Disneyland Truck

Eric Solo

According to wikipedia, the Mercedes diesel truck near the exit of The Forbidden Eye ride at Disneyland was actually used in the filming of Raiders. Can anyone confirm this? I went there recently and photographed the truck. The luggage rack on top of the cab is missing. However, the photo in wikipedia shows the luggage rack intact. hmm

Montana Smith

It's believed to be the same one.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=17603&highlight=truck

800px-Disneyindytruck1.jpg

truck_chase.jpg

micsteam

The windscreen frame is different than the movie version, if you look in Raiders there is no center bar between right and left windows (at least one that can't be broken by throwing someone through it). :hat:

Exulted Unicron

wonder which truck Cars of The Stars museum in Keswick, here in the UK, owned then. They used to own one of the ROTLA trucks when it was open. I don't know what they did with the cars

Stoo

Eric Solo said:
According to wikipedia, the Mercedes diesel truck near the exit of The Forbidden Eye ride at Disneyland was actually used in the filming of Raiders. Can anyone confirm this? I went there recently and photographed the truck. The luggage rack on top of the cab is missing. However, the photo in wikipedia shows the luggage rack intact. hmm
Hi, Eric. I'm in love with this particular machine and am jealous of anyone who's seen it in the flesh. If you're able, you should post some of your own photos!:)

While having never seen the Forbidden Eye truck with my own naked, steaming eyes, I'm pretty convinced that it's the genuine article, albeit, with some repairs & modifications. The original was custom-built to recreate a specific, WW2-era model but it wasn't a 100%, perfect match of its real-life counterpart. Therefore, the Disney truck has tell-tale details which distinguish it as being authentic. In short, I don't believe that it's a replica of a replica.

As for an 'official' word, the closest that I've been able to find are these 2 bits:

"Dave Smith, the guy who runs the Disney Archives, states in one of the trivia books that the jeep outside Indy is the one used in the movie. I think that should clear up all doubt!
CONFIRMED: chernabog 16 NOV 98"

"Concerning the Indy Truck in the Queue at Disneyland. I vote that it is the authentic vehicle from the movie since I prepared it for the attraction. There's documentation that tells where it was aquired and that it is indeed "the" same truck used in the film. A close look at it will also guarantee the fact, check it out and compare.
CONFIRMED: Eric 11 OCT 00"

Taken from:
Fun Facts at Disneyland's Indiana Jones' Temple of the Forbidden Eye
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland/Secrets/Adventure/Indy.html

===
That's odd about the missing luggage rack! Why remove it?:confused: Here's a photo from the 'net, 23-24 April 2013, with the luggage rack gone?so it's been missing for, at least, about 1 year now.

Truck_C_Luggage_zps3e0b58cf.jpg

(During the shoot, the rack actually busted off at one point but it was repaired on location, as evidenced in the film).
Exulted Unicron said:
wonder which truck Cars of The Stars museum in Keswick, here in the UK, owned then. They used to own one of the ROTLA trucks when it was open. I don't know what they did with the cars
Unicron! This is what I kept asking you about in your other thread:
Indy vehicles & museums

As far as I'm aware, Disneyland has displayed the truck since the ride's start in 1995 (someone correct if this is wrong) so it would great to get to the bottom of that other mystery (in your other thread).:) I'm dying to know!
micsteam said:
The windscreen frame is different than the movie version, if you look in Raiders there is no center bar between right and left windows (at least one that can't be broken by throwing someone through it).
You're right, micsteam, that the windshield is different but whomever replaced it did an OK job at replicating the look because it's a close enough approximation. Not an exact match but, hey, who'd notice besides people like us? They forgot one of the wipers, though!

In the movie, the centre support was more narrow and must have been made from balsa wood or plaster, etc. Definitely not metal! SMASH!

Truck_A_Windshield_zpsb27664bd.jpg

===
There are actually many more differences besides just the windshield. Personally, I think it would've been cooler to have NOT made fixes (because each broken/missing piece tells a story) but the truck was obviously adorned to blend into the ride's story/theme.

Stayed tuned for an in-depth analysis of the repairs, modifications & missing pieces!:whip:

Goodeknight

I don't know if they still do it or not, but during The Great Movie Ride at Disney, the tour guides always said the Lockheed in their Casablanca set was the actual Lockheed from the film. But it wasn't. The one in the film is really a half or three quarter scale replica.

I would hope the head of Disney's archives would be on the up and up with such a claim about the truck from Raiders, though. But "Disney says" tends to lack credibility in my book.

Stoo said:
That's odd about the missing luggage rack! Why remove it?:confused:
Why remove it?? "Because it would look great on my truck...."
(Can't you imagine someone thinking that??)

Stoo

Goodeknight said:
I don't know if they still do it or not, but during The Great Movie Ride at Disney, the tour guides always said the Lockheed in their Casablanca set was the actual Lockheed from the film. But it wasn't. The one in the film is really a half or three quarter scale replica.
Thanks for mentioning this, Goodeknight, because it's a laugh. As far as I'm aware, the plane in "Casablanca" was a small-scaled, 2 dimensional mock-up with midgets/little people used for the ground crew. No surprise that the tour guides are saying such a thing. False claims like that happen all of the time.

