Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Nurhachi1991

jones3d said:
Hell, the first one even reminds me the Indy model in Infernal Machine!! OMG

This is like Back to the Future III

Hey I liked Back to The Future 3

Yeah those pics are pretty bad but I'm still sure the final product will look better (y)

Indy still doesn't have his bag in either of those screenshots. Is it possible that they didn't put the bag in the game? It can't be, right? Right?!

The first screenshot from Euro Gamer, the close up, is the best looking shot we've seen, but then again, it's probably from a pre-rendered cutscene. The shot on the bridge...ugh. Clearly the graphics are going to be very disappointing. Every further revelation makes that more and more clear.

The Tingler

I suppose we could hope the animation is very...

... Wait a whip-cracking second, is that the Staff of Kings Indy's holding in the second picture?! It does appear to be glowing!

boba80

robisindy said:
Indy still doesn't have his bag in either of those screenshots. Is it possible that they didn't put the bag in the game? It can't be, right? Right?!

The first screenshot from Euro Gamer, the close up, is the best looking shot we've seen, but then again, it's probably from a pre-rendered cutscene. The shot on the bridge...ugh. Clearly the graphics are going to be very disappointing. Every further revelation makes that more and more clear.
I agree..the first one is the best so far :sick:

Nurhachi1991

robisindy said:

Why don't you turn this into a poll on the IndyCast Rob?

Will Staff of Kings be a bad game........... you decide :D

Nurhachi1991 said:
Why don't you turn this into a poll on the IndyCast Rob?

Will Staff of Kings be a bad game........... you decide :D

Hey, I might do something like that. For me, it's too early to say it'll be a bad game. I'm comfortable saying the graphics are subpar, though. I'll wait to see gameplay and read some hands on impressions before judging the game itself.

But I think there may be a video game poll coming on an upcoming IndyCast.

The Tingler

jones3d said:
ss_preview_7522620090206_100811_0_big.jpg.jpg

Ignore the looks, that could well be the Staff of Moses Indy's holding there. So, you get to wield it...

robisindy said:

It should be pointed out that Indy's NEVER had his bag in this game. Look, no bag!

Udvarnoky

Jesus wept, that last screenshot is horrible. I'm starting think a major problem is the visual palette in general. Why the hell would you make an Indiana Jones game so drab looking with such muted colors and such an overuse of fog/mist? This isn't Resident Evil, for God's sake! I want grit, but I also want some freaking color and vibrancy, too!

I'm still hoping that the game in motion tells a slightly different story.

Irfaan

The Tingler said:
Ignore the looks, that could well be the Staff of Moses Indy's holding there. So, you get to wield it...

Didn't you know? When the game was skill kept as a secret that PR guy did say that the main artifact of the storyline will be a big part to the gameplay. Though in that picture, I doubt it's the staff, it has a curve at the top (these images are sooo bad it's hard to tell!)

Remember the "Krull" weapon in Staff of Kings being playable? That weapon was totally totally fantastic! I love it! Apparently this staff does something whioch makes the physics engine worthwhile before, I doubt it does now though :(

Oh, "and if adventure has a name, it's got to be the Indy-Cast!!!"

Always wanted to say that :D

EvilDevo

The Tingler said:
How-ev-er, there will be scenes in the game very like the movies.

And you know what? I like the Wii. I enjoy playing games with the controller. I like how it is completely backwards-compatible with the GameCube, something both Sony and Microsoft failed to do properly. The virtual console's brilliant too. While it's potential has been squandered on too many crap ports, minigame collections, and developers not using the graphics power it has to the full, this year is looking really good for the console. And it's the only console with both Sam & Max and Strong Bad on it, which is an instant win.

If the story and characters in Staff of Kings are great and well-written, I'll be happy to play it again and again. Much like Fate of Atlantis.

I'm with you all the way on this one. But if the supposed "extra level" which may or may not exist... and the PSP movie sequences are any good, I'll be getting multiple versions.

The Tingler said:

It's clearly the whip.

Okay, maybe not clearly... but I'm pretty sure it's the whip. You can see it curve back and over/behind his left shoulder.

