HBO's Rome

Katarn07

I searched for a topic about this show but nothing came up. Has anyone else seen this? I didn't watch it when it first came out because I don't get HBO. I only just bought the boxset because I wasn't going to pay $80 for something I had never seen before. But for Christmas I got a $50 giftcard and didn't mind spending $35 for it. I have seen 6 episodes now and am blown away by it. The historical parts are actually interesting unlike many older films I've seen dealing with the Roman Republic/Empire. There is also a good cast of fictional characters dealing with the changing times to keep your interest since anyone familiar with history may grow bored of the series knowing the end result. The only bad thing about it is there's way too much sex in it. I'm not saying that didn't take place, but do I need to actually see it? Half the time they don't show it so I don't understand why they show it the other half of the time. It makes it so you can't allow younger viewers or those easily offended to enjoy it. Still, it's definately one of the best shows I've seen. Too bad it's only gonna last 2 seasons. HBO has already cancelled it.

HovitosKing

I have long wondered about this program, since I also do not get HBO. This is the first review I've seen regarding the show, so thanks for sharing. I might end up renting/buying it.

Katarn07

René Belloq said:
If it's as good as I Claudius I'll give it a watch. :whip:

There's a review on Amazon that refers to I, Claudius which I have never seen. He says that both that and HBO's program are the best of the best when dealing with Ancient Rome. Whereas I, Claudius was only concerned with the Imperial Family and Rome's elite class of citizens, HBO's Rome deals with ordinary citizens as well. That'd be the two main fictional characters, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo.

westford

It was shown on the BBC (it was a joint production I think), so I've seen some of it and have got the DVD set (haven't had a chance to watch it yet though). There was quite a lot of sex in the show, but that was life in Roman times - I take it all the violence was ok though? ;) Seriously, it is worth a look if you get a chance - besides all the sex and blood, there's some decent acting, excitement, intrigue and everything you could want in a historical drama (and Titus is rather gorgeous too... ;) ).

Montana Smith

I picked up the second series of Rome on DVD by chance for a quid. It sat in the waiting-to-watch pile for many months until the first series turned up. Didn't want to watch it out of order.

A week or so ago the Rome forum set at Cinecittà studios appeared on the news. It prompted me to start watching.

When I did start on it, I found it really compelling. Especially with the 'All Roads Lead To Rome' feature on, giving snippets of historical background. I learned things that never arose during two years of a Classical Civilization 'A' Level.

The fiction blends fairly seamlessly into the historical perspective, as long as you overlook the issue that time has been somewhat compressed.

Both series cover the years 50 BC to 30 BC, though Vorenus' children don't age enough. It's as though 20 years became 10. One of the episode commentators noted the inconsistency, but didn't explain why Bruno Heller had chosen to do this.

The acting, scenery, costumes and storyline make for an immersive experience.

Too much sex?

Is that possible?

After all, this is decadent Rome!

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Too much sex?

Is that possible?

After all, this is decadent Rome!
While I'm no prude by any means, in a sense it is a gimmick.

After all, sex has been used as a tool of social and even business interaction all throughout history. In fact, some historians might argue it wasn't really more prevalent in ancient Rome as it is in our time. Yet there are a ton of pieces depicting contemporary times that don't go shy on the issue but don't put it on full display either.

The sex in HBO's Rome doesn't really detract from the rest, but I don't think it adds much either, at least if you know some elementary level history. It just sort of... is there.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
While I'm no prude by any means, in a sense it is a gimmick.

After all, sex has been used as a tool of social and even business interaction all throughout history. In fact, some historians might argue it wasn't really more prevalent in ancient Rome as it is in our time. Yet there are a ton of pieces depicting contemporary times that don't go shy on the issue but don't put it on full display either.

The sex in HBO's Rome doesn't really detract from the rest, but I don't think it adds much either, at least if you know some elementary level history. It just sort of... is there.

Sex always serves the popularity purpose, of course. There's no denying that aspect.

With ancient Rome, as with other ancient civilizations, there was a certain amount of phallocentricity to deal with. Once the series chose to broach that subject, as they did with the graffiti and the street shows, then I guess it's open season on all the rest. Episodes are variously rated 15 or 18, and there was going to be bloody violence any way.

Is this Pompeiian fresco of Priapos, the god of garden fertility, too much?

250px-Mercury_god.jpg

I've read that garden gnomes are an evolution of the phallic statuary Romans displayed in their gardens.

684px-Mus%C3%A9e_Picardie_Arch%C3%A9o_03.jpg

The attitudes to sex shown in Rome do serve to illustrate the culture: power over slaves and subordinates; that sex with a slave or a prostitute doesn't count as adultery; the absolute right of a husband to kill his wife and children if the wife commits adultery.

The series goes all out to depict a horrendous life for anyone not of noble birth. And even then, nobility didn't always count for much. For a great civilization, it was fairly barbaric and alien to modern sensibilities. Alien in all but politics, as they seem to have changed very little in the intervening years.

Rome put me in mind to start on the Spartacus series

And I just remembered, I still have the DVD of Caligula in the to-watch pile: "A $25 million orgy of sexual excesses with super star cast".