TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #26
drwynn
IndyFan

I guess it does sort of make sense for Target to wait...I mean, if they put stuff out in a few weeks, it'll be even CLOSER to the time the film comes out...and awareness and anticipation will be even higher than it is right now.
drwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #27
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshade007
So, are you talking about the ones in Tallahassee, I'm assuming? Because I go to FSU, but I'm back home for the summer. It's kind of weird because I know where all those places are. And yeah, that K-Mart looks pretty sketch. I've never been inside, although I did go to the Party City next door to get a rubber snake for an Indiana Jones movie my friends and I did for Media Techniques. And the Target isn't great. It's actually kind of small, although that's where I got the first set of Indy Legos. Toys R Us didn't have them, but this was back in January.

Yeah, I mean the ones here in Tally. Neat to see multiple people here from this area (I've already seen some posts by AnthropologyFSU)!

I actually got my own first couple LEGO Indy sets at the TRU here, but I did so when they were having a "buy one, get one half-price" sale, which made for some good deals even though they were at TRU. I picked up just two of the Indy sets, plus seven from other lines (I'm into LEGO in general). I do plan to get all the Indy LEGO eventually, and not miss out on stuff I want as I've done with the Star Wars sets, but the Indy sets are new enough that I don't have to rush on them all just yet. I'll probably get all the other sets I need in the next couple months, and keep up with future ones as they come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshade007
Thanks for the info, but I don't plan on getting any more Legos, outside of the big Crystal Skull one, which I will hopefully get when my family goes to Disney next weekend. Downtown Disney has the Lego store, and that's where I got Temple Escape and the Well of Souls sets.

I so wish there were a LEGO store around here! Or an Apple store. Tallahassee just doesn't have all the shopping of a larger city, alas (and our malls are kind of sucky).

TRU is a mixed bag for me as far as LEGO goes - on the one hand, it's undeniably overpriced, but on the other it has by far the best selection of any brick-and-mortar store here, so it's still the best place to go shop for LEGO where I can actually pick up the boxes, look at them, etc. - Target, Kmart, Learning Express, etc. don't have nearly as much. On the whole, LEGO's own online store is generally the best way for me to go (just as online stores in general are preferable to most b&m's these days), but I do enjoy being able to pick up and hold the items before I buy.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #28
Mortis
IndyFan

I took the day off today to go hunt all the toys down arounf Spokane, WA. I went to 3 Wal-Mart, 1 Target, 1 K-mart, 1 Shopko and a TRU. The only places that had anything were 1 Wal-Mart and the TRU. One Wal-mart only had the Lego's, but they had all the sets including the $85 KOTCS set.
The lady I asked at Target had no idea what I was asking for. Didn't even bother asking anyone at K-Mart. There was one more Target and Wal-Mart I could have checked out but I think I spent enough....for today.
I ended up spending around $300 today on nothing but Indiana Jones toys. I had to cut my day short because I had to go pick up my daughter because she was "sick". I think she wanted to go shopping with me. The Wal-mart that had all the figures out did have the Mr Potato head for $15. I decided not to get that. I did get 4 out of the 5 12" figures. I saw Mut but didn't want him. NOW I CAN SEND OFF FOR MY ARK!!!!!!
Maybe after I go see Iron Man tomorrow morning (Took Friday off to do that) I'll go around again.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #29
IndySeven
IndyFan

I can't believe it!

I just went to a Wal-Mart and Target and there are no toys or figures there!

The man in Target said they might be out tommorrow or sometime this
weekend, and the lady in Wal-Mart said that they didn't get any in stock today! Oh well, I guess I'll check tommorrow or over the weekend.
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #30
ChromiumBlue37
IndyFan

Thumbs up

My condolences to everyone ought there who went on the hunt and came up up empty handed. Wal-Mart stores had very little of anything!

The Chicago suburbs were well stocked. This morning I hit 3 Wal-Mart Supercenters - nothing. All I could see were half-empty pegs with INVENTORY/Planogram tags all over the place. Maybe that is what is up with Wal-Mart. Meijer stores had zip. Target on the other hand was an entirely different story.
Upon my arrival at 7:55 AM, there was no crowd or line. I walked right in and turned into the familiar action figure aisle. There were clean pegs and a cart filled with sealed boxes just WAITING for me. The Latin stock lady was so friendly and accomodating. I even helped her stock, as I cherry-picked what I wanted. She was so cute and patient, but she just could not get over the $7.49 pricepoint. Thanks to buddy, Jimmy, I had some $5 off Target toy coupons.