(On a similar note, Rock Hard Cafe locations around the world have items that are purported to be the real deal but are actually replicas. This is a sad but true fact.)
Goodeknight said:
I would hope the head of Disney's archives would be on the up and up with such a claim about the truck from Raiders, though. But "Disney says" tends to lack credibility in my book.
Agreed, except that the main chassis & cab of the truck do appear (to my eyes) to be genuine. Disney also has several vehicles from "Crusade" so I'm inclined to believe that the "Raiders" truck is authentic (but I'd love to proven wrong on this...if someone out there can do it).:whip:
Goodeknight said:
Why remove it?? "Because it would look great on my truck...."
(Can't you imagine someone thinking that??)
Yes, I can imagine someone *thinking* that but don't believe it's the reason for the luggage rack being removed. Each park has installations that change every so often, and even the Disney freaks don't even know why.

Le Saboteur

Goodeknight said:
...the tour guides always said the Lockheed in their Casablanca set was the actual Lockheed from the film. But it wasn't. The one in the film is really a half or three quarter scale replica.

Stoo said:
As far as I'm aware, the plane in "Casablanca" was a small-scaled, 2 dimensional mock-up with midgets/little people used for the ground crew.

Let me steer you both away from the Abyss and back towards Coolsville, because you're not wrong, but you're not correct either.

Re: The Planes of Casablanca

I’ve had this conversation before. It wasn’t Disney related at the time, but the merits of it still stand; there was a genuine Lockheed Electra 12A used on the set of Casablanca. It’s just not where you’re expecting it to be, however, and The Midget Perspective is a great story.

A couple of fixed wing aircraft appear in the opening sequence as Major Strasser & Co. arrive in Casablanca, but they’re ultimately generic. One’s a two-seater racing plane as evidenced by the wing braces, and the other is… well, I don’t know. Some sort of small cargo/passenger plane is the likely guess, but it could also be a mail plane. In short, it’s non-descript.

Major Strasser’s plane on the other hand is a Fokker Super Universal. A scale model was used in the landing sequence, but they’re very clearly alighting from a genuine plane @ the 5:28 mark. Back it up a few seconds and you can see it taxi before making a right turn and stopping.

The middle third features stock footage and at least one composite shot of the “Lisbon Plane” when Bogart and Rains are having a smoke in front of the Café Americaine. There might be a second one, but the placement eludes me at the moment.

With around four minutes to spare, there are two very quick close-up shots of said Lockheed. The first shows the starboard motor firing up, and the second shows the cockpit and the port motor. The pilot can very clearly be scene prepping for flight in the second shot, and to my eyes and ears* that’s a real plane with real engines turning over.

* - I used to live on Fightertown USA. I spent a lot of time around jets and planes.

There’s a chance it could be a model, but why spend that much money creating functioning propellers and engines for about five seconds of screen time? Plus, during the takeoff it behaves like a real plane. Gravity, drag, and all that jazz are visibly at work.

From the book Casablanca: Behind the Scenes:

Harlan Lebo said:
The filming of the airport scenes on Stage 1—with on-set arguments, eleventh-hour arrivals of dialogue, and directorial script manipulations—marked a turning point in the production. The shooting had passed its toughest obstacles; as the most difficult filming was completed, the production rolled toward its conclusion.

With sighs of relief all around, Curtiz wrapped up the last of the airport sequences on July 22—the most arduous five shooting days of the picture. The day before, the Curtiz Show passed its planned completion date; the production was by this time officially over schedule.

The next day, a Warner second unit directed by Ross Lederman filmed the on-location night shots of the “Lisbon plane”—a two-engine Lockheed Electra—at the Los Angeles Metropolitan Airport. The night shooting had indeed been arranged; in the midst of world war, Alleborn’s influence with the Fourth Interceptor Command had prevailed.

From a 1986 article in the Los Angeles Times:

T.W.McGARRY said:
A second unit later filmed runways and an airplane at Van Nuys Airport to blend with scenes shot on the sound stage.

On the night of July 23, ("50th shooting day, company 8 days behind" schedule), assistant director Ross Lederman took a second unit to Metropolitan Airport--as Van Nuys Airport was known until 1956--and "set fog effect," Alleborn reported. The crew then spent midnight to 3:30 a.m. on July 24 "shooting the EXT(erior) AIRPORT with the plane, night sequence," he wrote. Lederman filed a concurring report.

There is a column on the report form to indicate which actors were on the set. None are listed.

Full article: 'Casablanca' Filmed Elsewhere: At Burbank Airport, a Myth is Just a Myth

Werner Weiss @ Yesterland reached the same conclusion albeit much, much later. Since I'm away from my computer though, enjoy his more in depth article. He's provided pictures too!

Ultimately, Disney isn't incorrect in stating that their plane was the actual Lockheed Electra used in Casablanca. None of the principle actors interacted with the plane because they never actually left the sound stage for that scene. Well, that functionary Capt. Renault instructs to take Ilsa's bags appears to be sealing the luggage compartment before takeoff, but he doesn't count. Nobody remembers the actual ending anyway.

Two turnin', two burnin' and flak so thick you can walk on it!

Kooshmeister

That poor truck. The staff car and troop car are in decent condition and in good hands (a private collector and a museum respectively), but the poor truck has been left to rust away at a Disney park?! Shameful!