Do you like it that Indy and Marion married?

Do you like it that they married?

• You like it.

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • You don't like it.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • New girl.

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Johnb02

I never liked it that they married. I don't like it even more that she returned. I kind of wish there was a new girl. I never really liked Marion. What do you think about the marriage of the two?

Dr.Jonesy

At first I didn't care for it.

However, if he is going to be married, I'm happy it's to Marion. I don't mind the concept at all, now. I quite like it.

Indy is 58 at that time; it fits to finally be married.

Johnb02

Even though I'm not a fan of Marion, don't get me wrong, I'm happy he was married, but I wish it wasn't her.

Dr.Jonesy

Johnb02 said:
Even though I'm not a fan of Marion, don't get me wrong, I'm happy he was married, but I wish it wasn't her.

I like it; she was the only 'Indy Girl' that was a match for him. She had a history with him and people like him. Not to mention the audience has already been invested in her character.

Forbidden Eye

I like Marion, but was disappointed they brought her back. I've been saying for a while they should've replaced Marion/ Mutt with a new Indy girl(preferably a redhead) IMO it would've improved the movie quite a bit.

Since they did bring her back, I don't mind he got married to her too much, though I do think it closed the character to the point that any future Indiana Jones has is limited.

Stoo

Johnb02 said:
What do you think about the marriage of the two?
Hi, John. Welcome to The Raven.:)

Personally, I'm still undecided as to whether I like the marriage or not.

In a 2008 Raven poll, 64% of 148 voters liked the fact that Indy married Marion. Check out this thread: Your feelings about Indy being married
Forbidden Eye said:
I've been saying for a while they should've replaced Marion/ Mutt with a new Indy girl(preferably a redhead)
I'm on board with you there, Forbidden Eye.:)

Olliana

Although I don't like the idea of a married Indy for a possible future installment, I think it's a good thing he finally did it. Indy was pushing his 60's in that movie. And it seems just right that Marion got the ring.

Maybe we could all cotton up to the situation better if they had fleshed out Marion's character a bit more rather than dumping her down Brody-style.

Brooke Logan

I didn't like it. I'd rather he either didn't marry, or a new woman had been added to this film for him. Just like each movie had a girl for him, I wanted this one to have a new woman. It was part of what I liked about the Indy series, getting to know different heroines (or anti-heroine I guess in Elsa's case).

Johnb02

Hi Stoo. I have read threads where you are in them. Thanks for noticing my joining of the raven. I would always read threads (Alot of them with you) and i just decided to join. And what do you know, my first post and thread, your in it!

I think there should been a red head to.

Stoo

Enjoy your stay, John. 'Tis the best Indy bar in town.:)

In my earlier post I said that I was undecided but now my mind is made up. Since I never voted on the other poll (and it's been closed), I've just voted, "yes", on yours. The sole reason being that the marriage lends more legitimacy to the Old Indy bookends.;)

Johnb02

When I first saw KOTCS, I was really young and it was the first Indy movie I ever saw. And Raiders was the last so when i saw it I heard Marion so my face made a frown and I was like, "Hey wait a minute! Marion! She was in Crystal Skull! She returned in it! Agh!!!!!

Montana Smith

Getting married means it's the end of the serial.

So in a way Indy marrying Marion was a good thing because it means that it's over and there's no danger of a fifth movie.

But what a way to finish. Not with a bang but a whimper. (n)

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
Getting married means it's the end of the serial.

So in a way Indy marrying Marion was a good thing because it means that it's over and there's no danger of a fifth movie.

But what a way to finish. Not with a bang but a whimper. (n)

I disagree with "the end of the serial" Indiana Jones movies don't particularly need a romantic side to make a new film. They are about action. Today being Harrison's 70th birthday is more of a show stopper than anything. Also where is the "don't care either way" option in the poll?

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
I disagree with "the end of the serial" Indiana Jones movies don't particularly need a romantic side to make a new film.

I've seen a few old serials end with the wedding of the hero and his squeeze.

It's something that wraps up the story while the goofball character does something everybody can laugh at before the words "The End" appear on screen.

kongisking

I loved the wedding. It actually got me misty-eyed in the theater, seeing Indy finally find true happiness. This movie could have ended with the words, AND THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER, and it would have worked. I just liked seeing Indy at last become a father and have a family of his own, thus bringing his personal journey full circle. If Indy 5 is made, they'll have a helluva time creating a better ending for the Jones Saga then this.

