Last Crusade opening sequence

this is just a thread about fan thoughts of the young Indy opening sequence in the Last Crusade

ok so no one is replying so I'll start us off. I thought it was good. young indy's hair was a little weird but it set the tone for the rest of the movie. Fedora was great and the train scene was funny and action packed. It felt very much like Indy even though he was 13

Last edited by a moderator:

michael

I watched the Last Crusade again last night, and I am really starting to love the sequence, especially when he pulls the snake off Herman and the way he says "it's only a snake" plus the "i'll figure something out" line. The music is awesome too. It's also nice to see the progression of respect Fedora starts to give Indy.

Michael24

I've always enjoyed the opening sequence, despite the annoyance of the ever-changing background once the action reaches the train. Sure, they're moving, but many of the changes just seem too sudden and to out of place.

And I also like how Fedora, even though he's mad at this no-name Boy Scout getting the best of him, still manages a smile of admiration as Indy makes his escape, then later gives him his hat.

LostArk

michael said:
I watched the Last Crusade again last night, and I am really starting to love the sequence, especially when he pulls the snake off Herman and the way he says "it's only a snake" plus the "i'll figure something out" line. The music is awesome too. It's also nice to see the progression of respect Fedora starts to give Indy.

Haha yeah, I like that too. He's like telling Herman what to do and he lifts the snake and says that.

My thoughts:
It was great from the beginning. Indy jumping onto the horse and landing on the ground was funny. I like the seemingly-unintentional reference to ToD in the repitle caboose (Indy on that metal thing was like the rope-bridge with the crocodiles below him and all). Indy saying "holy smokes" when the rhino almost castrates him :p and then when he spins around on the beam. Fedora saying "damn", as Michael 24 said, shows that he was quite impressed. Also, the transition from young Indy to adult Indy was perfect.

Crusade>Raiders

Love the sequence. That plus the boat scene makes it my second favorite opening to Raiders, because it didn't take forever to get to the action like Kingdom and wasn't completely over-the-top like Temple(Every movie had great openings though). River Phoenix had Young Indy down to a science, mimicing all of Ford's mannerisms. The chase scene was awesome, and I love the attention-grabbing signs on the train cars. Fedora obviously wanted the Cross, but he couldn't help but smile at Indy's ablity to escape situations. Plus, it ends with one of my favorite scnes in any Indy movies: "You lost today kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it." Then that perfect transistion from young Indy to present day Indy, music starting low, then builds up and ends in sync with the punch to the face.

When you think about it, its a "yeah right" moment how Indy's entire adult persona(The whip, the scar, the hat, the fear of snakes) is formed in 5 mins, but that doesn't take too much anyway from a great opening.

"Cornado's dead, and so are all his grandchildren!"
"It belongs in a musuem!"

michael

LostArk said:
Haha yeah, I like that too. He's like telling Herman what to do and he lifts the snake and says that.

My thoughts:
It was great from the beginning. Indy jumping onto the horse and landing on the ground was funny. I like the seemingly-unintentional reference to ToD in the repitle caboose (Indy on that metal thing was like the rope-bridge with the crocodiles below him and all). Indy saying "holy smokes" when the rhino almost castrates him :p and then when he spins around on the beam. Fedora saying "damn", as Michael 24 said, shows that he was quite impressed. Also, the transition from young Indy to adult Indy was perfect.
I never thought about the unintentional reference to TOD, good catch.

Kooshmeister

I just wish Fedora's hired help weren't such goofballs. Admittedly, their clumsiness is a lot of fun, but I never for once bought that anyone but Fedora was actually a threat to Indy.

Rococo

Thought of this during tonights watching. In the early scenes, the friend is already calling him "Indy", though the way the camera pans on the dog, it seems like it's supposed to imply that *that* is the dog that Indy has "fond memories" of... so you would have to assume that he assumed the name while the dog was still alive???

My biggest gripe is Indy's bangs. Henry would never have approved. In those days it was customary to keep your hair trimmed. The surfer mane was not en vogue.

Indy~Annie

i love the front i never skip!

i love it when he says "every ones lost but me" :p

and i love how they make u think Fedora guy is Indy.then he turns around,to find out he's.....a guy with a cool hat with no name.:p

he's a cool guy! i wish he was in more.not to bad looking either.;) no where compared to Indy buuuuuuuut.:p

theres just no comparison to Mr.Harrison.;)

|ZiR|

Agent Spalko said:
My biggest gripe is Indy's bangs. Henry would never have approved. In those days it was customary to keep your hair trimmed. The surfer mane was not en vogue.

I agree, but then again... Henry wasn't precisely what I'd call an "attentive" parent.

