Why does Spielberg and Lucas warn that we will be DISSAPOINTED with Indy IV???

DoomsdayFAN

Hello all. Im new here.

I am one of those few people who WILL NOT look at spoilers for Indy IV. I want to be as suprised as possible. Unfortunatly, I already know a few SMALL tid bits. But oh well. Im trying to avoid anything else.

But anyway, I read on here somewhere that Lucas and Spielberg said that Critics and Fans will be dissapointed with Indy 4. It was an article which I DID NOT read for fear of spoilers. I was hopeing someone would explain to me what they mean, WITHOUT putting any kind of spoilers. If you have to post a spoiler to answer the question... then just let me know: "I cant tell you without spoiling something". Otherwise, I would really like to know why they think Indy 4 will be dissapointing?

Thank You

DoomsdayFAN

Here:

"while Lucas, Spielberg, and their star, Harrison Ford, tell Jim Windolf about the long standoff over the plot, why critics and fans will be upset, and how they’ve updated Indy."

Falco09

Lucas was just commenting on the backlash the new star wars movies recieved from the superfans. He says that with as much time that has passed since the last film fans begin to formulate for themselves what the next Indy flick should be like and when it's not exactly like that when released on the big screen, they get dissappointed, as they did with the SW prequels. Basically there's so much hype that its impossible to meet fan expectations.

LVskywalker

Well, as far as I know it was just Lucas who said the Fans will be upset (Infact he said they allready are upset, what I can't see right now), because he is affraid the movie could be different than what we would expect.
The other thing Lucas mentioned in the article was a spoiler concerning the theme of the movie... it's not directly a huge spoiler, but it shows in which direction Lucas wanted to go.

Spielberg seemed quite optimistic, and as long as he is directing. (y)

DoomsdayFAN

LVskywalker said:
Well, as far as I know it was just Lucas who said the Fans will be upset (Infact he said they allready are upset, what I can't see right now), because he is affraid the movie could be different than what we would expect.
The other thing Lucas mentioned in the article was a spoiler concerning the theme of the movie... it's not directly a huge spoiler, but it shows in which direction Lucas wanted to go.

Spielberg seemed quite optimistic, and as long as he is directing. (y)

:hat: What direction does he NOT want it to go? (If it doesnt give anything away)

Zorg

Well, I've talked with many people who have been disappointed in this film since at least the year 2000. Can't wait to see their faces when KotCS turns out to be excellent.:whip:

Of course there'll always be people whose endless cynicism cannot be redeemed.

Finn

Staff member
DoomsdayFAN said:
But why would they say that "Critics" will be upset? (aswell as fans)
We'll have to keep in mind that this is not the first Indy film that generated negative reviews. ToD's reception wasn't excatly positive either, and this was mostly because general audience thought it wasn't exactly up to par with its excellent predecessor. Now, KotCS is going to compare against the whole trilogy (which is considered excellent as an entity by critics and fans alike), so it's up to a even harder task than any of the previous ones.

Fans, well, if you read these boards back, we've had our own ideas about what this film should be for the past seven years. You can't buy immediate acceptance from a bunch of fans who've all established their ideas about what this film should be. It's impossible for them to do the film we would want to see because they can't pick our brain.

The true value of this movie will be seen in a test of time. We can probably tell if the movie was a success only ten years or so from now. Will it be seen as a natural fit-in part of a quadrilogy, or an odd man out of an otherwise brilliant series, being little too much, made little too late?

DoomsdayFAN

I see. But shouldn't Lucas and Spielberg be like: "Its going to be fantastic! Its the best one since Raiders! This is going to be the biggest movie EVER!!!"

But instead they are like: "Yeah... Critics and Fans will be upset."

I have NO IDEA what to make of that. It kind of scares me. Why wouldnt they hype this thing as the biggest movie ever?

:eek:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DoomsdayFAN said:
I see. But shouldn't Lucas and Spielberg be like: "Its going to be fantastic! Its the best one since Raiders! This is going to be the biggest movie EVER!!!"

