said:
I may post some pics. Over the past 5 years, I've been to 13 European countries (most of them 2 or more times) + a trip to Egypt but haven't posted many photos. For some reason, I feel like sharing some pics from this recent trip to Germany so stay tuned...

This post is about Potsdam but the next will be about Berlin. The HIGHLIGHT of this year's visit to Berlin was finding the UNMARKED spot where Hitler's body was burned!:dead:(y)

Have fun in June, Archaeos!:D

Okay, now that's such a cliffhanger, you have to post a follow-up, with or without piX (in which X marks the spot ;) )

Stoo

I'll be in Berlin for my 3rd time at the end of this week (14-18 May).

Are there any local Ravenheads who feel like meeting up for a beer or something?

AustrianGoodbye

I'm in the Bavaria region, calling all Indyfans in the area maybe we could explore the Indy Castle Brunwald (Schloss Bürresheim) grab a few beers! :hat:

Kukulcan

I'm in the Bavaria region, calling all Indyfans in the area maybe we could explore the Indy Castle Brunwald (Schloss Bürresheim) grab a few beers! :hat:
Too bad he probably looked for Bürresheim in vain, as it is like a 4-6h drive depending on where in Bavaria you are.

But Indys have been seen there:

attachments.php