Lucas Animation - Indy 5 and Beyond ?

inky_skin

Given that Uncle George is currently enthusiastically promoting the Clone Wars animated outing at the movies, could Lucas Animation play a viable part in the future of Indy ?

Pros

- Lucas has extensively developed animation tools for the Clone Wars and will be looking to recoup beyond this project
- Lucas Animation must have the majority of the Clone Wars series in the can by now, and it's unlikely that the whole studio would be working on a single show
- Clone Wars producer Dave Filoni has hinted of other 'projects' on the slate
- The abundance of 'animated' Indy images around at the moment (character keys, Indiana Jones Adventure comic etc) show that Indy transfers well to the artists page
- The fact that, although Indy IV was divisive amongst fans and critics, it made a decent box office return - so the franchise is still (relatively) healthy and therefore viable for further entries
- Indy V, on film, with the major principal leads returning, is - despite fansite clamour - unlikely. Animation would get around this, with actors providing voiceovers only - or substituted with voice artists
- Reduced costs and turnaround time to screen
- Lucas likes having full control over his projects (direction, actors, scripting, visuals) - animation affords him this luxury

Cons

- Purists may not accept an animated feature / series
- An animated show may have to be aimed at kids in order for a network to pick it up (this doesn't by any means indicate that animation is solely a child's format - far from it)

Personally, I'd go for it...discuss ?

Zorg

It could be cool. But if I had to choose between a possible fifth movie and this ? I'd choose Indy V.

Terrible idea. I wouldn?t even see it. If I had to chose between this and Indy 5...I chose nothing. End it before it gets worse.

Gear

My problem is that CG detracts from the realism.

1. The sound is not correct; too 'pure' and 'clean', something you don't get in the tangable field.

2. Usually, they give the movement too much fluidicity, making it unreal.

3. The human element is lost, making you feel like you're watching a video game instead of an 'actual event' that can easily suck you in.

4. For some reason the ideology (especially with Lucas) is that in making something CG, you need to make it 'goofy'. Look at the Star Wars sequels. It's almost like they dumb it down.

These are my four cents.

The Man

Star Wars is the perfect arena for innovation and digital progression - not Indiana Jones. One reason why Crystal Skull sank was its failure to embrace and continue the ethic and old-fashioned techniques of the original three. Wasn't that what they promised to do?

Gear

ResidentAlien said:
Could the search function be a viable addition to your forum-going habits?

In short...

Search!

Don't waste our time.

Ya know, an episode of Robot Chicken comes to mind...

Guy 1: (to Guy 2) "Actually the phrase "Beam me up Scotty" was never used in the serries Star Trek..."

Two policemen burst in and beat the know-it-all with their Bobby Clubs.

DetectiveFork

ResidentAlien said:

Blah, blah, blah. I think the complainers are becoming worse than the people who don't search.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get blasted for responding to old threads. It's one thing if there's an active thread on a topic. But if it's a topic that hasn't been discussed in months or years, what's the harm in a new topic? Just because you discussed something back then doesn't mean newer people have, or that they should be required to read scores of old posts. There's only so much new to discuss. Old ideas will repeat themselves.

inky_skin

Hey all, thanks for your responses. Before I crawl back under the rock from whence I came (ie, the Collecting section of the forum), I'd like to thank ResidentAlien for his no-nonsense approach to topic duplication - I guess we should all remember that our time here is too valuable to be wasted - hence brevity should always win out over discussion. Feel free to feedback on the subject of Lucas Animation in the appropriate thread. Additionally, you may wish to refer to my contribution on how long-term Indy fans are custodians of the character and should be welcoming of new devotees to the franchise and The Raven (you can find this using the "Search" function, with which I am now - and always have been - familiar) - something not demostrated by some "senior" forum members.

Damn, and now it feels like the effort expended in sarcastic chastising of a fellow forum member was both entirely misplaced and wasted.

Incidentally, ResidentAlien - are you a mod here ? If so, perhaps you could've considered a private dressing-down rather than a public insult - far classier.

*MODERATORS, please euthanase this thread*

Finn

Staff member
DetectiveFork said:
But if it's a topic that hasn't been discussed in months or years, what's the harm in a new topic?
True. We don't need to dig up something that'd require a degree in archaeology. Although these threads that were referred to now are merely weeks old and thus they're still relatively fresh... however sometimes the general tone of the reminder (especially coming from a certain member) seems a little hostile for my tastes. We (the upkeep) usually appreciate folks who know how to act like a 'model citizen' but are still known to cause trouble to those who despite those good qualities lack proper skills in diplomatic speech. Just a gentle reminder.

<small>And yeah, I can be a hardarse myself, but it usually comes out of genuine frustration when there's a brainiac who can't see something that's practically sitting in front of his nose (like few threads down the page or 'Forum Rules' section).</small>

HovitosKing

I could be considered a "purist," but I'd rather see an animated Indy adventure set in the 30's or 40's than something like KOTCS all over again. Now, if they wanted to do live-action and set it in the 50's, that's fine, but do it better than KOTCS...I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to have ridiculous stunts like rubber tree scenes, do it all in CGI. It looks less retarded that way.

I saw some buzz a while back about a CGI-animated Ghostbusters 3, which sounds kind of cool too.

HellofaSandwich

An animated series could be really cool, but not in CG -- if Indy gets the animated treatment, it should be in an old-school, gritty hand-drawn style. Something like the Indiana Jones Adventures comic from Dark Horse would be awesome.

DetectiveFork

The CGI Ghostbusters project mutated into a video game with the voices of all the original movie cast aside from Rick Moranis. I'd have preferred an actual movie, animated or not, but this is still pretty cool and is considered a sequel to the films.

As for Indy, I think there's a lot of potential for animated adventures, especially if they cover his WW2 years. It wouldn't feel right if Ford didn't provide the voice, though.

Gobi-1

HellofaSandwich said:
An animated series could be really cool, but not in CG -- if Indy gets the animated treatment, it should be in an old-school, gritty hand-drawn style. Something like the Indiana Jones Adventures comic from Dark Horse would be awesome.

Agreed. I don't see why Lucas Animation couldn't do traditional animation as well. However I would certainly welcome an Indy series even if it was CG animation.

Gear

HovitosKing said:
...I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to have ridiculous stunts like rubber tree scenes, do it all in CGI. It looks less retarded that way.

*chuckles*

I also agree with what Gobi-1 said.

Flip animation would give a better vibe than CGI, but not cartoonie, kiddie stuff. Something realistic much like the art work on the main menu of the original DVD box set.

Grizzlor

I would rather have a video game with Harrison's voice than a CGI movie. At least with the game, you can partake in the action. Harrison would never do an animated movie, and he's simply too important to overrule. Lucas knows nobody cares about Christensen, or most of the other prequel Star Wars actors, their characters, or both. So he's free to do almost anything he wants.