But instead they are like: "Yeah... Critics and Fans will be upset."

I have NO IDEA what to make of that. It kind of scares me. Why wouldnt they hype this thing as the biggest movie ever?

:eek:

Two possibilities.

1. The expectations game. Always good to do what you can to dampen down expectations.

2. This seems more likely to me. They're actually right. Fans are loathsome and ungrateful and will be unpleased with what comes out if it does not conform to their expectations, and critics will say that Lucas is past his prime and Spielberg is slumming it and so forth. This isn't a film designed to be a critic's darling. I just think they're being a little fatalistic about it.

Finn

Staff member
One plausible explanation could be related to the fact that there were plenty of accusations towards Lucas about him being lost in his own ego after making the prequels. Perhaps he cares after all what are people's thoughts about him.

Matinee Idyll

George, The reason I loathed the Star Wars prequels wasn't because they "didn't match up with my expectations" but because they were steaming turds. Subtle difference.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Matinee Idyll said:
George, The reason I loathed the Star Wars prequels wasn't because they "didn't match up with my expectations" but because they were steaming turds. Subtle difference.

If they were any old films unbound to the original Star Wars trilogy, would you have loathed them as much? I don't think so. Expectations count.

Edit: Finn beat me to this one, but I'll let it stand.

No Ticket

Because I doubt it's better than Raiders... the original... they shouldn't say that. Saying the opposite keeps your expectations lower... it's great to be pumped. But I mean, I wouldn't be expecting it to be the next Raiders. Lucas knows everyone was waaaay too excited about TPM, and they got let down. The problem with the prequels is the story itself is not as interesting...

1.) It's too political.

2.) Nobody really wanted to see anything in the prequels up until ROTS. All anyone ever really wanted was to see Anakin fight Obi-wan and get fried. We all knew that was coming. We just wanted to see that.

3.) There was no huge empire or struggle between good and evil.. no galactic war, etc.

4.) There was not a character like Han Solo.

Those are the things that doomed it from the start. People were expecting things like that... but they got something different.

Lucas is saying, don't expect Raiders 2. I wouldn't.

Not to mention how iconic and classic the original has become. How can you live up to what is essentially a classic film now (after over 20 years)?

Last edited:

DoomsdayFAN

One thing makes me think that this movie is going to ROCK!!! (Without a doubt) is that both Lucas AND Spielberg are doing it. If it was just one without the other, then I'd be worried. Too much Lucas wouldn't be good, and neither would too much Spielberg (Even though ALL their stuff is awesome). But toghether, they mesh perfectly. They are eachother's ying and yang. Together they balance out well. One doesnt let the other go on with something obsured. Togther they reach a middle ground which, so far, 100% of the time turns out completely awesome.

So I do not fear that this film will be a let down. The only thing I am worried about is that there might be a lack of action. I want this puppy to be as action packed as Raiders. So that would be MORe than Crusade. Can they do it? Yes! Did they do it, and will we get it... ? Only time will tell.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Why'd you do that? Anyone who's interested in this thread will see your post. Better to leave it in a normal style font at the position it originally appeared.

DoomsdayFAN

Does anyone think there'll be a "lack" of action? Or do you think they'll make this one justice with plenty of action?

Like:

More action than Crusade. Maybe equel with Raiders? (It wouldnt AT ALL be impossible to have equivelant action as Raiders)

AlivePoet

DoomsdayFAN said:
Does anyone think there'll be a "lack" of action? Or do you think they'll make this one justice with plenty of action?

Like:

More action than Crusade. Maybe equel with Raiders? (It wouldnt AT ALL be impossible to have equivelant action as Raiders)

Personally I found Crusade was more action-packed than Raiders. The action doesn't really complete the series, but rather the themes--and at this stage in the game I think they should be (re-)wrapping things up. Viz., I'm hoping they can complete the series through devoting a large portion of the time to the new and existing characters, as well as the larger-than-life world the characters inhabit, all the while fleshing out the motifs that should be abundant this time around. But I'm sure there'll be more than enough action scenes. :sleep:

That is :whip: ! ;)