The Tingler

EvilDevo said:
It's clearly the whip.

Okay, maybe not clearly... but I'm pretty sure it's the whip. You can see it curve back and over/behind his left shoulder.

Ok, you're probably right. I guess it's not glowing then.

DocLathropBrown

I'm looking foreard to the game, as I am a Wii owner (Though I also own a PS3). On some level, I'm glad. But those graphics are definitely sub-par. The wii can do so much better. Will they look better on a real Wii? More than likely, but not by much.

Screenshots are compressed jpegs, the full resolution would be better. The game will probably run in Progressive Scan which would make it sharper, and in motion would hide the jaggies better. Not to mention the fact that it will probably run in widescreen (since the Wii can).

Now, will it look much better? Doubt it. But I definitely think it will look better, but still no better than Emperor's Tomb, which I can live with. Hell, I can live with just about any graphics as long as I can make things out, which, hopefully I'm right on the graphics, and things will be clearer on a real TV on a Wii.

Hopefully, gameplay-wise, it will play well. Our best hope for that is if the Wii version was the primary one that was programmed and all of the others are ports, albeit with the graphics being standardisez across the level.

Story-wise, I think we'll be okay. The only gripes most people had with the stories to IM and ET was the extra-dimensional stuff at the end, and since this artifact is Biblical (and is just a staff), I don't think we'll end up in any other dimensions at the end of the game. At least, that's assuming Indy can't use the Staff to open a dimensional rift. But even then, I didn't mind these portions of IM and ET. But I'm a flexible guy.

At this point, I don't see much point in complaining about things until we get to play the game for ourselves.

Morning Bell

I do think the game will probably look a bit better in motion, although by how much is up for debate. Besides Late Spring, have there been any other announcements dealing with the actual release date?

Nurhachi1991

robisindy said:
Hey, I might do something like that. For me, it's too early to say it'll be a bad game. I'm comfortable saying the graphics are subpar, though. I'll wait to see gameplay and read some hands on impressions before judging the game itself.

But I think there may be a video game poll coming on an upcoming IndyCast.

I agree with you I personally think it is going to be a good game and the graphics have to improve by release date. My only complaint is the screenshot of Indy on the bridge does not look like an adult Indy it looks more like a 22 year old Indy. I just hope we get a good Indy model,ragdoll physics and decent voice acting.

Morning Bell

Nurhachi1991 said:
I agree with you I personally think it is going to be a good game and the graphics have to improve by release date. My only complaint is the screenshot of Indy on the bridge does not look like an adult Indy it looks more like a 22 year old Indy. I just hope we get a good Indy model,ragdoll physics and decent voice acting.

Yeah, I definitely hope the model looks a bit better. At least add in the satchel and all the proper gear, if nothing else.

Grizzlor

Nurhachi1991 said:
FOA is only on the Wii because it was a point and click adventure.........

Wii mote = point and click

Escape from Monkey Island was released on PS2, and that is pretty much point and click. It could have been done fairly easily. This might go down as one of the biggest eggs ever laid by a major game company.

Udvarnoky

Grizzlor said:
Escape from Monkey Island was released on PS2, and that is pretty much point and click. It could have been done fairly easily. This might go down as one of the biggest eggs ever laid by a major game company.

EMI is not "pretty much point 'n click." It simply is not point 'n click. It had a direct control scheme that always lent itself pretty well to a console port.

I agree that the FOA easter egg is a great idea. It reminds me of another "game within a game" feature that LEC included way back in 1993 with Day of the Tentacle, which included the original Maniac Mansion.

EvilDevo

Yeah, I can't get over my excitement that FoA is included. Not being a huge PC gamer... not even owning a computer of my own... an easily accessible, no-download/install-required version of the game is worth the price of admission alone. I just hope it's the CD-ROM version with full voice and music.

And if Doug Lee happens to voice Indy in Staff of Kings... I might just explode. Guts everywhere. Pair of smoking shoes where I once stood.

I wouldn't care how subpar the graphics were at that point.

Old school gamers: rejoice and behold! Graphics of the year TWO THOUSAND!
Some sort of direct sequel to Infernal Machine all the way from spring/summer of 2009!