The wedding can either be interpreted as one of two things: one, as the definitive curtain on the story of Indiana Jones, as I thought, or it represents a new beginning filled with incredible possibilities as far as deepening Indy's character development, and exploring his relationship with his new family.

Goodeknight

kongisking said:
I loved the wedding. It actually got me misty-eyed in the theater, seeing Indy finally find true happiness. This movie could have ended with the words, AND THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER, and it would have worked. I just liked seeing Indy at last become a father and have a family of his own, thus bringing his personal journey full circle. If Indy 5 is made, they'll have a helluva time creating a better ending for the Jones Saga then this.

My thoughts exactly. Corny or not, I got misty, too. I'm guessing more mature (older, mostly married, and having kids) Raveners like the Marion/marriage angle.

Personally, I've always hated that just about any movie sequel involves the main dude getting a new "love of his life." To me that just says he has a new girlfriend that week, and that she'll be gone shortly after the credits roll. Why invest in that? I loved that Marion returned. I even liked the idea of Indy having a son. They just didn't pull it off with CS and Shai.

kongisking said:
The wedding can either be interpreted as one of two things: one, as the definitive curtain on the story of Indiana Jones, as I thought, or it represents a new beginning filled with incredible possibilities as far as deepening Indy's character development, and exploring his relationship with his new family.
I'm with the second interpretation, new beginning, deepening of character, and an exploration of a new life with his wife and family. Not sure if that'd make a great movie, but it's a good way to Indy to wind up.

I'm not much on the YIJC, but in one episode, didn't his kids (son and daughter if I recall) come get him out of lockup? He was jabbering about breaking out of a Nazi prison castle. Was one of them supposed to be an incarnation of Mutt?

I Don Quixote

The first time I saw Raiders, i didn't like Marion. I don't know why, maybe I wished I was in her position. But after awhile, and especially after seeing Crystal Skull, you realize they are meant to be together, and they want to be together. I find myself smirking during that final scene, knowing this meant new beginnings for someone who has faced a lot of endings. I hope they make an Indy 5, and deal with this new part of their lives.

foreverwingnut

On a seperate poll I voted Elsa as my favorite Indy gal, but on the subject of marriage, I think it was only appropriate that Indy should marry Marion. Her father, Abner, was Indy's mentor in the field. Indy was Marion's first lover, which has a special meaning for both of them. She shared in Indy's finding of the greatest of all ancient relics, the Ark of the Covenant. She was just as bull-headed and tough-as-nails as Indy and certainly as self-reliant. I smiled when Indy in KotCS said, "There were a few (loves), but they all had one problem- they weren't you, Honey." I'll repeat something I've mentioned before that holds merit here: Lucas and Spielberg originaly wanted Marion in all the adventures. Like it or not, she was always intended to be Indy's true love.

kongisking

I said:
The first time I saw Raiders, i didn't like Marion. I don't know why, maybe I wished I was in her position. But after awhile, and especially after seeing Crystal Skull, you realize they are meant to be together, and they want to be together. I find myself smirking during that final scene, knowing this meant new beginnings for someone who has faced a lot of endings. I hope they make an Indy 5, and deal with this new part of their lives.

I think the series is rife with new possibilities now, unlike so many on here who think Indy being a dad is somehow going to shackle his badass potential. Um, what? If anything, being a dad will inspire him to be even more tough and gritty if their lives are at stake (look how ferociously badass he was trying to save his father from the tank in LC).

Archaeos

Montana Smith said:

I agree with you. This closure is the one single aspect that makes me doubt that Lucas is truly serious about a fifth film, or that he will be capable to find a story that weaves KOTCS further into a fifth story that builds on the marrying ending of KOTCS. All this talk about V is just coming to terms and dealing with guilt and professional dissatisfaction that the Beards have after their glorious grandious fourth attempt blew up in their faces like a nuclear puff of smoke.

Stoo said:
The sole reason being that the marriage lends more legitimacy to the Old Indy bookends.;)

Do go on, please... I would love to read some elaborations...
You mean because of the guitar-playing grandson and the daughter, i.e. Mutt's younger sister?