Iron Man 2

sandiegojones

I liked it. As good as the first one to me. I like how Marvel is tying these films together. Did anyone notice based on Tony Stark's position with S.H.I.E.L.D. at the end that The Incredible Hulk film must take place after Iron Man 2 given the nature of the cameo at the end of Hulk? That Hulk ending makes more sense now too. Before it seemed like it was just tacked on but now since we have the presence of Nick Fury and Black Widow and can assume Captain America will have already been signed up it works. I'm psyched for Thor and Cap and hope The Avengers has the heroes fighting the Hulk only to realize he must join. The Avengers is the only logical sequel for Hulk since at the end of that movie Bruce Banner had learned to control his "hulk outs".

I have faith in Branagh for Thor but still a bit scared for Cap. I think it hinges on how Cap and Red Skull are portrayed.

I hope Spidey and other heroes aren't in The Avengers as Marvel has done a great job in rebooting their more interesting characters. Fox and Sony screwed X-Men and Spider-Man and F4 and to be honest they don't translate as well to film even if they are big money makers. I'll take Thor, Cap, Hulk or Iron Man all day over Wolverine and Spidey!

UIMJ

sandiegojones said:
I liked it. As good as the first one to me. I like how Marvel is tying these films together. Did anyone notice based on Tony Stark's position with S.H.I.E.L.D. at the end that The Incredible Hulk film must take place after Iron Man 2 given the nature of the cameo at the end of Hulk? That Hulk ending makes more sense now too. Before it seemed like it was just tacked on but now since we have the presence of Nick Fury and Black Widow and can assume Captain America will have already been signed up it works. I'm psyched for Thor and Cap and hope The Avengers has the heroes fighting the Hulk only to realize he must join. The Avengers is the only logical sequel for Hulk since at the end of that movie Bruce Banner had learned to control his "hulk outs".

I have faith in Branagh for Thor but still a bit scared for Cap. I think it hinges on how Cap and Red Skull are portrayed.

I hope Spidey and other heroes aren't in The Avengers as Marvel has done a great job in rebooting their more interesting characters. Fox and Sony screwed X-Men and Spider-Man and F4 and to be honest they don't translate as well to film even if they are big money makers. I'll take Thor, Cap, Hulk or Iron Man all day over Wolverine and Spidey!

Spidey can't be in the Avengers movie because his rights are still owned by Sony who won't give them up to Marvel Films.

Joe Brody

About what I expected . . .

- Great opening. Using the press conference footage from the end of the first film to serve as the cable broadcast watched by M. Rourke's Ivan Vanko character in Russia was textbook comic book. It was a seemless transition from one edition to the next. If this story had been a comic book, I could imagine the first panel of this edition being a TV screen showing the presser.

-- Love Queens and the old World Fair site getting some love. I also loved the role of the model of the site (I've always been a sucker for models of experimental prototype communities of tomorrow - and world fair models of cities).

- Tony's boast in the Senate hearings that he's "successfully privatized world peace" was a great line.

- People and critics trashing Scarlett Johansson's performance have got it all wrong. She's a true comic book character -- all visual -- and it's effective (just as Rourke's Vanko was great visually -- but notably Anthony Lane jokes that you don't know what special effects are until you hear Mickey Rourke speaking Russian). In short, Johansson and Rourke were as good as Sam Rockwell, Don Cheadle and Samuel L. Jackson (love the one shot with him slouching thus giving him a gut -- this is Nick Fury ????) were bad.

-- Speaking of Nick Fury, I say again Favreau -- whose instincts have been so good for the most part -- made a terrible error when he wasted Jeff Bridges as a mere villain in the first film. Bridges - with his growl and comic timing would've been an invaluable asset as Fury (the glue and common thread to all these Marvel films). Hell, anything would've been better than Jackson. Put good old Michael Madsen on one of those ab workouts, hand him an cigar, don't let him shave - and damn, that's a decent poor man's Nick Fury. There were so many better choices. . . . .

-- Speaking of the Marvel films. The Captain America shield made me very afraid for the future. Anyone ever see the old short-lived Captain America TV show?

