What happened to Short Round?

oki9Sedo

A great idea would be a shot of a photo in Indy' house of him, Shorty and two adopted parents, segueing into a scene in his house.

That ways, his fate is explained, and in an unintrusive and un-fanboyish way. It would feel really natural and fluid.

It certainly beats a cameo as a wedding car chauffeur in Saucer Men From Mars.

Merek Jones

:rolleyes: Forgot about that. I have seen the video on Indy's house. I didn't see any photos of him. Maybe they will in the movie. It be a shame if he is not mentioned at all. I think in some way that it would be a sad non-closed moment.

deckard24

oki9Sedo said:
A great idea would be a shot of a photo in Indy' house of him, Shorty and two adopted parents, segueing into a scene in his house.

That ways, his fate is explained, and in an unintrusive and un-fanboyish way. It would feel really natural and fluid.

It certainly beats a cameo as a wedding car chauffeur in Saucer Men From Mars.
This would be a great way to bring closure to the character!

Dust McAlan

Short Round---where did he go?

So, one of the few problems I have with Temple of Doom is Short Round. Not the character, but what happens to the character after the film ends. This being a prequel means that more happens to him once the credits finish rolling, but in Raiders, which a year or a little more later, there's no sign of Short Round. Yet in Temple, Indy and Shortie act as though they have a father-son relationship, very loyal and loving.

So my question is this: I know that Shortie goes on and becomes an archaeologist himself, but does anyone know what happened to him post-Temple? Does he get adopted or something?

In the novel, it says that one of the reasons he's tagging along with Indy is so that he could get adopted in the States, since the Japanese killed his parents.

Avilos

Maybe Willie adopted him. I know it seems unlikely. But I bet after everything she went through Willie went back to the home to States have a more quite life. Being a entertainer she had money and a more stable life than Indy had to be a full time parent.

Last edited:

Dust McAlan

Avilos said:
Maybe Willie adopted him. I know it seems unlikely. But I bet after everything she went through went back to the home to States to leave a more quite . Being a entertainer she had money and a more stable life than Indy had to be a full time parent.
I actually really like that thought.

According to his wikipedia page, he eventually recovers the Peacock's Eye, which was the diamond that Indy was trying to get from Lao as payment for Nurhachi. So he follows in Indy's footsteps at least

Wouldn't it be funny if Willie DID adopt Short Round, and Indy popped in every now and again to say hi? Think of the tension between him and Willie. Man, that would be a great story to tell.

Avilos

Thanks!

In the Ultimate Guide or the Lost Journal it says that Short Round wishes Willie and Indy would adopt him. Obviously Indy did not. Instead of random new parents I like to think Willie became his Mom. By the end of the movie they seem to be getting along really well. As you say she would have allowed Indy to still see Shorty. While other parents may have objected to that. I also figure that eventually Shorty went to Marshall College and studied under Dr. Jones!

Uki

That is actually a really nifty, sweet idea, there. Willie and Shorty, living in a nice little house, where she has a garden...

barranca

Here's an off the wall idea for ya. How about Mutt and Shortie teaming up and continuing to have adventures in ''Archeology''. Checking in with 'Dad' occasionally, for advice, assistance, etc? Mutt is 22/3 Shortie would be 30(ish).
We already know Shortie went on to be an Archeologist, Indy was like a father, great to think that back in the US he continued to 'sponsor him'.
I could live with this sort of a concept for a 'Fifth' Movie.

Jim Tigernuts

Wouldn't it be funny if Willie DID adopt Short Round, and Indy popped in every now and again to say hi? Think of the tension between him and Willie. Man, that would be a great story to tell.

Actually, I think that would be a pretty awful story to tell.

Lao_Che

There needs to be an Abel G Peña style article that implies this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kwoMN-HG2DA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kwoMN-HG2DA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:whip:

Nurhachi1991 said:
Why doesnt Dark Horse make a story on Indy and Short ROund when they went into Nurhachi's tomb?

In Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Wu Han is the one who tells Indy that they must find the Tomb of Nurhachi to which Indy responds "Lao Che can wait."

Nurhachi1991

Agent Spalko said:
In Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Wu Han is the one who tells Indy that they must find the Tomb of Nurhachi to which Indy responds "Lao Che can wait."

Yeah but Shorty would of had to come with him right?

and how long did Indy no Shorty??

Dust McAlan

Nurhachi1991 said:
Yeah but Shorty would of had to come with him right?

and how long did Indy no Shorty??
See, that's my only problem with Short Round---he's presented as having known Indy for a while, and that they're really close, but then poof! He's gone with no explanation. Perhaps that's because this is a prequel movie, but come on, they could have thought about that.

Considering the fact that Indy has had a history with just about everyone from Mata Hari to Poncho Villa throughout his life I find the fact that Shorty's departure isn't explained not very concerning.

Dust McAlan

Agent Spalko said:
Considering the fact that Indy has had a history with just about everyone from Mata Hari to Poncho Villa throughout his life I find the fact that Shorty's departure isn't explained not very concerning.
Yyyyyeah, I don't count the Young Indiana Jones adventures. They might have been conceived by Lucas and all, but they're basically "Which famous figure can we have Young Indy rub noses with in this episode?"