The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Here's a contrast between Kerry Gammill's original pencils with inks by the both Karl Kessel and Sam De La Rosa.
Your extreme wealth of rare material never ceases to amaze me, JuniorJones.:hat:

Nice to see the original artwork without the word balloons. I'm surprised to see that Gammill's sketches were so fully rendered AND done in colour!
Rocket Surgeon said:
Great examples of why the comics should have remained black and white...at least its not one of those awful purple pimp fedoras they were "inspired" to give us!:rolleyes:

...let the fans color them, glorified coloring books, (have a contest while you're at it!). Great posts, some muddy inks though!
I may be mistaken but...Weren't the European editions (UK or possibly Germany) mostly black & white with only about every 5th or 6th page or so in colour?:confused: (I recall JuniorJones posting some examples but can't find them.)

In any case, I much prefer "Further Adventures" in colour. Although that non-Marvel Kerry Gammill artwork that JJ posted in the Digital Versions thread looks much better as a black & white pencil sketch than a finished painting.

As I wrote in that thread, outside of the 2 John Byrne issues and the 3 Michael Golden covers, Kerry Gammill was my favourite artist for "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones". Plus, his issues had some of the best stories in the entire run which made them all-around winners.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Your extreme wealth of rare material never ceases to amaze me, JuniorJones.:hat:

Your welcome!

Stoo said:
I may be mistaken but...Weren't the European editions (UK or possibly Germany) mostly black & white with only about every 5th or 6th page or so in colour?:confused: (I recall JuniorJones posting some examples but can't find them.)

Yes. English additions alternated the page coloring. In the digital thread i posted the 1st issue as an example. The German additions are in Color.

Stoo said:
In any case, I much prefer "Further Adventures" in colour. Although that non-Marvel Kerry Gammill artwork that JJ posted in the Digital Versions thread looks much better as a black & white pencil sketch than a finished painting.

As I wrote in that thread, outside of the 2 John Byrne issues and the 3 Michael Golden covers, Kerry Gammill was my favourite artist for "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones". Plus, his issues had some of the best stories in the entire run which made them all-around winners.

I love the Gammill stuff but I think we should note the work of Herb Trimpe who was for the most part matched with unsuitable inkers.

Colletta can be generously described as workmanlike and Bulandi embellishments, whilst nice, over shadowed the pencils.

In my veiw issue 23, which he wrote, penciled and inked stands up as one of the best in the series.

Last edited:

harvey

The IndyCast

Trying VERY hard not to spill the beans too early on this one. Suffice it to say, listeners to upcoming Further Adventures segments on the IndyCast are going to be QUITE pleased with the guest that stopped by Club Obi-Wan only minutes ago. (y)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
JuniorJones said:
For those who are not aware of the reason why the artist team changed on issue 3. This was due to the death of Gene Day by a coronary in his sleep.

Here's part of an interview that took place with Jim Shooter in September 1982.

Jim Shooter: Well, Gene never left. Gene, unfortunately, died last week.

Interviewer: We're talking about Gene Day?

Jim Shooter: Yes, of a heart attack but uh?at the point when he died he was still doing a regular series for us, THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES and quite a lot of other work besides. I know that Gene, like many other guys, was doing some work on the outside for independent, smaller publishers and like that.

I would like to add a bit more context in regards to Gene Day's death and prehaps the Indycast could do a short overview of his career and ultimatley his death, which is interesting within itself in regards to Marvel attitude as Gene deserves more.

Following Gene's death this was published in Comic Scene 7.

Geneday1.jpg

GeneDay2.jpg

and the fallout of from that publication as detailed The Comic Journal 79

cj1.jpg

cj2.jpg

cj3.jpg

Cj4.jpg

cj5.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
harvey said:
Interesting timing, Jr. This was posted recently:

http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/08/c...howComment=1314652487146#c4243224519664826772

I'll check your links out. We're going to be talking about Gene quite a bit starting with IndyCast #136.

He also has a fan page (started by his brother) on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gene-Day-Art-and-Fan-Page/211777422167496

Keep the info coming...I'm enjoying the homework!

I'm aware of this as it was one of the reasons I posted the articles.

I don't think anyone doubts Shooter's recollections or sincerity and most reasonable people understand that Marvel were not responsible for his death. What I found disconcerting was Marvel's actions following Gene's death and how that was handled in public.

harvey

JuniorJones said:
Here's a contrast between Kerry Gammill's original pencils with inks by the both Karl Kessel and Sam De La Rosa.

Kerry Gammill's original pencils

MA28a.jpg

Karl Kessel's Inks.

MA27a.jpg

Original published page with Sam De La Rosa's inks.

MarvelIndianaJones11-12.jpg

another gem for the indycast...:D

I JUST had a very interesting phone conversation about this very page...to be detailed on an upcoming Further Adventures segment on the IndyCast. Hmmm...who IS that with the interest in the shell game...? ;)

harvey

The IndyCast

Some sweet art to review as you get ready for our next segment on the IndyCast. Keith's "Further Adventures" at ComiConn! (y)

wtf1va.png

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
harvey said:
I JUST had a very interesting phone conversation about this very page...to be detailed on an upcoming Further Adventures segment on the IndyCast. Hmmm...who IS that with the interest in the shell game...? ;)

Ha!Ha! That's funny!!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
JuniorJones said:
AH5-11a.jpg

"Wow! There going to more Raiders comics!" Oh! The excitement of 1981...

ah5a-11a.jpg

"Look at THAT! That's AMAZING...Neal Adams is drawing new comics!! No, wait a minute...WOW! more Raiders with JOHN BYRNE!!" Oh! The excitement of 1981...

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
JuniorJones said:
ah5a-11a.jpg

"Look at THAT! That's AMAZING...Neal Adams is drawing new comics!! No, wait a minute...WOW! more Raiders with JOHN BYRNE!!" Oh! The excitement of 1981...

AH7-16.jpg

"No, wait. It seems to be definite!" Oh! The excitement of 1981...

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
JuniorJones said:
AH7-16.jpg

"No, wait. It seems to be definite!" Oh! The excitement of 1981...

AH13.jpg

"Whaaat! John Byrne is off Raiders!! It hasn't even come out yet!!" Oh! The disappointment of 1981...

JuniorJones said:
"Whaaat! John Byrne is off Raiders!! It hasn't even come out yet!!" Oh! The disappointment of 1981...

...which they likely knew by the time that first story hit the stands. ;)

"The carrier pigeon says there's gonna be Raiders books, ma!"