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
Gripes, gripes, gripes. That's all you have to offer?(n)

It's an exaggerated version of an early 20th century cut. Normally, Indy's hair would have been combed back.
Because he's under duress and "in action" it falls out of place. Young Indy's hairstyle here was an obvious attempt
to connect with the fashionable skater/surfer styles of the late '80s.

Not too hard to understand...If it's too unrealistic for you, ignore it!
(Just like the U-boat submerging and "Crystal Skull" in general).:gun:

That's hardly a gripe. You obviously can't stop stooing over the submarine argument we had months ago you feel the need to keep bringing it up in every thread. Any gripes I have about Crusade are insignificant by comparison to Indy holding onto a periscope that always stays up and a sub that always stays submerged at periscope depth. Fact: U-boats only submerge in hostile waters or when attacked. Pre-nuclear subs would only submerge under extreme circumstances to avoid drain on their batteries. Check your facts and quit stooing over it.

NLogan

I love the opening sequence and it is a shame River Phoenix was not alive to do the Young Indiana Jones series as he was perfect in the role. One "gripe" or more of a quandary actually is: Why is the kid with the floppy hat (Roscoe) pulling out a knife and trying to kill Indy? You know the part where they are wrestling on top of the train car and the Rhino puts his horn through the roof. I think I would have brought that up with the sheriff if I were Indy. I am sure fedora or panama hat didn't tell the goons go and kill the 13 year old boy scout, just to get the cross back. Attempted murder I think trumps theft of an artifact.:confused:

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
That's hardly a gripe.
'Twas you that called it a "gripe", not me.:p You're wrong about the hair.
Agent Spalko said:
Fact: U-boats only submerge in hostile waters or when attacked. Pre-nuclear subs would only submerge under extreme circumstances to avoid drain on their batteries.
Incorrect. Shows how much you know about WW2 German subs...:rolleyes:
NLogan said:
I am sure fedora or panama hat didn't tell the goons go and kill the 13 year old boy scout, just to get the cross back. Attempted murder I think trumps theft of an artifact.
Roscoe was a loose cannon!

Stoo said:
Incorrect. Shows how much you know about WW2 German subs...:rolleyes:

Obviously more than you. I said check your facts Stoopid.

I'll even quote my sources:

From Wikipedia:

Because speed and range were severely limited underwater while running on battery power, U-boats were required to spend most of their time surfaced running on diesel engines, diving only when attacked or for rare daytime torpedo strikes. The most common U-boat attack during the early years of the war was conducted on the surface and at night, see Submarine warfare.

From IMDB:
There are several deleted scenes unreleased on either DVD or VHS. Among the deleted scenes are: Marion explains to Indy the cause of Abner's death. As Indy was about to leave he returns to Marion to be kissed again. The shot appears in some DVD, VHS covers. - A longer version of Indy fighting against Pat Roach in the bar - The infamous planned sword fight duel - Imam the scholar forewarns Indy and Sallah not to touch or look at the Ark. Instead, this was not revealed until the climax. - While looking for a rope, Sallah spills water on a German officer. Because too much dust came from the background, the shot was spoiled. - A scene where a German student playing an officer threatens to execute Sallah. - Indy knocks out a local looking at him after coming out from the tomb - Indy clings to the periscope of the submarine all the way to the secret base by wrapping his whip around it and himself. It explains how he managed to survive in the sea all that time. However, prior to the advent of nuclear power, submarines were designed as surface ships that could go under water. They only submerged for defensive purposes. So, it is quite plausible that the German U-boat would have sailed on the surface of the water the entire time, enabling Indiana Jones to survive the trip without having to cling to the periscope.

deckard24

Agent Spalko said:
I gotta agree! River's hair always took me out of the moment when watching that film, and all I could think of was grunge rock! The whole scene of him parting it out of his eyes when he fell in with the lion was annoying as hell! If it was more like Ford's hair in the later films albeit a little longer, it would have helped the believability of the scene. Also I know it was Ford who said Phoenix looked the most like him as a kid, but I've never ever seen that connection. A little bit in the smile and eyes, but that's it!

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
Obviously more than you. I said check your facts Stoopid.
Try again. A month ago, you know squat and have obviously never heard of a submarine snorkel before.
While I could be called "stoopid" for arguing with a mule, I'll take this up in the appropriate thread.
Crusade>Raiders said:
"For love of God, SHUT THE HELL UP!"
As Remy said to Indy in Cape Lopez, "Yes, Captain sir, RIGHT AWAY!"

One of my favourite parts in the beginning of "Crusade" is the long shot of the gang scrambling
after Indy on the flat car. It looks like a direct homage to the original "The Great Train Robbery".
(If that is a dolly shot that was one, long track!)

TheMutt92

I like the sequence a lot, my only grip is how all the events that turn Henry into a young Indy are so close together. I think if they altered/removed/did something w/ the whip and lion, the sequences would be perfect.