Indy 5 news 2012

The Drifter

Pale Horse said:
The best part of all of this is that you all come to the Raven to get your Indy fix (amoung other things) and you are all talking about this now...

...even though we here at theRaven, have been telling you "today's" news for over 6 months now.

I have been saying it's over for about two years now. At first, I was a bright-eyed youth who had high hopes fluttering in his heart, but that slowly died and I realized the truth.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
That's generous, thinking they're at stage 7....

The Kübler-Ross Grief Cycle:

Shock: Initial paralysis at hearing the bad news. [KOTCS]

Denial: Trying to avoid the inevitable. [KOTCS]

Anger: Frustrated outpouring of bottled-up emotion. [KOTCS]

Bargaining: Seeking in vain for a way out. [KOTCS]

Depression: Final realization of the inevitable. [KOTCS]

Testing: Seeking realistic solutions. [KOTCS was a dream]

Acceptance: Finally finding the way forward. [No more KOTCS]

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...cy-jeremy-renner-marshall-damon-gilroy-356298
Marshall: No. Not yet. Never say never, but, you know, not yet.
http://www.vulture.com/2012/07/jurassic-park-4-still-viable.html
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, only one [is moving ahead]. Not Indy. I don't know if it's definitely not happening, but it's not up and running. They talk about it. We all talk about it. But there's no script, there's no ideas. It's not on until there is a writer on the project. There is no writer on Indy."
10 more days of interviews until Bourne 4, including Collider's embargoed one. Marshall's just doing his job as a producer, promoting existing film projects... a tedious enough job, considering his 83 optimistic tweets promoting the worst movie of 2010, Last Airbender.

IndyForever

So basically Marshall is back peddling as he is out of the loop & someone has spoken to him & said its not dead totally (probably his wife Kennedy).

I think in future Marshall should just say speak to Lucas/Spielberg rather than give out false information :gun: he is clearly not part of the inner circle is he!

Rivers

Didnt Marshall say something similar about Indy 4 while the last Bourne movie went into production?? For some reason I remember him stating nothing was happening with Indy 4.
Anyway... it is clear he is out of the loop. He said that there are "no ideas" which we all know is wrong.
Harrison had stated they have a germ of an idea.
Shia said Spielberg pitched a bit to him and it sounds crazy.
George himself said he knows what indy 5 is about but just hasnt found a mcguffin.
These all sound like ideas to me!!
It sure seems Marshall is a distant figure in the involvement and knowledge when it comes to the Indy 5 progress.

Rivers said:
Didnt Marshall say something similar about Indy 4 while the last Bourne movie went into production?? For some reason I remember him stating nothing was happening with Indy 4.
Anyway... it is clear he is out of the loop. He said that there are "no ideas" which we all know is wrong.
Harrison had stated they have a germ of an idea.
Shia said Spielberg pitched a bit to him and it sounds crazy.
George himself said he knows what indy 5 is about but just hasnt found a mcguffin.
These all sound like ideas to me!!
It sure seems Marshall is a distant figure in the involvement and knowledge when it comes to the Indy 5 progress.

Give. It. Up.

This parrot is dead.

Dr. Gonzo

indeed.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4vuW6tQ0218" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pale Horse

Staff member
Rumour Has It

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zTNyGa6TSh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rumor has it he's the one we're leaving him for.

Indy's brother

Olliana said:

From the translated article:

And now the gossippari overseas will let loose on what will be possible star who will join Harrison Ford in his new swashbuckling stories. It is said that among them there is a surprise and maybe Italian ..., Why not, Umbrian!

So. Although no writer has been hired to write a script, they've begun casting anyway.

Sounds legit.

AlivePoet

Please Zeus! let there be an Indy V. If for nothing else, it will transform this board from a dead/lurking undead/zombie/Indy4sux state. We need more speculation and more rumours so that we can be shot down again! We need locations to be rumoured only to find out they're filming exclusively in the States! We need rumours that Shia Labeouf is out for dissing the franchise and its director only to find out he's got another starring role! We need this!

I'll be here with the popcorn if it happens. And I hope it does if only for Indy to become infamous again, or, by a stroke of genius, famous. :whip:

I'd like a good ending to the series. Last Crusade gave us that. But last film gave us a great time of speculation and anticipation, even if it was ultimately a letdown. Life is short, who knows how long we will live? Bring on Indy V while they can and let us enjoy life thinking about a new adventure!

/rant

reinthal

Yes, indeed. It would be a shame if the series ended at this stage. I think all would agree that, as it stands, the series seems incomplete. A well-made fifth installment in this series is needed.

Imagine if there had only been three Bond films? With an extra one nineteen years after the third? Dr. No, From Russia With Love, then ending with Goldfinger and then nothing more until nineteen years later (funnily enough Connery came back and did another Bond film 19 years after 1964's Goldfinger - 1983's Never Say Never Again). If there had only been those ones the cry out from fans demanding more would be incessant... and deafening!

Some might say that the difference is that the Bond films were based upon a series of very popular novels by Ian Fleming so the demand (not to mention the storylines) was already there, but there is still certainly a lot of interest out there for the Indiana Jones series and lots of books, comics, games etc proving its continuing popularity (not to mention that the last film installment has the bonus that it made absolutely bucketloads of cash! So there are certainly no financial objections to a fifth being made!)

The main problem is of course that any forthcoming Indy V is dependent on the trifecta of a storyline that must come from no-one but the pen of Mr Lucas; that director Mr Spielberg must more-or-less enthusiastically agree on that storyline (as well as finding the time to direct it); and that Harrison Ford must also agree with the storyline as well.