After that, I hit one more Target. Later, I found what I was lacking at TRU when they opened! The first thing I noticed was the four-way shelving fixture right by the returns desk. It was packed and beautiful. So, I took a couple of shots with my digital camera. The manager came over and told me that was not allowed. I filled a shopping cart anyway. Was so elated to see the Arabian Horse and German with motorcycle. The Pitfall Trap is the perfect mini-playset! I also have a problem with German Soldiers - I LOVE them. 2 packs, singled-carded. Doesn't matter. Looks like I went ballistic trying to create a mini German Army. Those little goose-steppers are like a new drug! Well today, I definately got my fix!

To everyone who is worried and frantic - don't be. My opinion is that there will be more than enough for us all. During the course of this one day, I witness a LOT of interest from collectors, a few kids and parents. It was a fine day for me. One I have not enjoyed since I bought my original Kenner IJ toys back in the toy department at Montgomery Ward the day after Christmas 1982. Indiana Jones is BACK!
ChromiumBlue37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #31
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
I so wish there were a LEGO store around here! Or an Apple store. Tallahassee just doesn't have all the shopping of a larger city, alas (and our malls are kind of sucky).

Yes, the malls suck. Especially Tallahassee Mall, that has virtually nothing. With the exception of the AMC. I called them the other day and they said advanced tickets were going on sale May 8th, but they weren't sure if they were doing a midnight show. I'm coming back up to visit friends, so we'll be seeing the movie there.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #32
Indy Black
IndyFan

The only store near me(I live in the sticks) is Wal-mart so I wasn't leaving today without something, my girlfriend and I both had to ask(nice but firm) to get someone(anyone) to go in the back and look.

While we were waiting, another employee walked up and asked us what we where waiting for and we both said "Indy 4 toys" and the clerk looked like he had no clue and than added "try May 5th", right at that moment the nice employee lady came out of the back with six cases and said "look your right May 1st"

Yes I could have waited a day or two but why hold them back when the boxes had May 1st printed on them...it blows the mind.
Indy Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #33
FILMKRUSC
IndyFan

I finally found all the toys at 1 walmart but 2 walmarts had nothing, Target nothing, 3 kmarts nothing, TRU nothing, and a 2nd TRU had barely a two foot section of Indy toys (pathetic) across from the customer service counter where many people wouldn't see it.

Who's doing the marketing/distribution of these? Really sad effort for a first day release.
FILMKRUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #34
MISSOURI JONES
IndyFan

i was lucky, i had a friend that stocks the toys at my walmart so i just told hr would you please go look.
and dhe did. i scored all but the spalco, rusian colonal and ugma warror.
i got an extra indy4 indy with the bazzoka and swapped heads with that stupid raders whip action indy. i had to cut the socket and glue the head but it turned out great.
now i have to finish my vintage indy collection.
MISSOURI JONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #35
Edward The Head
IndyFan

Well here's what happened to me. I drove to the Target near me that has a Wal-Mart next store. The Target had a ton of stuff, almost every thing. I bought $250 worth of stuff but found no games and none of the deluxe figures. I got most of the figures there, two of the 12", most of the Adventure Hero's and the car.

Then I walked across to Wal-Mart, they had nothing in, which was funny since they had all the Lego in two weeks ago.

I then drove to another Target, they had nothing out, but I found a guy and he brought stuff out for me. I got two more 12" and Monkey Man which I didn't have.

Then I went to TRU. They had a special display out. They did not have the large Lego though that I really wanted. I got all of the deluxe figures and by accident the car again. I thought I had the truck from the Target. I also picked up an extra few Indy's. They would not sell me the DVD game saying it comes out tomorrow. They did try to over ride it, but even the manager couldn't.

I'm still missing the 12" swordsman, he was not in the 12" box as I opened a new one at Target. I do not have Sallah, Marion, The Russian solider, and the Cemetery warrior. I also could not find but one of the KOTCS Adventure hero's.

