Colossal statues

ReggieSnake

Sounds like it will be a very interesting project.(y)

The first thing I thought of that wasn't already mentioned (Christ the Redeemer, the statues of the Seven Wonders, etc.) was the giant statue that Nebuchadnezzar sees in a dream and Daniel interprets in the Bible. That might be an interesting thing to mention, even though the symbolism of the statue in vision probably falls well outside the topic.

tupogirl

Oh yes, I was thinking of the Bible one as well.

Haha, Maine is an awesome state! I nearly married someone from there. I am originally an East Coast girl, I just pretend Minnesota is an extension of Maine and the New York Adirondacks. Without the mountains of course:p.

Our snowman is not made of snow and he is there year round. Of course, they just redid the highway near him and now he is much harder to see, despite his size:p.

Very cool sounding project.

theneogon

001nx3.jpg

For those of you interested in colossal statues you may want to read up on the Maitreya Project. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125984
They are planning to make the largest statue ever built! To me the whole operation seems overly idealized and not realistic, but then again I didn't UEA would actually be able to build islands in Dubai.

Not everyone seems so happy about the statue as the Maitreya Project offical website makes it seem. Check this out: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125984

Stoo

African Renaissance Monument

*BUMP*

Old thread...but here's a new, colossal bronze, "African Renaissance" in Senegal. 164 feet tall.

4540660-African-Renaissance-Monument-5.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
*BUMP*

Old thread...but here's a new, colossal bronze, "African Renaissance" in Senegal. 164 feet tall.

Your picture got censored, Stoo, so I Googled and found this page:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/senegal/100113/renaissance-monument-wade

Seems it's a controversial statue as well:

globalpost said:
?This woman [in the statue], she is completely subjugated to man. It?s the man making the decisions. It?s the man as protector, and that doesn?t fit with the African reality,? said historian Penda Mbow.

While the half-naked man represents physical strength and control, the woman is a ?sex object,? Mbow said. She sees the female figure as an afterthought, an appendage, an accessory.

A Senegalese columnist called the statue an example of ?revolting sexism? and wondered whether any women was consulted in the design of the monument.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Is an 'in my pants' reference inappropriate for a mod to say in the classroom?

Well, you're the Lead Moderator, and you're asking us unruly kids to answer that for you? That's like asking the teacher to see pictures of colossal erections from history! ;)

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Those Irish had some funky statues, to be sure.

And before them the Romans had some funky little rampant statues missing their pants, and allegedly the garden gnomes of today are their sanitized offspring. And that's a fact, to be sure.

Last edited:

Stoo

*Bump*

fixer79 said:
Second one is the Butte du Lion or Lion's Mound in Waterloo, Belgium. It's basically a huge, 141 ft high artificial mound erected on the spot where the famous Batle of Waterloo took place in 1815. On top of the mound, on a massive stone pedestal, stands a 31 ton lion.
Legend went that the lion was cast from molten cannonballs which the French had abandoned during the battle...

In fact, I live at only a few miles from Waterloo's famous lion. Countless times I ran up those stairs to the top of the monument to roll down the grassy mound.:)
I finally crossed off another one of my life's to-do list by going to Waterloo this past November!(y)

Anyway, I just found out about an enormous statue of Hercules which once stood on what is called Citadel Hill in Amman, Jordan. Built by the Romans and made of marble, it's estimated to have been approx. 13 metres/43 feet high. Not "colossal" but still pretty, darned big.

Amman_Hercules_zps5f1ba21e.jpg

A photo with people visiting the temple for a sense of scale. Imagine the size of the full thing. It must have been impressive.

nFdbrTm.jpg