Then there is the added problem that Mr Ford is, of course, not getting any younger and that the film series totally relies on his charisma, his skills as an actor/movie star and his unequalled screen presence. So it must be done in the next few years...

All of this everyone knows but Dr Jones has become part of wider popular culture now and interest in it (despite the nay-sayers) will not fade! So roll on Indy V!!

Henry W Jones

Unfortunately, I think the bluray set speaks volumes with "The Complete Adventures". Complete meaning all says to me we are not gonna get anymore IJ on film. :(

EddyW

No, I don't think that's the case, it's just a matter of marketing. You wouldn't buy the "who knows if it's the complete adventures collection".

What I do fear if there's ever going to be a fifth, is that they feel the need to make it a definite closure. What I love about Crusade's ending is how it seems to imply there are still numerous adventures to follow. I wouldn't like a fifth to be any different in that respect, but I admit that the age of Indy alone gives a different message. Indy getting married was already a bit too much like that in my opinion. Another thing I fear is they would take it the Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 route, where they loose the appeal of the series by going all overboard in wanting to make something spectacular with Indy dying, talking to God in person, traveling through time or receiving assistance from all the deceased presidents of America. I'd like something sweet and small, like the ending of Crusade.

reinthal

I'd be happy with a fifth film with no attempt at anything spectacular either (like, as you say, Indy dying, talking to God etc. ... unless those really worked) except for a spectacular story and spectacular old time classic Hollywood direction from Spielberg. (It was the directorial and thematic homage to the 1930s & 40s that kicked the whole series off and Spielberg brought that into the first two.)

As for Ford's age that's fine: as Indy gets older he would have to use his brains more. To me this could mean bringing film-noirish, even Hitchcockian, elements to the film. These genres would be a better fit than those other 1950s-early 60s elements (i.e. the B-movie sci-fi) that jarred so much in KotCS. Bringing in these genres wouldn't preclude having the original concept of Indiana Jones - archaeological fortune hunting - at the core of the movie: Indy would just defeat the bad guys more with his brains than his brawn - I'm thinking along the lines of how Superman defeated Zod and his cronies in Superman II, still one of the great big budget movie endings!

(One thing I would like to see is the mystery of Abner Ravenwood solved. When Marion says he is dead in Raiders it never sounded convincing to me. It sounded like she strongly *assumed* he was dead, e.g. missing presumed dead. That would provide some closure!!)

reinthal

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that the ending of Superman II was noirish or Hitchcockian but an example of brains over brawn in a movie.

Of course, film-noirish elements have been a part of the Indy series since the inception. I think there's a great deal of Bogie in Ford's portrayal of Indy (more than just the influence of the Fred Dobbs from 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' character's look) particularly in Raiders, and I could see Indy replace Bogart's Sam Spade in a remake/reformulation of The Maltese Falcon!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Full Collider interview is up. Other franchises discussed...
People are always talking about another Indiana Jones. Do you think it’s realistic to expect another, or do you think the last one is going to be the last hurrah?
MARSHALL: I think, for me, it’s the last hurrah. I know that, yes, we talk about it, but there’s no idea, there’s no MacGuffin.

George has talked about going into indie movies in the garage. It doesn’t seem like he’s that hungry to make another Indiana Jones.
MARSHALL: No, he isn’t. He’s obviously passing the baton to my wife. That’s kind of fun, isn’t it?

When she told you she was being offered this position, what was your initial reaction?
MARSHALL: Fantastic. George has been a great friend ever since raiders. We spent a lot of time with him. I just thought it was a great opportunity, and certainly something that would be exciting and fun for her to do. As long as we didn’t have to move up there it was fine with me.
goonies21.jpg

Edit: and here's the full Crave interview.
We hear George Lucas is writing a fifth Indiana Jones movie. If a fifth movie gets going, will it be helpful to have gotten the fourth one out of the way and all of the baggage that came with doing Crystal Skull after 20 years?
On Indy? As far as I know he’s not writing a fifth Indy.

Really? That’s been news since after Crystal Skull. Even Harrison Ford said, “George is working on it.”
Well, I think he’s thinking about ideas but he’s certainly not writing one. Everybody, we’d love to keep the series going but again, it’s got to be a really good story.

I just think there should have been five in between 3 and 4. There should’ve been a new adventure every few years.
Yeah, well, they’re hard to do.

Is at least one good thing about the mixed reaction to Crystal Skull that at least people stop hating on Temple of Doom?
Yeah, I mean, if you look at the movies, if you look at Star Wars and you look at Indy, that second movie is always the darkest. That’s sort of the mythology that George and then Steven were creating. I look back at Temple of Doom, there’s a lot of great stuff in Temple of Doom.

It’s the silver lining. I’ve always wanted to ask Spielberg that because I know all the good things that happened to him on Temple of Doom.
Yeah, it happened to me on Raiders. It’s kind of funny, isn’t it? On Raiders I met my wife and on Temple of Doom he met his.

Last edited:

inky_skin

Olliana said:
Rumor has it that Lucas is in Umbria, Italy, to draw inspiration for Indy V.

More than likely he's hanging out there in the run up to the Italian Grand Prix in early September.

Henry W Jones

EddyW said:
No, I don't think that's the case, it's just a matter of marketing. You wouldn't buy the "who knows if it's the complete adventures collection"

This comment is silly. Of course they wouldn't call it "who knows if......." All they would have to do is call it "the adventures of......." That word complete says so much in my eyes.