What does Indy say to Shorty on the bridge?

chr0n0naut

Mkay, I gotta know, coz it has bugged me for the longest time.

When Indy says:

"Shorty! Lao Chee, la tu tyun ta" and Shorty nods nervously. What exactly did Indy say? :confused:

I'm guessing he says "get ready I'm gotta cut the bridge" or something that effect, but I would be keen to hear from someone who actually speaks the correct Chinese language the exact words Indy says.

Good question...

A quick Google search has turned up nil. If no one knows, I'll ask one of my Chinese friends when I see them next on Monday.

Joosse

Very good question indeed. I always wondered as well.

Sorry to say I don't have the answer, but you can count on me watching this spot to find out! :whip:

Haha... to my surprise one of my Chinese friends just gave me a ring. While I had her on the phone I asked for help translating this stuff. She told me we can do it Monday morning. I'll run the stuff by her that's not already covered in Stoo's link. She said she speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese.

Montana Smith

ResidentAlien said:
Haha... to my surprise one of my Chinese friends just gave me a ring. While I had her on the phone I asked for help translating this stuff. She told me we can do it Monday morning. I'll run the stuff by her that's not already covered in Stoo's link. She said she speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese.

Looking forward to reading the translations - it'll be great to have the all the Chinese lines in English.

Joosse

Montana Smith said:
Looking forward to reading the translations - it'll be great to have the all the Chinese lines in English.
Including the lyrics to Anything Goes? ;) :p

Indysolo12

chr0n0naut said:
Mkay, I gotta know, coz it has bugged me for the longest time.

When Indy says:

"Shorty! Lao Chee, la tu tyun ta" and Shorty nods nervously. What exactly did Indy say? :confused:

I'm guessing he says "get ready I'm gotta cut the bridge" or something that effect, but I would be keen to hear from someone who actually speaks the correct Chinese language the exact words Indy says.

He said I'm going to cut the bridge tie your wrist around the ropes and tell Willie to do the same.

Montana Smith said:

Oops.... I had forgotten to respond to this topic.

I didn't have much time to run through it with her, but I played a few lines that came to mind.

She at first told me it wasn't in Cantonese or Mandarin and she had no clue what it could be. She conceded that it might just be that it was being butchered by American actors.

She did point out one line to me though.

In Club Obi Wan after Lao Che says that his son has been insulted and Indy replied that it was in fact he who was insulted and that in fact he had spared the son's life, Mr. Shiskabob stands up and starts shouting. She told me he was saying "What did you say!" or "Say that again!"

chr0n0naut

Indysolo12 said:
He said I'm going to cut the bridge tie your wrist around the ropes and tell Willie to do the same.

hahaha best suggestion yet.

I can't believe it can be that hard though. Either it is a real language, or they made it up, or they have butchered it.

I doubt its a fake language - why bother.

The most likely option is that they have butchered it, but surely a chinese person would have some idea of what was being said.

I mean the bald shaman in the village didn't speak a word of english. He literally had to repeat what Steven Speilberg spoke as best he could. Surely Harrison Ford would have been able to make it sound half decent. I mean it sounds convincing...

Kooshmeister

ResidentAlien said:
In Club Obi Wan after Lao Che says that his son has been insulted and Indy replied that it was in fact he who was insulted and that in fact he had spared the son's life, Mr. Shiskabob stands up and starts shouting. She told me he was saying "What did you say!" or "Say that again!"

I did wonder what Chen said in response to Indy saying he spared Kao Kan's life. Makes sense Chen would act insulted and hostile towards Indiana, given that Kao Kan is his little brother and all, but until now I never knew what his words were.