I've already spent $400 and not gotten everything, it's insane. I'm not sure if I will be buying two of everything as that's a lot of money. I'm not going to open the 12" figures either so I'm going to have to eBay the Ark.
Edward The Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #36
metalinvader
IndyFan

I had no problems finding my figures at all.I went to Wal-mart right after work (4 in the morn') and they had all the basic figures out.Picked up all 17 of them.A few hours after that I went to another Wal-mart and three of the deluxe figs.Another trip to Toys R Us I found the other four deluxe figs,Scored the Whipping 12' Indy.I'll pick up some of the adventure heros and maybe some of ther other 12 inchers tomorrow.

This is such a great toy line,I freakin' can not put these figures down.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #37
Mortis
IndyFan

My form for the Ark is in the mail as of 5 minutes ago. I opened the 12" figures to get the sticker but didn't take the figure out....except for talking Indy. Love it! One thing though, if you look at him, he looks like a young Robin Williams. Maybe Mork? Nanu Nanu!
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #38
Mr. Z
IndyFan

My Wal-Mart said they wouldn't have toys until May 5th ... what the heck is that about?! Target had nothing either. Why won't they get consistent here?!!
Mr. Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #39
The_Raiders
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Z
My Wal-Mart said they wouldn't have toys until May 5th ... what the heck is that about?! Target had nothing either. Why won't they get consistent here?!!

Weird, I got my figures from wal-mart.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #40
Mr. Z
IndyFan

It's so annoying, as I got up extra early and everything. Hopefully I'll have luck later.
Mr. Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #41
Gobi-1
IndyFan

I was only able to go to one Walmart today after college classes and they didn't have anything. Absolutely nothing.

I'll try another store tomorrow.
Gobi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #42
Agent Z
IndyFan

I checked Wal-Mart again today and they had a few Indy items, BUT they were on this back shelf and without price markers, so maybe this May 5th date is a guideline for the stores? Later today, Jimmy Carter will be at our Wal-Mart, promoting a new book. I hope he *****es about the lack of Indy toys while he's there...

Even when Wal-Mart does start selling the new Indy stuff, I have a feeling they aren't going to have much of a selection to begin with. That leaves Target as my last main hope. We have a K-Mart, but damn it's far away and ghetto as hell.

There is a TRU which I may swing by later next week, but it's less than encouraging to hear that they are charging extra for the Lego sets.

EDIT: I just went to the official Lego store, and they now have the KOTCS sets at what appear to be about as low as one will find them brand new.
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #43
JayDee
IndyFan

No luck either here in Germany, too.. And no one could give me any infos about when they gonna get this items -.-
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #44
phantom train
IndyFan

First, I wanted to say that anyone who went out yesterday, 5/01 (the "official" release date of the IJ toys) and found all or most of these new IJ toys was very fortunate.

After work yesterday (around 5:00pm), I went to TRU and found an extremely small section of IJ toys - the only things they had were the Cargo Truck, the IJ Deluxe figure Pit trap (with the snakes), and the Deluxe German on motorcyle - I got all three, and am lucky I found even those. They had no regular figures, no 12" figures, no other Deluxe figures, and no other vehicles. The only things left were some Legos and Adventure heroes. I suspect they had gotten more items in earlier, but they probably sold out fast.

I then went to Wal-mart, and they had zilch. I looked all through the toy aisles and not only did I not see any IJ toys, I saw no indication that they were making room for them either.
I asked an employee in the toy section about them - he was polite, but confirmed they had no IJ toys at all and didn't seem to know when (or if) they would get them in.

I didn't bother to go to Target, since from what I've read on this board many of them aren't "offically" putting out these toys until later this weekend.

Anyway, I was very dissapointed. The distribution of these figures is very, very poor, considering that they're promoting a huge big budget summer film. Hopefully they'll be more plentiful later.

