Smitty's Junk

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
I would love to take the yellow tape off and show it off, but the guy I bought it off said it was highly illegal for me to do so, even at home. Luckily though, I'm in the process of getting VCRA exemption status so I can. Pictures coming in a little bit.

The yellow tape looks a bit excessive! But what you can see of the gun certainly looks the part.

Was it sold as retail? i.e. brand new?

If so then I suppose that's the only legal way he could sell you the gun.

If it was bought second hand (without any tape) it would be fine, but changing the appearance of a replica is against the VCRA.

As they say, the law's an ass, since there's no problem whatsoever in buying a deactivated weapon.

In what capacity are you going for the exemption?

Here's my still oily deactivated for comparison:

DSCN3884.jpg

DSCN3885.jpg

EDIT: Just remembered. There's an online retailer here in the UK that sells modern replicas including the Denix MP40. They paint them with brightly coloured 'peel-off' paint, and virtually tell their customers that whatever they do with the paint when it arrives is their own business.

Last edited:

Exulted Unicron

the guy I bought it off got it from Relics.org.uk and then I bought it off him. I checked the site and they will sell all modern guns (post 1870) with yellow peel off tape if you don't have VCRA exemption.

As for me, I found an airsofting site about 20 minutes walk up the road. To get VCRA exemption that way, become a member of a registered site and play a minimum of 3 games in 3 months.

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
the guy I bought it off got it from Relics.org.uk and then I bought it off him. I checked the site and they will sell all modern guns (post 1870) with yellow peel off tape if you don't have VCRA exemption.

As for me, I found an airsofting site about 20 minutes walk up the road. To get VCRA exemption that way, become a member of a registered site and play a minimum of 3 games in 3 months.

Relics was the place I was thinking of. They say they will supply any gun with "a bright yellow, peel off finish".

Handy that the airsoft site is so close to you.

Exulted Unicron

I realised the guy must have had it a while. The tape is starting to peel and rip in places and the lanyard is starting to oxidise. The actual lanyard near the clip has green stains on it.

I'm still not sure whether or not to peel the tape off. It will be solely for my personal collection and I'm NOT stupid to take it outside to conventions, same for my airsoft guns

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
I realised the guy must have had it a while. The tape is starting to peel and rip in places and the lanyard is starting to oxidise. The actual lanyard near the clip has green stains on it.

I'm still not sure whether or not to peel the tape off. It will be solely for my personal collection and I'm NOT stupid to take it outside to conventions, same for my airsoft guns

Rip it off and be done with it!

It would be no different to having bought the gun at a fair or boot sale, which is where most of my replicas, blank firers, airguns and airsofts came from.

Once I have them they go up on the wall and stay there, but for cleaning and the occasional squirt of WD-40!

Exulted Unicron

The tape came off with no resistance or residue whatsoever. There's next to no stickyness on the tape. I wonder if it's supposed to be like that or if the guy's had it in his garage for the last 20 years or so?

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
The tape came off with no resistance or residue whatsoever. There's next to no stickyness on the tape. I wonder if it's supposed to be like that or if the guy's had it in his garage for the last 20 years or so?

Good to know that it didn't do any damage.

I think it's entirely intentional. A way for retailers to get around a law they didn't agree with.

Exulted Unicron

I realise now that I've permanently broken my denix webley. When you break open the webley, it somehow snaps a ball bearing on a post that keeps the cylinder in place. I just noticed a piece of paper that states that

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
I realise now that I've permanently broken my denix webley. When you break open the webley, it somehow snaps a ball bearing on a post that keeps the cylinder in place. I just noticed a piece of paper that states that

Bummer. (n)

I just Googled that issue, and you're not alone.

Looks as though plenty of people discovered the warning too late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9V-xd9FV-Y

It sort of precludes the use of the dummy bullets.

However, there may be a solution.

The problem others have had is the spring no longer functioning properly after opening. One person found the solution:

The first thing I did after opening the box and taking the replica out was to slide back the catch and break the revolver. Let me dispel the notion that this model does not break like the original, it pretty much does. Now, there was a little piece of paper in the box that warned me not to break the pistol but, of course, I didn't even see that until after I had already done it. The chamber immediately fell out which caused a spring to launch the cylinder stop across the room like a projectile. Oops.