-- as an old fan of the comic, I was sorry to not to see a Dymaxion Car at the Stark Expo (it seems that the Audi deal pretty much precludes cars from all other manufacturers).

-- and Oh, yes, Paltrow was marginal. I'm just glad that the cosmic feminist forces are back in alignment now that she is CEO. Just can't have leading female character in a subordinate role these days can we?

Meerkat

I haven't seen it, but I just want to mention...
[I think] I was at the movie theater the day it came out. There was a line stretching all the way from the actual auditorium where Iron Man 2 was being played out to an area of the theater where you could see the entrance. It was one of those lines in which people probably waited since 2 a.m. just to get a good seat....

Kevin

I saw it yesterday. I really liked it, but I agree that it was not quite as good as the first one. Still a great entry, as comic book movies go.

Goonie said:
I like how the Photoshop wizards made Scar Jo's boobs look bigger on the posters. Not like I'm complaining. (y)

I don't believe she needs any help in that regard:

Scarlett-Johansson.jpg

scarlett_johansson_allure.jpg

In fact, I thought she looked smaller in the film itself:

iron-man-2-scarlett-johansson.jpg

Peru1936

I thought it was decent. I was entertained mostly. I got my money's worth.

I really don't care for the Avengers, though, and that fictional team in fact has two of some of my least favourite comic book heroes, Thor and Captain America.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
About what I expected . . .

-- Love Queens and the old World Fair site getting some love. I also loved the role of the model of the site (I've always been a sucker for models of experimental prototype communities of tomorrow - and world fair models of cities).

-- Speaking of Nick Fury, I say again Favreau -- whose instincts have been so good for the most part -- made a terrible error when he wasted Jeff Bridges as a mere villain in the first film. Bridges - with his growl and comic timing would've been an invaluable asset as Fury (the glue and common thread to all these Marvel films). Hell, anything would've been better than Jackson. Put good old Michael Madsen on one of those ab workouts, hand him an cigar, don't let him shave - and damn, that's a decent poor man's Nick Fury. There were so many better choices. . . . .

-- Speaking of the Marvel films. The Captain America shield made me very afraid for the future. Anyone ever see the old short-lived Captain America TV show?

?

I loved how they tried to turn Howard Stark into Walt Disney. Can anyone say E.P.C.O.T. Yes Disney does own Marvel.

Samuel L. Jackson, Thor, and Captain America will doom any futrue Marvel movies that feature them.

kongisking

Beware of tiny spoilers

I had a blast. A really fun action flick. Mickey Rourke was far and away the coolest thing in the movie. I swear, this guy just bled cool. Downey Jr. continues to be awesome, Paltrow was still really sweet and appealing to me, Samuel L. Jackson was priceless in his big scene, Don Cheadle made a surprisingly good replacement for Terrence Howard (War Machine all around ruled in this film), and Black Widow was perfect. Jon Favreau was also pretty fun as Happy Hogan, who gets a bigger supporting role. Is he pulling an M. Night Shyamalan?

The action scenes were a huge improvement (the Monaco scene was just unbelievably great). I was happy to see the movie explore some of Tony's achoholic problems, something that will be fleshed out in full in Part III. And Sam Rockwell was hilariously pathetic as the wannabe-Stark Justin Hammer. Great performances by everybody, and just a really well-done summer picture.

P.S. When I saw the movie, at the part where Iron Man uses his lasers to slice up the robots, the whole theater cheered and clapped. A great moment.

roundshort

DocWhiskey said:
OMG you seen the Thor and Captain America movies already?!

:rolleyes:

I don't have too . . . I just have a really bad feeling about them. Somehow there are some characters Marvel can just not transfer to the big screen (Punisher) and Cap seems to be one. The poster alone for Thor is making me thing he will end up on the Punisher/Captain America/Fantasic Four/Howard the Duck (short) bus.