I'm also a collector of SW figures, and in thinking back to the release dates of TPM, AOTC, and ROTS figures back in 1999, 2002, and 2005, they had so many figures at that time that they were almost literally spilling off the pegs, even weeks after the films were out. Conversely, the figures for this IJ film are very scarce. Obviously, IJ is not nearly as big as SW, but the stores should still have ordered more of these IJ toys.
I am of the opinion that all of the other movie toys from the blockbuster 2008 summer movies like "Prince Caspian", "Hulk", "The Dark Knight", "Speed Racer" and "Iron Man" are dominating the toy aisles to the detriment of these IJ figures, which definitely had the least amount of shelf space in the stores I've seen so far.

Last edited by phantom train : 05-02-2008 at 07:42 AM.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #45
tnswman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way of the dodo
I went to a Toysrus and asked if they had them, and the schmuck gets annoyed and says "uh, they might be in back but we haven't put them out." I just left. I'm not gonna ask for the privilege. Then I found Indy with Ark at Target, and that was the main thing I wanted until a really good "standard Indy" comes out.

Until a good standard Indy comes along???? Man, You have NO idea what you are missing with the KOTCS standard Indy.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #46
tnswman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJones
I hear you man, I am glad now that I pre-order a few, At first I wanted the trill of the hunt , but I worried something like this would happen, so I pre-order, Still got some stuff coming from the SHOP

well as anyone can see from my collection of Indy stuff, I tend to slightly have no control LOL!

I am so shocked that so many towns have NOTHING out yet. In the 5 towns surrounding me, EVERY store has Indy stuff out ( WM, Target, TRU, K-Marts )

This is Nutty.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #47
tnswman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwynn
I guess it does sort of make sense for Target to wait...I mean, if they put stuff out in a few weeks, it'll be even CLOSER to the time the film comes out...and awareness and anticipation will be even higher than it is right now.

LOL! you also forget that Stores are already selling out NOW and Target is missing out on MAJOR sales.....The Post Movie re-stocks will be massive and Target will have EVEN more items to clog the shelves.

It is not good business to allow ALL of your competition to be selling items that you have in stock too....reason will tell you that the CUSTOMERS will go to where the stock is..Most will try their Favorite store 1st but will end up going WHEREVER and paying a higher price if need be.

When K-Marts are selling out and Targets are refusing to stock the SAME product that K-mart just sold out of....That's a Bad problem.

The last time Target did this with Star Wars, It backfired and the Majority of their stock went to clearance while Wal-Mart and TRU kept fresh stock coming.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #48
Arab Swordsman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom train
First, I wanted to say that anyone who went out yesterday, 5/01 (the "official" release date of the IJ toys) and found all or most of these new IJ toys was very fortunate.

After work yesterday (around 5:00pm), I went to TRU and found an extremely small section of IJ toys - the only things they had were the Cargo Truck, the IJ Deluxe figure Pit trap (with the snakes), and the Deluxe German on motorcyle - I got all three, and am lucky I found even those. They had no regular figures, no 12" figures, no other Deluxe figures, and no other vehicles. The only things left were some Legos and Adventure heroes. I suspect they had gotten more items in earlier, but they probably sold out fast.

I then went to Wal-mart, and they had zilch. I looked all through the toy aisles and not only did I not see any IJ toys, I saw no indication that they were making room for them either.
I asked an employee in the toy section about them - he was polite, but confirmed they had no IJ toys at all and didn't seem to know when (or if) they would get them in.

I didn't bother to go to Target, since from what I've read on this board many of them aren't "offically" putting out these toys until later this weekend.

Anyway, I was very dissapointed. The distribution of these figures is very, very poor, considering that they're promoting a huge big budget summer film. Hopefully they'll be more plentiful later.

I'm also a collector of SW figures, and in thinking back to the release dates of TPM, AOTC, and ROTS figures back in 1999, 2002, and 2005, they had so many figures at that time that they were almost literally spilling off the pegs, even weeks after the films were out. Conversely, the figures for this IJ film are very scarce. Obviously, IJ is not nearly as big as SW, but the stores should still have ordered more of these IJ toys.
I am of the opinion that all of the other movie toys from the blockbuster 2008 summer movies like "Prince Caspian", "Hulk", "The Dark Knight", "Speed Racer" and "Iron Man" are dominating the toy aisles to the detriment of these IJ figures, which definitely had the least amount of shelf space in the stores I've seen so far.