It didn't take a great deal of effort to put everything back together but somehow the sudden release caused the spring to pick up a bunch of extra springiness. The chamber wouldn't rotate, at least not easily. Leaving the spring or stop out caused the chamber to rotate ceaselessly every time I pulled the trigger. Replacement with a slightly smaller spring had me back in business and everything working as it should.

http://www.amazon.com/Denix-British-Military-Revolver-Indiana/product-reviews/B004BDX9RS

Exulted Unicron

After spending some time with this denix, it's a double edged sword. On one hand, it's a very nice replica, fairly weighty and looks good with any Indy collection, but on the other, compared to other Denix products, it's a shambles. You can't dry fire or break it open, there's no extractor and you can't **** the hammer.

Dry firing and breaking it open will actually break the replica. I was talking to some people on some other gun forums and they said the Denix Webley IV is by far the worst product they've ever done. They need to improve it

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
After spending some time with this denix, it's a double edged sword. On one hand, it's a very nice replica, fairly weighty and looks good with any Indy collection, but on the other, compared to other Denix products, it's a shambles. You can't dry fire or break it open, there's no extractor and you can't **** the hammer.

Dry firing and breaking it open will actually break the replica. I was talking to some people on some other gun forums and they said the Denix Webley IV is by far the worst product they've ever done. They need to improve it

Wonder why they went to so much effort to make the IV so user-unfriendly?

Exulted Unicron

The people on the denix fan forums have said that because Spain has been up a certain creek thanks to the global economic downturn, they've had to scale back production and cheap out a little, settle more for display than functionality.

Exulted Unicron

Importing my second Denix from Spain. The Browning GP35 (French Hi-Power) and some dummy 9mm rounds. I'm HOPING it doesn't get stopped at customs.

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
Importing my second Denix from Spain. The Browning GP35 (French Hi-Power) and some dummy 9mm rounds. I'm HOPING it doesn't get stopped at customs.

Yikes!

Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006

36 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(d) he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

(7) A realistic imitation firearm brought into Great Britain shall be liable to forfeiture under the customs and excise Acts.

(9) An offence under this section shall be punishable, on summary conviction—

(a) in England and Wales, with imprisonment for a term not exceeding 51 weeks or with a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or with both; and

(b) in Scotland, with imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or with a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or with both.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

:eek:

37 Specific defences applying to the offence under s. 36

(1) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under section 36 in respect of any conduct to show that the conduct was for the purpose only of making the imitation firearm in question available for one or more of the purposes specified in subsection (2).

(2) Those purposes are—

(a) the purposes of a museum or gallery;

(b) the purposes of theatrical performances and of rehearsals for such performances;

(c) the production of films (within the meaning of Part 1 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (c. 48)_see section 5B of that Act);

(d) the production of television programmes (within the meaning of the Communications Act 2003 (c. 21)_see section 405(1) of that Act);

(e) the organisation and holding of historical re-enactments organised and held by persons specified or described for the purposes of this section by regulations made by the Secretary of State;

(f) the purposes of functions that a person has in his capacity as a person in the service of Her Majesty.

(3) It shall also be a defence for a person charged with an offence under section 36 in respect of conduct falling within subsection (1)(d) of that section to show that the conduct—

(a) was in the course of carrying on any trade or business; and
(b) was for the purpose of making the imitation firearm in question available to be modified in a way which would result in its ceasing to be a realistic imitation firearm.

(4) For the purposes of this section a person shall be taken to have shown a matter specified in subsection (1) or (3) if—

(a) sufficient evidence of that matter is adduced to raise an issue with respect to it; and

(b) the contrary is not proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

(5) The power of the Secretary of State to make regulations under this section shall be exercisable by statutory instrument subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.

(6) That power includes power—

(a) to make different provision for different cases;

(b) to make provision subject to such exemptions and exceptions as the Secretary of State thinks fit; and

(c) to make such incidental, supplemental, consequential and transitional provision as he thinks fit.

(7) In this section—

“historical re-enactment” means any presentation or other event held for the purpose of re-enacting an event from the past or of illustrating conduct from a particular time or period in the past;

“museum or gallery” includes any institution which—

(a) has as its purpose, or one of its purposes, the preservation, display and interpretation of material of historical, artistic or scientific interest; and

(b) gives the public access to it.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

38 Meaning of “realistic imitation firearm”

(1) In sections 36 and 37 “realistic imitation firearm” means an imitation firearm which—

(a) has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm; and

(b) is neither a de-activated firearm nor itself an antique.