TheMutt92

Saw this opening weekend (took me a while to collect my thoughts), its not nearly as good as the first, a 3/5 in my book (as opposed to 4/5 for the first). The characters, the plot, the action, the humor was all there, it just felt underdeveloped in some areas, w/ Rhodey/War Machine being my biggest grip.

Personally I didn't think there was enough transition between friend to enemy to friend again, it just seemed kinda sudden at times. Also, the entire Tony Stark/new element aspect went over my head... which dosn't usually happen to me (if someone cares to explain, feel free). Its not that the scene was bad or anything, it was very comic-booky, I just didn't understand it.

Also, we needed more Iron Man. A scene at the beginning w/ him battling and settling some international dispute would've been nice (since we really don't see Iron Man doing what he's 'suppose' to be doing, even just a glimpse).

My complaints are making the movie sound bad, when in fact it was very entertaining and enjoyable. RDJ was his usual awesome self. Sam Rockwell stands out amongst all the newcomers (here's to hoping he's around for Iron Man 3). Also, Jon Favreau really shined as Happy Hogan. Mickey Rourke was a nice upgrade from Jeff Bridges (would've been nice to see Whiplash lead the robots more than just dive in at the end). And Scarlett Johnanson... :D

Overall, enjoyable. But they need to pick it up more in time for part 3 (and the Avengers for that matter).

Lance Quazar

Kevin said:
I saw it yesterday. I really liked it, but I agree that it was not quite as good as the first one. Still a great entry, as comic book movies go.

I don't believe she needs any help in that regard:

In fact, I thought she looked smaller in the film itself:

She was smaller than usual. She engaged in a vigorous training regiment to prepare for the part and dropped a lot of weight. Including in her, ahem, signature areas.

But she looks sensational either way, if you ask me.

Le Saboteur

I hadn't intended on bumping this rather ancien fil, but in between a massive marathon of Asian action films and one outrageous comedy, I've been gradually going through the Phase I Marvel flicks in preparation for The Winter Soldier.

tumblr_mv6mb4xNRv1qzfxm5o4_500.gif

Anyway, somewhere in this massive collection of posts, Joe Brody commented* on the allegedly superior quality of this, Tony Stark's second outing, when stacked against Iron Mon Part the Third. I'd love to see his reasoning. I suppose any of the Iron Man threads would work, but I wanted to specifically comment on the second movie.

*- I started to look for the exact quote, but quickly gave up. Too much digging for an easily paraphrased comment!

I, as a rule, am not a comic book fan. I don't read/collect/whatever comics because of their intangible qualities or the quality of the art. No, but what I do care about are stories and I'm not particular about where they come from. Comics books, like their sister discipline, animation, are a medium, not a genre. When handled with grace and intelligence, they can illicit as much truth, passion, and excitement as any piece of literary fiction.

It's this bar the first Iron Man vaulted over with aplomb, and where the second outing fell flat on its face. It was the typical comic book story; the punch up of the week with the requisite witty remarks and camera mugging. In other words, all surface and very little substance. Oh, I liked it well enough but it was a disappointment when compared to that first movie.

Now, in lieu of the third Iron Man and The Avengers, I like it slightly better.*

*-I still rank it dead last in Marvel's catalog where it just beats out Thor for the worst flick.

Here's why: Stark is humbled in the first flick, brought to his knees almost, but bounces back remarkably well. His gift for mechanical engineering allows him to overcome a new found disability and basically continue life as normal. In the second flick he's got his mojo working overtime. The ARC Reactor might be annoying, but he loves the attention being the egomaniac that he is. He loves the power of the suit and the... well, fringe benefits.

Stark is unquestionably The Business.

The Avengers, however, not only pop Stark's bubble, but tear his worldview to shreds. For the first time, he meets somebody undeniably better than he is (Cap), somebody more powerful than he is (Thor & The Hulk), and this forces him to reevaluate things leading up to his eventual self sacrifice. It wasn't successful, but was excellent set up for the massive crisis of conscience he went through in the third movie.

So, anyway, yeah. Part two works well as a chapter in Stark's life, but as a stand alone picture it still leaves me cold. I vastly prefer the third movie.