Sorry to see you didn't get anything. I went to my Super Wal Mart at midnight on the 1st and they had tons of stuff. They were putting out the Batman and Hulk stuff too but they had enough Indy stuff that I could have bought at least two of everything except the vehicles. They had 6 cases of figures, 6 cases of AH (all Raiders ones but still a ton), 2 cases of 12", 2 cases of Taters, 1 case of the Akator game, 1 case of the whip, and 4 cases of deluxe figures.

I then went to Toys R Us the next day and while they only had a small endcap display at the front of the store they did have the KOTCS Adventure Heroes so I snagged them. They did have a nice selection of standard figures
but a weak display of deluxe figures. Target and K-Mart didn't have anything out and I'm guessing the Wal-Mart I went to wouldn't have had anything out either because it took them an hour to find the skid in the back that had all the Indy stuff on it and bring it out on the floor. They weren't planning on finding it either until I asked about it.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and find something. My guess is that almost all the Wal-Marts have the figures but they might have gotten them so early like mine did that they just shoved the pallet in the back somewhere and don't know where it is.
Arab Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #49
tnswman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumBlue37
My condolences to everyone ought there who went on the hunt and came up up empty handed. Wal-Mart stores had very little of anything!

The Chicago suburbs were well stocked. This morning I hit 3 Wal-Mart Supercenters - nothing. All I could see were half-empty pegs with INVENTORY/Planogram tags all over the place. Maybe that is what is up with Wal-Mart. Meijer stores had zip. Target on the other hand was an entirely different story.
Upon my arrival at 7:55 AM, there was no crowd or line. I walked right in and turned into the familiar action figure aisle. There were clean pegs and a cart filled with sealed boxes just WAITING for me. The Latin stock lady was so friendly and accomodating. I even helped her stock, as I cherry-picked what I wanted. She was so cute and patient, but she just could not get over the $7.49 pricepoint. Thanks to buddy, Jimmy, I had some $5 off Target toy coupons.

After that, I hit one more Target. Later, I found what I was lacking at TRU when they opened! The first thing I noticed was the four-way shelving fixture right by the returns desk. It was packed and beautiful. So, I took a couple of shots with my digital camera. The manager came over and told me that was not allowed. I filled a shopping cart anyway. Was so elated to see the Arabian Horse and German with motorcycle. The Pitfall Trap is the perfect mini-playset! I also have a problem with German Soldiers - I LOVE them. 2 packs, singled-carded. Doesn't matter. Looks like I went ballistic trying to create a mini German Army. Those little goose-steppers are like a new drug! Well today, I definately got my fix!

To everyone who is worried and frantic - don't be. My opinion is that there will be more than enough for us all. During the course of this one day, I witness a LOT of interest from collectors, a few kids and parents. It was a fine day for me. One I have not enjoyed since I bought my original Kenner IJ toys back in the toy department at Montgomery Ward the day after Christmas 1982. Indiana Jones is BACK!

Ohhh yes.. Another Montgomery Ward Indy Child LOL!! That started my passion. I saw a TON of kids and people OLDER than me ( I'm 33 ) buying up EVERYTHING Indy.. It is for sure NOT the Star Wars crowd LOL!

Even though I have had almost Everything Early ( with my 1st Indy figures coming in Feb ), I could NOT wait to get more items.

I am addicted to the Germans too...I have about 18 now LOL! I will buy about 15-20 UGHA Warriors probably... That figure is AMAZING!!

I have my Cemetary Warriors set up to attack Indy and Mutt in my Cemetary Diorama that you can see in the New Aquisitions thread.

I feel like it is 1982 again.....It's PERFECT!!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #50
tnswman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSOURI JONES
i was lucky, i had a friend that stocks the toys at my walmart so i just told hr would you please go look.
and dhe did. i scored all but the spalco, rusian colonal and ugma warror.
i got an extra indy4 indy with the bazzoka and swapped heads with that stupid raders whip action indy. i had to cut the socket and glue the head but it turned out great.
now i have to finish my vintage indy collection.

Man!! You should have looked at my pictures on How to switch the heads without Cutting and Gluing and maintain the working neck.

go to the New Aquisitions thread and look back several pages to last week-end and you can see the two Indy's with switched heads on the two KOTCS Bodies.