(2) For the purposes of this section, an imitation firearm is not (except by virtue of subsection (3)(b)) to be regarded as distinguishable from a real firearm for any practical purpose if it could be so distinguished only—

(a) by an expert;

(b) on a close examination; or

(c) as a result of an attempt to load or to fire it.

(3) In determining for the purposes of this section whether an imitation firearm is distinguishable from a real firearm—

(a) the matters that must be taken into account include any differences between the size, shape and principal colour of the imitation firearm and the size, shape and colour in which the real firearm is manufactured; and

(b) the imitation is to be regarded as distinguishable if its size, shape or principal colour is unrealistic for a real firearm.

(4) The Secretary of State may by regulations provide that, for the purposes of subsection (3)(b)—

(a) the size of an imitation firearm is to be regarded as unrealistic for a real firearm only if the imitation firearm has dimensions that are less than the dimensions specified in the regulations; and

(b) a colour is to be regarded as unrealistic for a real firearm only if it is a colour specified in the regulations.

(5) The power of the Secretary of State to make regulations under this section shall be exercisable by statutory instrument subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.

(6) That power includes power—

(a) to make different provision for different cases;

(b) to make provision subject to such exemptions and exceptions as the Secretary of State thinks fit; and

(c) to make such incidental, supplemental, consequential and transitional provision as he thinks fit.

(7) In this section—

“colour” is to be construed in accordance with subsection (9);
“de-activated firearm” means an imitation firearm that consists in something which—

(a) was a firearm; but

(b) has been so rendered incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile as no longer to be a firearm;

“real firearm” means—

(a) a firearm of an actual make or model of modern firearm (whether existing or discontinued); or

(b) something falling within a description which could be used for identifying, by reference to their appearance, the firearms falling within a category of actual modern firearms which, even though they include firearms of different makes or models (whether existing or discontinued) or both, all have the same or a similar appearance.

(8) In subsection (7) “modern firearm” means any firearm other than one the appearance of which would tend to identify it as having a design and mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870.

(9) References in this section, in relation to an imitation firearm or a real firearm, to its colour include references to its being made of transparent material.

(10) Section 8 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 (c. 45) (under which firearms are deemed to be deactivated if they are appropriately marked) applies for the purposes of this section as it applies for the purposes of the 1968 Act.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/38

Exulted Unicron

they said it was fine when I asked about shipping and they said they've shipped to the UK before without any hassle. I did say that it needed to be two-tone, but they said it's listed as display piece, which isn't supposedly bound by the UK VCRA.

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
they said it was fine when I asked about shipping and they said they've shipped to the UK before without any hassle. I did say that it needed to be two-tone, but they said it's listed as display piece, which isn't supposedly bound by the UK VCRA.

I really hope it works out okay for you!

Who did you buy it from? Denix no longer have it listed in their catalogue. Neither do Battleorders.

Montana Smith

Exulted Unicron said:
a company called Maskworld in Germany. It was direct through Amazon themselves. They've shipped Denix stuff to the UK before and have had no problems.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pistol-Brow...?ie=UTF8&qid=1378480742&sr=8-2&keywords=denix

Which would mean that our customs aren't checking, or they're disregarding the law.

Every UK online firm I've seen specifies the modern Denix replicas as falling under VCRA regulations, unless sold in a bright colour.

I see Relics still has the MP40, which is meant to be one of Denix' best. Expensive though.

I was offered an AGM airsoft MP40 recently, but didn't think much of it. The internal mechanics messed up the look and functionality of it as a replica.

Montana Smith

When I was offered the MP40 I was hoping it was going to be a Denix.

However, the AGM didn't look that good. Flat black painted aluminium with the opening for the cocking handle not fully 'open', but blocked, presumably concealing airsoft mechanics.

It was £100 but I turned it down. Would rather have the Denix if I got one at all.

As for the Browning, the Bruni Colt 1911 blank firer will have to suffice for now!

100_1033.jpg

100_1023.jpg

100_1030.jpg

The morning I bought it there were three people trying to convince me to sell it to them. Not a chance. It was destined for the wall!

Oddly enough, the stamped mark above the trigger reads 'WEBLEY', since they were the UK importers.